D&D 5E Using shields with two-handed weapons

Play along, please. The premise of my OP is that if you wanted to include it, how would you do it?
Perhaps a feat that allows the use of a buckler shield (+1AC only) with a two-handed weapon. No ability to use a buckler with Shield Master or other feats or abilities.

Or a feat that again doesn't stack that allows a two-handed weapon action and then a bonus action to use your shield for defense until the start of your next turn (i.e. would have to use your bonus action every turn just to keep your AC).

jasper

Rotten DM
Interesting video. I think my two foot round which was 1/2 thick had more weight that his tower shield. BUT I would go with his - 1 to hit and -1 to AC while doing it. And see how it worked.

Last edited:

SirCupcake_0

First Post
Would not the easiest way to go about it just be to give a weapon a magic enchantment that counts as a shield?
So you get whatever weapon you want/need, then a bonus to AC cuz you technically have a shield, and then any fighting styles, maneuvers, or feats that require a shield to work could still be done, because you technically have a shield.

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
How would you do this in D&D?
First, you're not really "using" the shield. It's dangling from your side rather than actively being used to block an attack. There is no way to "control" your shield. So, I don't see any way the shield gives its usual +2 bonus. And, an attack is restricted. You can't get full range of motion or control with your arm being limited in this way.

1611459706895.png
D&D Proposal: +1 AC bonus for shield, -2 or disadvantage to attack rolls. Why the -2, or disadvantage, instead of something light like -1? Without actual playtest, I use the premise that there's more ways in D&D to improve your attack rolls than improve your armor class. Consequently, I'd impair attack rolls to prevent abuse. A -1 would be a minor tradeoff for the damage and AC increase the combo would provide.

Second, some "shields" are really, functionally, just part of your armor. You can't use them to block or duck for cover, but they incidentally provide some protection in the off chance a stray arrow or weapon hits a particular spot. In that sense, you wouldn't need to change anything at all. Rather, it's purely flavor text for how the character looks in battle. It's not a perfect solution (e.g. easy to lighten the load by doffing a shield), but it's a simple one.

1611459960355.png
1611460033698.png

Remove ads