D&D 5E Using NPC Spellcasters

Dan Chernozub

First Post
After reading a couple of published adventures and playing a bit as a player, I have an impression that some (most?) DMs shun using NPC spellcasters unless it is a BBEG.

Me personally, while running DnD standard, magic-abundant worlds, I use at least a few low-level spellcasters in any humanoid group, regardless of their alignment/attitude towards the party.

If anything, because the world logic suggests that. If an Orc Tribe is warring with the Dwarven Forpost, why would only one side have a sizeable % of its combatants wielding magic? Obviously, orcs won't sport a lot of wizards amongst their ranks, but still.

On the other hand, I find even a limited spell selection can make an encounter more interesting. It not only brings variety to the mob, it also helps you create group tactics that really set apart fighting against intelligent foes from hacking through hordes of mindless brutes.

For example, a group of Bugbears with access to just a few 1st level spells can do so much more:
Disguise Self/Snare/Fog Cloud to set up an ambush;
Color Spray/Faerie Fire to maximize the damage and chaos;
Alarm the path to their hideout for protection;
etc ...

How often and how are you using/facing NPC spellcasters in your games?

Nevvur

Explorer
Magic is relatively common in my world, but spellcasters are not. They're uncommon-rare as adversaries, but I don't restrict them to boss or miniboss status either. Heavily dependent on the situation. If the party is raiding a cultist's compound, every adversary might be a spellcaster. If it's a goblin warren, maybe they only have a single shaman, if that.

If I had to throw out a rough estimate of their frequency over time in my games, NPC spellcasters comprise about 10% of the ranks of mooks, 30% of lieutenants, and 70% of big bads.

I don't always include spellcasters, and encounters featuring multiple types of NPC spellcasters are infrequent.

S

Sunseeker

I'd say about 10-25% of enemies of races who could be casters are casters. Typically my parties will encounter essentially another "party": one or two defensive types, one or two offensive types and 1 or 2 support types, the latter are usually casters. I run a very limited spell selection so that I can run them quickly and usually use average+1 on damage dice to speed things up. There are some exceptions: dragons are always full casters (I ignore the dragon caster variant rules and give them sorcerer spell-levels based on their age above wyrmling; 5/10/15/20), Drow parties are at least 3/4ths casters (usually 2 battle-mage/EK-types, 2 clerics or sorcerers and then light melee AT or rangers). The same is true for Yuan-ti and other magically-flavored races when encountered.

This is fairly representative of my world as well, that 10-25% of people who take up "classes" (which is again, only about 10-25% of the population) become casters. Mileage may vary depending on the civilization in question.

5ekyu

Hero
It varies but it is not at all uncommon. Shamans, priestess, alchemists/herbalists more often and arcane casters less. By the same token, charms, fetishes, tonics etc as expendables are even more common.

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
Spellcasters are a common enemy in my games. However, I think the reason people are reluctant to use them is because it increases the DM's workload to cast spells. Not only do you have to be on top of the spellcaster's spell list and use their spells appropriately based on the situation, but it takes a good amount of work to either have the spell ready or know what it does.

For this reason, I don't use the spells presented in the PHB or other official sources. I describe what the spell looks like, I figure out roughly the mechanical effect in my head based off of the situation, and set a DC if it's not an attack. It keeps the game fluid and moving, and it keeps the players off their toes. Spells in the PHB, SCAG, XGtE, and ect are for the players. A DM does not need to be bound by such limits, and can be and should exercise greater creativity on the fly.

You can maybe make notes in the enemy's description that they specialize in fire magic, support/protective magic, necromancy, or whatever. Or pre-plan certain tactics. But otherwise, I just kinda wing it.

5ekyu

Hero
Spellcasters are a common enemy in my games. However, I think the reason people are reluctant to use them is because it increases the DM's workload to cast spells. Not only do you have to be on top of the spellcaster's spell list and use their spells appropriately based on the situation, but it takes a good amount of work to either have the spell ready or know what it does.

For this reason, I don't use the spells presented in the PHB or other official sources. I describe what the spell looks like, I figure out roughly the mechanical effect in my head based off of the situation, and set a DC if it's not an attack. It keeps the game fluid and moving, and it keeps the players off their toes. Spells in the PHB, SCAG, XGtE, and ect are for the players. A DM does not need to be bound by such limits, and can be and should exercise greater creativity on the fly.

You can maybe make notes in the enemy's description that they specialize in fire magic, support/protective magic, necromancy, or whatever. Or pre-plan certain tactics. But otherwise, I just kinda wing it.
Agree.

But slightly differently i will also for some pre-buff and then have a short list of spells per slot and reduced slots.

This then allows for changes if the circumstances change with time to prepare... Different spells for tracking down robbers vs sitting at base.

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app

Dan Chernozub

First Post
Nice point,

I usually assume that some cantrips/spells go for utility things and hence make give cantrips/spells to combat-mostly NPCs.

@ Hawk Diesel I am a bit worried about winging it due to balance issues and the risk to make players feel "unfair". How do you handle this to keep yours on the go spells balanced and challenging and not frustrating?

As part of your DM prep for a session, I think it's easy enough to print up a short spell sheet or two for your NPCs using this resource: www.dnd-spells.com

I encourage the spellcaster players to do the same as they add new spells when they level up.

Less time looking up spells in the PHB at the table = more time for the fun stuff at the table

Gadget

Adventurer
I think this is one area where 4e had some great design that has been largely left behind. Monsters/NPCs don't need to follow the same creation rules as PCs: the PHB is for making PCs, not necessarily NPCs/Monsters. The burden and folly of this was made clear in 3e. 5e's simpler system makes it more manageable, but is still constraining and overly complex for most NPCs.

Remove ads