D&D 5E Using Manacles in Combat

[MENTION=304]trentonjoe[/MENTION] I am with [MENTION=60210]jaelis[/MENTION], that narrative is just plain whack and smells like power-gaming.

These are manacles...

6595678_1_l.jpg

Do they look like something easily slapped on?

There are other kinds of manacles that are easier to close (snap mancles). Yes I know, not medieval... but we are not playing medieaval but fantasy.

trentonjoe

Explorer
[MENTION=304]trentonjoe[/MENTION] I am with [MENTION=60210]jaelis[/MENTION], that narrative is just plain whack and smells like power-gaming.

These are manacles...

Do they look like something easily slapped on?

Well, a third level thief can pick a lock as a bonus action during combat, do you think that is easier to do?

Azurewraith

Explorer
Well, a third level thief can pick a lock as a bonus action during combat, do you think that is easier to do?
I allways found it amazing that in fractions of seconds (a full round is 6seconds top to bottom) a guy can move swing his sword possibly defend him self dive out of the way of a fire ball and pick a lock. The mind boggles

mrpopstar

Sparkly Dude
Any suggestions on how you would resolve the attempt to put manacles on an unwilling opponent during combat?

Use an Object Action? Opposed check? Sleight of Hand vs Athletics or Acrobatics with the defender having advantage and the attacker having disadvantage? It should be hard but not impossible right?

Should it provoke an Opportunity Attack?
I would rule that the target must be restrained in order for you to place manacles on him (see Basic Rules, 105).

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
I'll let you do 1d6+Dex or Str Manacle damage to him per attack. If they were more like modern handcuffs I'd let you Sneak with them (Finesse)

When he is reduced to 0 hp you've got him defeated with the manacles on. He can be hogtied for all I care at that point.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
After watching some police training videos on the subject, it seems to me that cuffing an opponent is only possible if the opponent is either unconscious or compliant. To achieve compliance, the common practice seems to be to grapple the opponent by one hand and inflict pain on that hand to "persuade" the opponent to offer up their other hand. I'd resolve such an attempt first with a grapple check. Because the grapple is targeted at the hand specifically, I'd most likely impose a penalty or disadvantage on the grappler's roll. Then, compliance could be achieved in one of two ways: either through something like a DC 20 Charisma (Intimidation) check, or (because I use morale checks in my games) by achieving the conditions for a morale check and the opponent failing its Wisdom save.

Quickleaf

Legend

Man, really? I missed that. That's a messed up rule. I see why — from a gamist perspective — they did it, but narratively? That's completely out of whack. Use an Object as a bonus action to like pull a rope or ring a bell makes sense, but a complex task like picking a lock or disarming a trap in a second or fraction of a second? I'm almost tempted to house rule that bit out in my own games.

Anyhow, if this is something you'd like rules for, I'd piggyback off of [MENTION=25352]mrpopstar[/MENTION]'s suggestion. Require the target to be either grappled or restrained before manacles can be put on them.

And if you insist on making it comparable to the Thief's Cunning Action RAW, then do whatever makes the character appear the most awesome. The game "reality/believability" is far less important in this situation than having fun and indulging in the player's power fantasy (no judgment — swashbuckling heroism & gritty realism are both valid forms of gaming). Make a simple ruling and move on.

mrpopstar

Sparkly Dude
Anyhow, if this is something you'd like rules for, I'd piggyback off of [MENTION=25352]mrpopstar[/MENTION]'s suggestion. Require the target to be either grappled or restrained before manacles can be put on them.
My only quibble is that grappled and restrained are distinct conditions. A grappled creature is merely denied movement speed, whereas a restrained creature is denied both movement speed and the benefit of his Dexterity.

:)

Remove ads