Useless Magic Items

akr71

Hero
Hardly an earth-shaking thread, but it was a lot of fun, with a lot of contributors. If you want to lighten the mood at the table, throw one of these in instead.

I wasn't able to install MerricB's tool on my work PC, so I had to copy and paste by hand. The formatting is still wonky. If some one else wants to give it a go, the thread is here:
http://community.wizards.com/forum/dungeon-master-help/threads/4209246

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#1 May 11, 2015 16:52:59
Griffin2099

My players are in the middle of clearing out a magical laboratory where the three main areas of study are Negative Energy (Mostly Undead), Dreams, The Far Realm. We're playing in Eberron btw.

The fourth area in the laboratory has been set aside for personal experiments by the mage wrights that used to work in the lab.

Anyone have any ideas for useless or broken magic items that I can seed into this lab?

I plan to give them an immovable rod and a potion of slipperiness. Random items that I have thought of include a stone that warms slightly in cold weather and potion that makes the drinker smell like roses.

akr71

Hero
Grimcleaver

The trinkets list would be a good place to start, since that seems to be basically what you're looking at making. As far as some ideas, maybe a mask that when you put it on you can see the whispy forms of the dead slowly walking or ominously standing in a crumbled monochrome version of where the user is standing. Maybe a chime that causes everyone in listening range to vividly recall one detail from a dream they had the night before. Or perhaps a preserved dry tongue with an eyeball growing in the center of it which opens, at random intervals, and locks the gaze of anyone nearby, filling their mind with with bizarre alien images and gibbering nonsense words.

akr71

Hero
Lanliss

You could look into the trinket section. One that comes to mind is the crab that moves when unobserved. EDIT:I had the same idea as GrimCleaver. Props to you.
#4 May 11, 2015 20:43:16 (Edited)

transcendantviewer

Hmm... Well, I'll talk to a few of my friends and we'll come up with a list of absolutely ridiculous magic items. One that comes to mind would be a Looking Glass that lets the user smell the object that he puts into focus (Smellascope, anyone?).
#5 May 12, 2015 6:18:34

Eck

Here are a few ideas.
Several cubes of magical ice that never melt. Useful for chilling drinks.
Continual flame cast on a stone that sockets easily into lanterns.
A box with a few buttons on the outside. You can record or replay a few short verbal messages.
Armor Polish of Brilliance - when used on metal armor, the polish causes it to shine brilliantly hindering stealth but providing a small bonus to charisma checks.
A porous block that absorbs heat during the day and releases it at night. In desert conditions this keeps a 20' radius area comfortably cool during the day and warm at night.
Any kind of modern day appliance of convenience: A chest that you place dirty dishes into - 30 minutes later they are clean, a small box that can heat or even cook food, etc.
#6 May 12, 2015 7:28:10 (Edited)

MasterNamer

Medallion of thoughts, ring of mind shielding, and periapt of wound closure.

akr71

Hero
#7 May 12, 2015 7:47:26 (Edited)

Ralif_Redhammer

Howabout a scroll of fireball, but with a range of touch? Or some +1 arrows that are only magical when the target is at long range.
#8 May 12, 2015 8:56:38

alienux

-a small, clockwork frog that can spit out 1 GP per week
-a brown cloth bag that turns anything put into it into a a small block of wood
-a magical lever in the middle of the floor that, when pushed, displays a magical message on the wall for 10 seconds that says "please don't push this lever again"
-a tumbler that causes alcohol to have no effect on the drinker while making it still taste exactly the same
-a liquid that can be poured onto rocks that causes them to bounce like a bouncy ball
#9 May 12, 2015 10:35:50 (Edited)

durntaur

alienux wrote:
“-a brown cloth bag that turns anything put into it into a a small block of wood”

"My hand! What happened to my hand?!"

#10 May 12, 2015 11:28:03

Ralif_Redhammer

The OP said useless magic items, no cursed items. 
I'd guess a gift of one of these was what started the elf-dwarf antimosity.
alienux wrote:
“-a tumbler that causes alcohol to have no effect on the drinker while making it still taste exactly the same”
#11 May 12, 2015 12:31:29

NobleNewb

A ring that changes colour according to the characters mood
Failed experiment at making featherfall boots makes them 10x heavier
A ring that flips gravity for the player
A bracelet which magically displays the time of day or night
A sword that feels strong but when swung at a target it turns to rubber
A helmet that when worn changed the colour of the characters hair at random

#12 May 12, 2015 12:40:26

Orethalion
1. A pair of Coins of Hand Warming. They only function when you have cold hands, such as when out in the snow. Then they warm your hands up to normal.
2. A Comb of Styling. Allows you to comb your hair into any style you like with just a few strokes.
3. A Wand of Lacing. Will lace and tie or untie all laces on clothes you wear. 20 charges.

akr71

Hero
#13 May 12, 2015 13:22:19 (Edited)

Kentus

Here are ten items, which players can't make much use for or are simple bad:
1. Scroll of Ugliness: Seems like any other spell scroll (your choice), unless you cast identify. If someone uses it, he (or the target, depending on the spell it should be), he has disadvantage on charisma checks for a week. Same happens if a wizard tries to copy the spell into his spellbook.
2. Fumbling Die: Whenever you roll this die, it springs and rolls in impossible directions and lands where you have to move furniture to get it back. Also called 'A gamer's die'.
3. Sword of Humming: This swords hums in a low voice when drawn and a loud one, when you're swinging it. No other properties.
4. Speaking Quill: Whenever you use this quill to write something, the quill will read the words you write. Sometimes it remembers you of the punctuation rules and comments your bad handwriting.
5. Box of Poverty: Whenever you put an item made out of gold into the box and closes it, it becomes silver. If you do the same with a silver object, it becomes copper. If you put any other material inside it, it becomes coal, unless it is coal, then the box explodes in a 5ft burst, dealing 3d6 force and 3d6 fire damage (no save).
6. Broken Wand of Measurement: If you point the wand at an object, it should show you, how large it is in any dimension, but for some reason, this specific one can only measure how far you are peeing.
7. Eye drops of yellow: If you use these eyedrops, your eyes becomes yellow. Not only the iris, but also the eyeball. You're seeing yellow, too. And it hurts. Could be almost yellow paint, if it worked anywhere else than the eyes.
8. Magnetic Shield: When you attune this item, it will be magnetic... sadly only to your own gear. And it's cursed, so you can't remove it. When you use a short rest, it attunes automatically. More than one fighter was rendered motionless, since the armor gets stuck on the shield and trying to remove it tends to glue the limbs due iron boots, knee protectors, gauntlets, etc.
9. Boots of Adaptablity: These boots adapt perfectly to the wearers feet. Even the soles will definitely take any shape the floor provides without any smoothening. Beware of glass shards!
10. Powersuit: In this Bruce Lee look-alike suit you feel more powerful. Remember, you're only feeling more powerful, but aren't in reality.
#14 May 12, 2015 13:25:49

NobleNewb

A candle that burns cold making the room it is in colder
A tankard that converts any liquid inside of it to really salty water
A hand mirror that lets you see what you looked like in your youth
A straight razor that when used makes your hair grow back 5x faster
A gem that only looks precious to the beholder, to everyone else it looks just like a rock
#15 May 12, 2015 14:24:44
(Reply to #6)

transcendantviewer

MasterNamer wrote:
“Medallion of thoughts, ring of mind shielding, and periapt of wound closure.”
No, see, those are actually useful items. He's talking about things that are virtually useless, or so minute in effect, that they're basically trinkets.

Griffin2099

These are awesome guys, thank you.
I have the trinkets list but I'm always on the look out for different creative ideas, that and I plan to have about 12 of these labs across the continent so the more experiments the better
#17 May 12, 2015 16:07:48
Lanliss

-A pencil that can only write on stone. The writing just slides off of anything else.
-A book that changes the contents daily, but only if no one is looking. It is never a useful subject, but instead something like the migration patterns of deep sea tuna, preferably from a much earlier date than your players are currently in.
-A small ear, appearing to belong to a halfling. It has a spell on it that allows the original owner to still hear from it, but you have no knowledge of who or where the owner is.
-A hollowed out horn that appears to have come from a demon. Once a year it spontaneously shoots a spout of fire.

akr71

Hero
#18 May 12, 2015 16:45:08
(Reply to #13)
Griffin2099

Kentus wrote:
“depending on the spell it should be), he has disadvantage on charisma checks for a week. Same happens if a wizard tries to copy the spell into his spellbook.
1. Fumbling Die: Whenever you roll this die, it springs and rolls in impossible directions and lands where you have to move furniture to get it back. Also called 'A gamer's die'.”
I love this one

akr71

Hero
#19 May 12, 2015 16:59:52
Griffin2099

A few of my own ideas:

A notebook that only opens if you attune to it.
A Small statue that quotes parables once per day
Eye glassess that will change colour randomly (rose coloured glassess, seeing blue)
A clockwork boot polisher
A small compass that always points towards the nearest source of alchohol
An invisible helmet
Brass knuckles that soften a punch
A flickering wand of light (strobe lighting)
#20 May 12, 2015 18:33:12

Orethalion

One of my all time favorites. It dates back to an April Fools issue of Dragon (I think) in 1e or 2e.

A Liar of Building. It looks just like a Lyre of Building, but when used it just indicates structures that are already built and exclaims things like, "I built that!" and "That's one of mine. Took me a lot of effort to put that one together!"
#21 May 12, 2015 18:34:38 (Edited)

Orethalion

Heh. Just remembered another one.
A Ring of Spell Turning. When used it just announces, "T-U-R-N-I-N-G. Turning!"
#22 May 12, 2015 18:34:58 (Edited)
(Reply to #16)

DarkSphinx

Griffin2099 wrote:
“These are awesome guys, thank you. “
Yes, they are! However, in light of the following:
a magical laboratory where the three main areas of study are Negative Energy (Mostly Undead), Dreams, The Far Realm.
and
“I plan to have about 12 of these labs across the continent so the more experiments the better “

I would advise sticking with items which particularly smack of Mabar, Dal Quor, and Xoriat.  For example, consider the following:
A pillow of black silk, stuffed with bizarre feathers which, when slept on, prevents waking up from external noises, but causes a recurring nightmare (which may or may not tie into the campaign) to occur at precisely eight hours after falling asleep.  Upon waking, there is a momentary (1-6 seconds) blindness in which all the waker sees is the image from the nightmare!

For the future laboratories, use only the areas of study to which that specific lab is dedicated.

-DS

#23 May 12, 2015 18:45:57 (Edited)

akr71

A teapot that never empties but only pours a hot liquid that is, but not quite, entirely unlike tea.

#24 May 12, 2015 19:01:19

durntaur

akr71 wrote:
“A teapot that never empties but only pours a hot liquid that is, but not quite, entirely unlike tea.”
LOL! Now we need something towel-related.
#25 May 13, 2015 7:00:58
(Reply to #15)

MasterNamer

transcendantviewer wrote:
“No, see, those are actually useful items. He's talking about things that are virtually useless, or so minute in effect, that they're basically trinkets.”
I just picked items from the DMG that would be topical based on the campaign details and are almost useless like the OP asked for. Trinkets are a whole other kettle of fish.
#26 May 13, 2015 9:07:44
(Reply to #24)

akr71

durntaur wrote:
akr71 wrote:
A teapot that never empties but only pours a hot liquid that is, but not quite, entirely unlike tea.
“LOL! Now we need something towel-related.”
Towel of Protection: Wrapping this item around you will reduce cold based damage by 2HP. Additionally, you can suck on the towel for sustenance - the different colors of the towel are imbued with the essence of differing sauces and condiments dripped on it over the many years of traveling. Throwing the towel over your head during combat forces your opponent to make an Intelligence check (DC5) or lose sight of you. Unforunately your own attacks are subject to the Blinded Condition. Lastly, the Towel of Protection may be weilded as a whip. A successful hit does 1HP bludgeoning damage + 1d4 Psychic damage.
#27 May 13, 2015 12:48:20
(Reply to #4)

DarthMacho

“One that comes to mind would be a Looking Glass that lets the user smell the object that he puts into focus (Smellascope, anyone?).”
I would definitely get arrested if I owned one of these... ;)

#28 May 13, 2015 12:55:17 (Edited)

Orethalion

akr71 wrote:
“durntaur wrote:
akr71 wrote:
LOL! Now we need something towel-related.
Towel of Protection: Wrapping this item around you will reduce cold based damage by 2HP. Additionally, you can suck on the towel for sustenance - the different colors of the towel are imbued with the essence of differing sauces and condiments dripped on it over the many years of traveling. Throwing the towel over your head during combat forces your opponent to make an Intelligence check (DC5) or lose sight of you. Unfortunately your own attacks are subject to the Blinded Condition.   Lastly, the Towel of Protection may be wielded as a whip. A successful hit does 1HP bludgeoning damage + 1d4 Psychic damage.”
Er, that's actually useful. 

akr71

Hero
#29 May 13, 2015 15:08:46
(Reply to #25)

transcendantviewer
Joined Dec 2014

“MasterNamer wrote:
MasterNamer wrote:
Medallion of thoughts, ring of mind shielding, and periapt of wound closure.
No, see, those are actually useful items. He's talking about things that are virtually useless, or so minute in effect, that they're basically trinkets.
I just picked items from the DMG that would be topical based on the campaign details and are almost useless like the OP asked for. Trinkets are a whole other kettle of fish.”
Trust me, a Pariapt of Wound Closure is actually really strong. Give it to a fighter and now they don't need to Long Rest very often at all.
#30 May 13, 2015 15:11:55

transcendantviewer

I would totally build a Bear Totem Barbarian whose only weapon would be the Towel of Protection.

#31 May 13, 2015 16:22:11 (Edited)

TomPulsar3000

Ooo! Is it to late to submit a few?

Wand of DoodadFinding- Where's that thing you just put down and can no longer find? You just had it! This wand will locate a nearby object (within 20 ft.) that you recently had in you possession (no longer that 24 hours ago). The wand will point your arm toward the object when activated and the magic words (Frustrated growling sounds) are spoken.

Alarming Duck - This large (2 ft.) clockwork duck has a wind-up key in its back that will upon winding begin quacking very loudly (can be heard up to 1000 ft. Away) while waddling and flapping it's mechanical wings. However due to a flaw in its design the winding key will stick fast and the motion of its wings and legs will cause internal mechanisms to perpetually rewind the clockworks making it unable to shut off without destroying it.

Philter of Flatulence - A small bottle of inky black liquid that has the label "Love Potion Antidote" pasted on the side. Will break any charm spell but will give the imbiber loud and constant flatulence for 2d4 days thereafter. No SBD here, they are all loud and disgusting.

#32 May 13, 2015 16:38:04

99typhoons

put in a trap:
behind some books on a desk against a wall is a metal handle, decorating the room are many stone statues, if anyone pulls the handle, it opens a hole to a nozzles that sprays the persons hand up to the forearm with a petrifying myst, and as the spraying stops, one of the statues slides forward and drops some kind of weapon onto the petrified limb, shattering it.
I did this in my game, and my brothers character pushed his companion out of the way to pull this mysterious handle hidden behind some books, and lost his arm.
the companion then used his mage hand spell to pull it again to see if it did anything else.

great moment.
#33 May 13, 2015 18:17:50 (Edited)
(Reply to #28)

akr71

Orethalion wrote:
Towel of Protection: Wrapping this item around you will reduce cold based damage by 2HP. Additionally, you can suck on the towel for sustenance - the different colors of the towel are imbued with the essence of differing sauces and condiments dripped on it over the many years of traveling. Throwing the towel over your head during combat forces your opponent to make an Intelligence check (DC5) or lose sight of you. Unforunately your own attacks are subject to the Blinded Condition. Lastly, the Towel of Protection may be weilded as a whip. A successful hit does 1HP bludgeoning damage + 1d4 Psychic damage.
Er, that's actually useful. “
That's what I get for reading forums and goofing off at work! I meant to say that throwing the towel over your head only worked for opponents with Int <=5. Maybe DC 25 for any creature would work too... and lower Physchic damage to 1d4-2

I'm having too much fun with this.
#34 May 13, 2015 21:16:28
Fimbrial

Useless, fun objects that revolve around death, dreams, insanity, alien geometries, and tentacles...
- A scroll of Animate Bone: Collect all 206!
- Mummy Wraps: Act as leather armor, but render the wearer vulnerable to fire. High quality mummy wraps are sterilized, rendering the wearer resistant to diseases, poison, and necrotic damage.
- The Imaginary Sword: The guard stares at you, befuddled. Throwing his arms in the air, he yells overdramatically, "Augh! I am wounded! Augh, augh, it hurts! Alas, I am slain!" He falls to the floor clutching his chest. After a few seconds, he opens one eye to see if you are still there. (Further combat yields an entire room of bad acting. Any actual injuries cause people to stop pretending and go back to real fighting.)
- Hat of Disguise Self: This hat disguises itself to look like a different hat.
- +5 Foam Noodle: Great accuracy, but deals 0 damage. You can still add Strength and other modifiers you might have.
- Magic Sharpie: It writes on anything! Literally anything, including air.
- Inside-Out Bag of Holding: Attempts to turn it right-side out will always fail, but cause the walls around you to crack and crumble as the bag tries to suck in the entire world. Left in its normal state, it's just a bag.
- Scroll of Summon the Shoggoth Bard: The universe cracks open as if all of reality were nothing more than a curtain over an incomprehensible truth. A pair of tentacles emerge, dressed in fools motley, and proceed to put on a puppet show. From time to time, the tentacles will ask for a volunteer from the audience. If no one volunteers, the tentacles will pick someone. Volunteers take 4d6 psychic damage; survivors receive a signed copy of The King in Yellow.

#35 May 15, 2015 0:13:57
Griffin2099

Guys, I just wanted to say Thank You for these.
I'm sure they will amuse and frustrate my players.
#36 May 15, 2015 8:06:58

samuraivillain2

Lets see
Card of Distraction - When viewed instructs user to look at the opposite side, images change and lead viewer on that there might be something more to it.
Hat of Sobriety - when donned this hat instantly ends the duration of drunkenness, with the drawbacks of the hangover.
Vest of 1000 pockets - This stylish vest has over 1000 pockets on it, not a single one seems to be able to hold an object larger than 1 gp.
Mask of unspeakable horror - when donned this mask mutes the player (as if the silence spell has been cast upon them) and displays visually graphic illusions for them, user must save (will) dc 12 or be frightened for the next hour.
Bust of Handsomeness - this magical bust takes shape of whoever holds it last, when observed closer the bust has enhanced the features of the visage to make it more pleasant to view.
Socks of Slipperiness - Socks act as if the grease spell has been cast under them (DC 13)
If the gnome puts a wall in front of you just roll with it.
#37 May 15, 2015 12:14:06
(Reply to #36)
Lanliss

samuraivillain2 wrote:
“Lets see
Card of Distraction - When viewed instructs user to look at the opposite side, images change and lead viewer on that there might be something more to it.
Hat of Sobriety - when donned this hat instantly ends the duration of drunkenness, with the drawbacks of the hangover.
Vest of 1000 pockets - This stylish vest has over 1000 pockets on it, not a single one seems to be able to hold an object larger than 1 gp.
Mask of unspeakable horror - when donned this mask mutes the player (as if the silence spell has been cast upon them) and displays visually graphic illusions for them, user must save (will) dc 12 or be frightened for the next hour.
Bust of Handsomeness - this magical bust takes shape of whoever holds it last, when observed closer the bust has enhanced the features of the visage to make it more pleasant to view.
Socks of Slipperiness - Socks act as if the grease spell has been cast under them (DC 13)”
I would use the socks offensively. Turn into an ice skating speed demon.
#38 May 16, 2015 10:53:15
Kobalus

The best books I think I own are the 4 volumn Encyclopedia of Magica there are thousands of magic items in there. Some are useful and some are things like a fireproof container or a watertight container, or magic bindings or rope. One that I like is Band of Bird Restraint it is a thin metal or leather band that when placed on a bird prevents it from leaving the building.
#39 May 16, 2015 13:53:55 (Edited)

CCS

An unbreakable stick.

#40 May 17, 2015 14:23:46

BRJN

Love Potion Number Nine - as the song.  May be mistaken for a vial of poison. Instructions for use are easy to misunderstand.
Funky Cold Medina - Again, as the song. Does not work the way an over-eager user thinks it should.  (This one may actually have a subtle Curse bestowed on it.)
Potion of Raise Dead - note that dead people cannot drink potions.
Ring of Reinforcements - When activated, causes a Wicked Witch's Voice to emanate from behind your enemies, saying "Don't make me call out the flying monkeys!" (Nothing actually arrives.)
Scroll of Dispell Darkness - good luck reading this while inside the zone of a Darkness spell.
Grimtooth's Traps - This book describes many over-the-top traps that can be placed in a dungeon.  It can serve as a warning or study reference for the PCs.  The DM who allows this book to pass into a PC's hands is obligated to place at least one Grimtooth Trap in every dungeon, even if doing so is thematically inappropriate.
Cap of the Troglodyte - Made of troglodyte-skin leather, this cap can give you the Troglodyte Stench aura (see the MM). Note that the aura affects YOU just as much as anybody else. Another version is made from skunk hides, and has the appropriate stripe on it.
There was a whole thread of 3.5-era ideas once. (Yes I am that old.) Now I have to search my notes.

#41 May 17, 2015 14:37:21 (Edited)

BRJN

Griffin2099 wrote:
“Eye glassess that will change colour randomly (rose coloured glassess, seeing blue)”
Eye glasses that let you determine a target's true race. Only useful if he's hiding under an Illusion. How do you ever know when you should put these on?

Variant: Made by an Eldreth Veluuthra member, these glasses allow you to detect a person as "Elf" or "Target" (all others) The Gamma World version detects "Pure Strain Human" or "Target".
A more useful variant would detect "member of my secret society" or "not a member". Less useful if the secret society has since become extinct / destroyed.

BRJN

Griffin2099 wrote:
“Anyone have any ideas for useless or brocken magic items that I can seed into this lab? I plan to give them an immovable rod”
A broken Immovable Rod (the test demo) starts to s-l-i-d-e s-l-o-w-l-y when weight is put on it.
It might "not move" relative to a point that IS moving It "keeps formation" with a bird or a ship, say. Or a person.
Or it "keeps formation" with the center of the world - from the PCs' view, it flies off to the Wast at an instantaneous high rate of speed. (Could be tough on the room's walls, until it demolishes itself trying to batter through stone.)
A broken Scroll of Conjuring Servant Outsider might get them Tiamat or Demogorgon or Orcus instead of the low-level elemental they were expecting - with no restraints whatsoever (such as a summoning circle would normally provide) upon His actions.
How about, one room is Dr. Frankenstein's lab but at a very early stage of his experiments?  You see lots of parts for a future Flesh Golem but no idea how to put it together or animate it - also no idea if you have enough parts to make a complete one.

#43 May 19, 2015 17:05:03 (Edited)

Skedrix

Here's a few:
Negative Energy (Mostly Undead)
Scroll of Turn Undead: A rolled scroll with the words "Turn Undead" written in Common on the outside. When used, the user transforms into a CR 1/4 or less undead creature for 1 hour, until dispelled, or until reduced to 0 HP. After the effect is over, the user returns to their normal form with 0 HP, but stable.
Dark Skeleton Powder: A small pouch of black powder that, when placed in a pile of bones before casting the Animate Dead spell, causes the raised skeleton to appear black. Has no effect on the skeleton other than changing its appearance. Contains one use of this effect.
Bracelet of Frail Seeming: A bracelet of tarnished silver, set with a large oval piece of obsidian. It feels cold and strangely heavy if touched directly. Wearing it for extended periods will make the wearer gradually appear sickly and feeble, as though they were moments away from death. The closer to death they appear, the warmer the obsidian gets.
Cantrip Devourer: A smoky glass sphere about two inches across. It absorbs any cantrip cast directly upon it, but does nothing about cantrips targeting someone or something carrying the sphere.
Dreams
Incense of Desired Dreams: Incense that, while burning, allows sleeping characters exposed to it to have lucid dreams. Lasts one hour.
The Sand Man: A small pouch of golden sand. If held during an extended rest, it can be used until the start of the next extended rest in the following manner: By speaking a word of activation, the sand forms into a tiny humanoid shape and attempts to pantomime a dream of the user.
Cot of Seeing: A large folding canvas cot with a frame made of a lightweight, purplish metal, engraved with arcane symbols. Sleeping on this cot prevents normal dreaming--rather, the sleeper has a single moment of an intensely clear dream of a place or event. Upon waking, the sleeper believes it was a vision.
Cord of Twinned Dreams: Two flattened glass beads tied together by a length of silken thread three feet long. When the beads are placed on the foreheads of two sleeping individuals, the beads emit a faint glow as bright as starlight, and the two individuals share the same dream.
Far Realm
Beholder Bee-holder: (Outside) The husk of an eye tyrant that has been converted to an apiary. Touching the apiary summons a Swarm of Bees (as the Swarm of Wasps variant to the Swarm of Insects).
Potion of Hands Upon Hands: A viscous yellow substance in an iron vial. The stopper is sealed with wax, and the wax is pressed with the tiny image of a magic circle. If consumed, the substance tastes like a combination of pudding and offal, and feels like trying to swallow a slug. DC10 Constitution check: Failure: the user is poisoned until their next short rest. Success: the user sees each of their fingertips turn into miniature replicas of their whole hand, each with their own fingertips becoming miniature hands, continuing as small as they can see: a fractal hand. Others who can see the user see the user's fingers move as though knuckles are a mere suggestion as to where and how a finger should bend. User has advantage on manual dexterity checks for one minute, after which the user is stunned until the end of their next short rest.
Whispering Fork: A tuning fork that is silent when struck by or strikes against anything, though it appears normal otherwise. The user, and only the user, will hear strange whispers moments later, at the same volume and for the same duration that a tuning fork would normally sound. No matter what languages the user knows, or how they strain to listen, the whispers never quite make sense. (Throwing in a word or two that the character does know might make them want to listen more.)
The Mad Grin: A small carving of a stylized human head with exaggerated facial features. When viewed directly, its expression is deadpan. When viewed obliquely, the viewer seems to think it is staring directly at them, exposing oversized teeth in an uncomfortably intense smile. If the carving is being held and not observed directly by its holder, the holder feels as if the carving bites them with blunt teeth. Each view of the carving is only true for the viewer. (That is, one can be staring directly at the carving and see a deadpan face while another is holding it, seeing it grin out of the corner of their eye and feeling it bite them.)
#44 May 19, 2015 21:33:38 (Edited)

transcendantviewer

BRJN, the glasses don't really sound all that useless. You could simply always wear them.
#45 May 20, 2015 0:13:44

transcendantviewer

Fork of Gyroscopia
Uncommon (Requires Attunement)
This enchanted, beautiful fork is designed for the lazyman. While attuned to this fork, you may release your grasp upon it and it will follow your whim, performing everything from holding your beef in place for you to cut to spinning pasta to the perfect mouthful, never missing a single stand. However, while holding onto this fork, it will refuse to touch anything even remotely edible and shy away from even the most comely of beef.

Boots of Compelled Sliding
Rare (Requires Attunement), Cursed.
These beautiful boots look to be made of elegant black leather, expertly tailored to be alluring to the eye. When attuned to these boots and wearing them, the wearer must succeed a DC 20 Wisdom Saving Throw or be magically compelled to attempt to slide on any surface that the bottoms of these boots touch. This effect behaves like a Command spell and lasts until the wearer either removes the boots or manages to take a long rest.
Hankerchiefof Ungracefulness
Uncommon, Cursed.
A crimson napkin, accented with brilliant, shimmering golden him. While this item is caried on their person, the wielder of this item must make a DC 10 Dexterity Saving Throw at the start of each of their turns or fall prone. The item houses a compulsion affect, requiring the wearer to make a DC 15 Wisdom Saving Throw each day at dawn to rid themselves of the handkerchief. However, this item is patient and willing to wait centuries to make a fool of others. It is linked to evil itself and thus, cannot be destroyed by any means unless all evil ceases to exist, at which point, it becomes a regular handkerchief.

Remove ads