• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

using props to track initiative - an idea

Tzarevitch

First Post
I use Microsoft Excel. It allows me to move characters around when they change order through delaying and readying and also allows me to quickly track and total damage to NPCs. I use spare space next to the initiative count to list special effects (penalties, enviornmental effects etc).

Tzarevitch

Aristotle

First Post
The initiative cards from Game Machanics are probably the best initiative tracking system out there. It speeds combat up a great deal. I've even made cards up for other systems using theirs as a guideline.

DM Genie is a great combat manager if you have access to a computer at the table and the time to learn how to properly use it. I've found, in general, that it allows me to track some aspects of the rules that I might otherwise have forgotten.

Standard 3x5 index cards with character name and Dex on it. Hand them to a player along with cards labeled NPC1, NPC2, NPC3, etc. When you call for initiative, player with cards looks at the top card and reads the name, that player states his init number. repeat for all cards. remove extraneous NPC cards. Sort the cards. That player announces who's up. When a character delays remove his card until he acts. If a character readies an action turn the card sideways so you know when his turn comes around again. Unconscious character's cards are removed and reinserted if they are revived during combat just after the init on which they were revived.

This reduces the number of things the DM must do. It is best given to a player who likes combat.

We've been using the same basic set of cards for about 3 years now of weekly play, 6-8 combats a month. No other method requires less work (for the DM. :) )

Ze

First Post
What works best for us is simply to have a player keep the initiative instead of me, the DM.
Quick and easy, he keeps track of the initiative and calls who's next. I can keep hidden initiatives for me and everything works just fine. :)

KB9JMQ

First Post
We roll initiative each round and one of the players keeps it on a small whiteboard.
This player tells the group who is up next.
This has worked fine for 2 years now.

ackron

First Post
Tzarevitch said:
I use Microsoft Excel. It allows me to move characters around when they change order through delaying and readying and also allows me to quickly track and total damage to NPCs. I use spare space next to the initiative count to list special effects (penalties, enviornmental effects etc).

This is what I do as well. I used to just use scratch paper, or index cards, and this has cut way down on both time to get combat going, and mistakes made when tracking initiave and special effects.

The players cannot see the init order, but they don't really need to.

We have a PC that is essentially the Init. Tracker. We roll init. once/combat (really speeds things up) and she keeps track. (unless someone opts to hold and then the order gets shifted a bit)

However, we have found that the fastest way to do the init. roll is to only do it once/combat instead of every round.

CarlZog

Explorer
Kealios said:
I do this as well. I keep a index file with the monsters I have created, sorted alphabetically by type (or name, if a "named" NPC), and I jot initiative down in my binder as they are called out. Rolling for my mobs, I sort the cards while the first player is acting (writing this down may slow things down a tad in the beginning, but I find it a nice reference).

Then again, I also have magic items written on color-coded index cards like Monte Cook proposed, have loot that hasnt been identified on regular white cards, and spell-effects that the players are under (such as Bless, Prayer, etc) written on smaller purple index cards so the players dont keep saying, "Oh yea, add one to hit for Bless...and oh yea, add one to damage from the bards song, and...oh yea, I get one more from Prayer". That gets old really quickly :)

Kealios

Wow, that sounds like a lot of cards behind the screen. I like the ideas though.

Carl

Voadam

Legend
Queen_Dopplepopolis said:
We have a PC that is essentially the Init. Tracker. We roll init. once/combat (really speeds things up) and she keeps track. (unless someone opts to hold and then the order gets shifted a bit)

However, we have found that the fastest way to do the init. roll is to only do it once/combat instead of every round.

1/combat is the standard 3e rule.

GlassJaw

Hero
I also have magic items written on color-coded index cards like Monte Cook proposed, have loot that hasnt been identified on regular white cards, and spell-effects that the players are under (such as Bless, Prayer, etc)

Yeah, definitely a lot of cards to keep track of but I like the spell card idea. I want the players to make them though - not me. When the cleric casts bless, he can take the card out with all the modifiers and place it on the table so everyone can see it.

I'll be going this route very soon but I still like a system that everyone can see. I don't want either me or another player to have to remind each player when it's their turn.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads