• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Using Ebook Readers for Gaming Books

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
On Thursday Evening, I finally got my iRex DR1000S, the ebook reader with the currently largest screen on the market - topping even the Kindle DX. This device is excellent for reading PDFs without having to print them out - which makes it very useful indeed for reading gaming PDFs.

irex1000_1.png

I've decided to write a series of posts about my experiences with the iRex on my LiveJournal. You can read the series here. Furthermore, if you have any questions about this device and its possible uses for gaming, don't hesitate to ask them!

Primal

First Post
Hmmm.... it's probably handier than reading a PDF on your laptop, but I'm a librarian and I prefer real books over e-books, so I wouldn't buy this.

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
Hmmm.... it's probably handier than reading a PDF on your laptop, but I'm a librarian and I prefer real books over e-books, so I wouldn't buy this.

I'm a bibliophile myself, but... I already own several thousands of printed books. I dread the next inevitable move. This makes a device which can easily store several thousands of books very, very tempting - especially considering that it only weighs a pound and I can take it with me everywhere I go (including to my gaming group).

Furthermore, more and more gaming products are only available as PDFs these days - including the Dragon and Dungeon magazines...

Mexal

First Post
What are the dimensions of this beastie?

I use a PDA for e-books, but that's mostly novels. The RPG book PDFs live on the RPG hard drive here... (subset onto laptop for trips out to play).

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
What are the dimensions of this beastie?

I use a PDA for e-books, but that's mostly novels. The RPG book PDFs live on the RPG hard drive here... (subset onto laptop for trips out to play).

217 x 268 x 11.9 mm in size and 535 g in weight.

However, this is without any protective cover - I haven't bought one yet, but I plan to.

technoir

Explorer
I would love to have one and would definitely use it at the table, BUT there is one major problem. If I am not mistaken those babies are uber expensive.

700 dollars is a lot of money. Don't get me wrong, it is a great device no doubt, but I can't put aside 700 dollars easily and if I could there are some things i would probably spend it on first.

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
I would love to have one and would definitely use it at the table, BUT there is one major problem. If I am not mistaken those babies are uber expensive.

Unfortunately, yes. But like all electronics, they will likely get cheaper every year. I mean, the Kindle 1 had a price of $399 at its introduction. Now its successor model only costs $299 - less than two years after the initial release of its predecessor.

700 dollars is a lot of money. Don't get me wrong, it is a great device no doubt, but I can't put aside 700 dollars easily and if I could there are some things i would probably spend it on first.

Actually, its price was 700 Euros not dollars.

But I figured what the heck - I had just successfully defended my PhD theses, wanted to reward myself in a more tangible form than the diploma (which is still making its rounds through the bureaucracy), and I had received a pay rise by this exact amount. This device is a perfect fit for my hobbies, work, and general lifestyle, and I don't mind paying an early adopter surcharge that much...

kitsune9

Adventurer
On Thursday Evening, I finally got my iRex DR1000S, the ebook reader with the currently largest screen on the market - topping even the Kindle DX. This device is excellent for reading PDFs without having to print them out - which makes it very useful indeed for reading gaming PDFs.

irex1000_1.png

I've decided to write a series of posts about my experiences with the iRex on my LiveJournal. You can read the series here. Furthermore, if you have any questions about this device and its possible uses for gaming, don't hesitate to ask them!

I'm always looking for ways to make my gaming a more electronic experience. Right now, I take my uber big laptop with me that have my books as it weighs a lot less than taking all the books I want to take with me for gaming.

I'm really envious, I wish I could afford something like that...

Could you post a picture of the device displaying a gaming book page, just so that I can die?;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads