D&D 3E/3.5 Using 4E Monsters in 3E or Pathfinder

zen_hydra

First Post
I don't own the D&D 4E books, but I've heard that the monster stats are easier to use as a GM than the 3rd edition versions.

Is this true, and if so, how hard would it be to use creatures from the 4E Monster Manuel(s) in a 3E or Pathfinder based game?

My group isn't interested in switching to D&D 4E, but as the GM I would love something that makes juggling monster stats a little bit easier.

If you don't feel that the 4E monster stat block is easily adaptable to 3E (or Pathfinder), what other products are available to make a GM's job a little easier when it comes to running the PC's adversaries in combat?

Voadam

Legend
It can be done though there are some differences between editions to note.

4e monsters have more hp, pf saves are static defenses similar to AC in 4e instead of saves, monsters don't have iterative attacks, monsters don't have grapple/CMB scores, and some conditions and effects work differently in 4e.

You can turn the static defenses back into saves by taking away 10, you can make powers that target stats either use the save bonus +10 as a target or make it target the saves.

Note that skills are stat + 1/2 monster level.

Note that saves in 4e means make a d20 roll at the end of your turn, 10+ succeeds.

They have no feats.

They have a few themed powers explained in the page statblock.

Their stat numbers are designed to fit certain ranges for their level and monster combat role (artillery, brute, skirmisher, soldier, etc.)

You have to generate a CMB/CMD score.

In the 4e DMG they have a chart with stat number ranges for monsters broken down by level and combat role. It makes statting up new monsters easy.

In PF there is a chart giving the expected range of stat numbers for creatures by CR based off of Monster Manual/srd monsters. This does the same purpose but does not break them down by 4e monster roles.

4e minions. Take a normal monster and give it only 1 hp. Four of those count as a normal monster in terms of encounter building EL.

Elites are stronger and tougher than normal monsters and count as 2 monsters for EL.

Solos are designed to handle groups on their own, they have tons of hp (x5) and staying power and multiple action mechanics designed to handle a group of PCs dogpiling on them when they are alone.

Other things are to get something like Creative Conclave's Lazy GM series of pdf sourcebooks which provide tons of 3.5 stat blocks.

Adamant Entertainment has a pdf foes generator that provides guidelines to quickly stat up foes caring only about the end numbers and not the normal monster creation rules of HD and levels.

Remove ads