D&D 5E What are the Most Useless Combinations in D&D 5e?

Zubatcarteira

Now you're infected by the Musical Doodle
I have yet to ever hear anybody say anything positive at all about the spell Find Trap. To the point that I'm even considering of removing it from the magic spell list in general as I fear my bud's Ranger may take it upon our first descent into a dungeon. And then he's gonna give me the confused/weird look on why/how its useless and I'll have to break his heart even more while he gets confused even more.
Behold.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Well, except for the fact that the normal range of a net is only 5 feet, so unless you're throwing the net at long range, you're not moving the creature at all, you're just holding the net. (As a DM, I would probably then rule that the DC to escape the net is equal to your own Athletics check, making a contest every round. Not RAW, but pretty cool.)
I may make this item at some point and add some range to it. As a magic item I can see it being a 20 or 30 foot thrown item.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Fortunately, to the best of my knowledge, 5e very rarely has truly, totally useless options.

But I'd still rank the Battlerager and (pre-Tasha's) Beast Master as very nearly that. Frenzy is equivalent to merely dual-wielding, but comes with a nasty penalty every time you use it, and Intimidating Presence is shockingly weak, especially since it eats your action every round just to maintain it. Beast Master's faults are well-known at this point, enough that Tasha's basically rebuilt its core functionality (which probably should've been our first sign that a revised/anniversary/etc. edition was coming).

Mithril breastplate can be worn under clothing, though! (presumably in an inconspicuous manner, 'cause anyone can wear a cloak over platemail). It's niche but it means there's technically a benefit.

Remove ads