D&D 5E Using new characters in Starter Box adventure?

Kurzon

First Post
Hi folks. I have the D&D Starter Set on order, and have read through the Basic rules PDF, and I'm just wondering if it will mess with the adventure in the Starter Set if we use new characters generated using the Basic rules, rather than using the characters included? Just thought the adventure might have events specific to the backgrounds and goals of the included characters.

Cheers.

SquareKnot

Explorer
You are correct. Each of the pre-gen characters does in fact have some background that ties into the Lost Mines story. For example, the dwarf cleric has a bond of "I have three cousins in the Rockseeker Clan who are friends and cherished clan members." The patron who figures prominently in the story is one of those Rockseekers.

If you use the basic rules to create characters, I'd look over the pre-gens and have each of your player characters steal one trait, ideal, bond, flaw, or personal goal from the pre-gens. Alternatively, you can look over the adventure and find connections that make sense for the characters you generate. One idea might be to look at the various societies involved (Harpers, Lord's Alliance, ...) and tie your new characters into one of those groups.

My players have really had a lot of fun when they discover how they are tied into the adventure. Losing this connection would, in my opinion, really lessen the adventure.

Last edited:

Remathilis

Legend
Hi folks. I have the D&D Starter Set on order, and have read through the Basic rules PDF, and I'm just wondering if it will mess with the adventure in the Starter Set if we use new characters generated using the Basic rules, rather than using the characters included? Just thought the adventure might have events specific to the backgrounds and goals of the included characters.

Cheers.

I plan on letting them roll up characters, but then using some of the background elements (revenge on the Redbrands, civilizing the Phandelver area) on the new PCs based on which of the backgrounds they take.

Since for me its a one-shot, they won't mind.

Kurzon

First Post
You are correct. Each of the pre-gen characters does in fact have some background that ties into the Lost Mines story. For example, the dwarf cleric has a bond of "I have three cousins in the Rockseeker Clan who are friends and cherished clan members." The patron who figures prominently in the story is one of those Rockseekers.

If you use the basic rules to create characters, I'd look over the pre-gens and have each of your player characters steal one trait, ideal, bond, flaw, or personal goal from the pre-gens. Alternatively, you can look over the adventure and find connections that make sense for the characters you generate. One idea might be to look at the various societies involved (Harpers, Lord's Alliance, ...) and tie your new characters into one of those groups.

My players have really had a lot of fun when they discover how they are tied into the adventure. Losing this connection would, in my opinion, really lessen the adventure.

Thanks! I think we'll stick to the pre-gens for the starter box adventure. We haven't played D&D in many years, so it will be a good introduction back into the game.

Cheers.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Thanks! I think we'll stick to the pre-gens for the starter box adventure. We haven't played D&D in many years, so it will be a good introduction back into the game.

Cheers.

We're having everyone look at the pregens and decide if they want to use 'em as is, modify them a bit, or make their own. We've also got six players, so as DM, after I've read the adventure (almost done) I'm going to see if I can come up with a totally new connection I can write for the extra player.

No matter what anyone running it chooses to do character-wise, I think it would be a crime to just play it without making the characters directly connected to the events. Even if you make it up on the fly...

Remove ads