D&D 5E Using Magical Devices for Concentration

Esker

Hero
Messing with concentration is risky because of the potential combination abuse effect that comes with it and inability to break concentration from the item.

@dnd4vr said he would still have the wielder make concentration saves to maintain the spell. In light of that, I think this change is safer than a feature that allows concentration on two effects generally, since this way the DM can regulate which specific spells can be stacked.

Ashrym

Legend
@dnd4vr said he would still have the wielder make concentration saves to maintain the spell. In light of that, I think this change is safer than a feature that allows concentration on two effects generally, since this way the DM can regulate which specific spells can be stacked.

That's a lesser-of-two-evils approach. It's still risky to allow stacking more effects. That doesn't change just because another approach could could be even less safe.

Concentration was implemented for a reason.

My recommendation to changes because of magic items would be start small, see how it goes, and add more. Adding more later based on how it goes is better than taking away later based on how it goes as a matter of perspective.

Esker

Hero
That's a lesser-of-two-evils approach. It's still risky to allow stacking more effects. That doesn't change just because another approach could could be even less safe.

Concentration was implemented for a reason.

My recommendation to changes because of magic items would be start small, see how it goes, and add more. Adding more later based on how it goes is better than taking away later based on how it goes as a matter of perspective.

Yeah, what I said above is that if you do this you have to think real hard about what items you hand out (which you should regardless, but even moreso now). You could even have it be a property attached to individual items instead of a blanket one.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
After taking the time to review all the items in the DMG, there are only a few that doing this rule with would make them that much more powerful (namely, Instruments of the Bards, the Staff of Power, and the Staff of the Magi). Many of other items would see more use, but not game breaking or anything IMO.

So, I think we will playtest it and if it turns out I am wrong, we can always remove it.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I certainly wouldn't want to do it in our current game. We already know the BBEG of the whole thing is an uber-arch-mage-type (probably around CR 25 I would guess), and I certainly don't want HIM able to do this! :eek:

Remove ads