Using Star Wars d20 in D&D?

Mirth

Explorer
Goobermunch said:
I agree with Fletch. Drop the wp/vp system and have force powers do subdual damage. Presto! You've got a system that keeps the main limitation on Jedi. StarWars classes get HP based on their VP die.

The only thing to keep an eye on is the interaction of subdual damage and clerical healing. However, given how quickly subdual damage and vitality damage heal, this isn't likely to be that big of a problem.

--G

Anybody have any ideas on how to convert the lightsaber without making it completely unbalancing (ie. no +5 Brilliant Energy swords, since then the class itself wouldn't be able to use it until high/epic levels)? And what about the DR to AC conversion?

Man I love these boards :D

DerianCypher

First Post
This is a fantastic idea..

Perhaps to balance the lightsaber I'd say make it an artifact or something that increases in power as the person levels. IE at lvl 1 only masterwork but ignores armor level 3-5 +1.

Or you could just make it a +5 keen something or other from level one, but make it so that Jedi in dnd have a vow of poverty so they can never get any other magic items... or they can only have a few thousand gp worth of wealth.

DC

Leohat

First Post
mirthcard said:

Anybody have any ideas on how to convert the lightsaber without making it completely unbalancing (ie. no +5 Brilliant Energy swords, since then the class itself wouldn't be able to use it until high/epic levels)? And what about the DR to AC conversion?

Why not borrow a page from the Samarai class. As the Jedi goes up in levels he gets to 'invest' the lightsabre. Something like this

1st Level
Masterwork

3rd
+1

4th
+2

7th
Defender (or maybe one of the Elemental choices)

10th
+3

13th
Keen

+4

19th
Vorpol (or Brillant Energy)

20th
5+

Epic
(pick from Epic List)

Maybe also have some 'Dark Side' Sabre's with modifiers like Bane, Unholy Weapon, Life Steal.

Mirth

Explorer
Nice idea. To build off of it, how about the making the lightsaber function as an extension of the Jedi's force powers? In the hands of someone who isn't a force-user the lightsaber wouldn't function. Keep the progression you've got the same, but for flavor sake it reflects the Jedi's ability to better focus the and maintain the force. Any thoughts?

Also, anybody want to tackle the DR to AC conversion question?

And one more - what about alignments?

Mirth

Explorer
Here's another thought... Could the rules on droids be converted to another set of rules for constructs?

Let's keep those ideas flowing :)

Mirth

Explorer
Just BUMPing the thread to see if any more ideas are forthcoming... Man these threads sure drop off the front page quickly, huh?

Pbartender

First Post
You want a fun alien? Xextos make great gunslingers...

+4 Dex, -2 Str, -2 Con
Size Small
+2 species bonus to climb checks
Bonus feat: Improved Initiative

Plus, they have four arms... Multidexterity, Multi-weapon Fighting and a quartet of blasters. Yoink!

As far as balancing SW classes with D&D classes... I'm not certain it'd be worth the time and effort. D&D already has classes and/or PrCs that'll emulate anything SW has.

Last edited:

Mirth

Explorer
Pbartender said:
You want a fun alien? Xextos make great gunslingers...

+4 Dex, -2 Str, -2 Con
Size Small
+2 species bonus to climb checks
Bonus feat: Improved Initiative

Plus, they have four arms... Multidexterity, Multi-weapon Fighting and a quartet of blasters. Yoink!

Cool! More ideas like this please.

Pbartender said:
As far as balancing SW classes with D&D classes... I'm not certain it'd be worth the time and effort. D&D already has classes and/or PrCs that'll emulate anything SW has.

Examples, man, I need examples. Don't leave us hanging like that.

Pbartender

First Post
mirthcard said:
Examples, man, I need examples. Don't leave us hanging like that.

Examples? It's not that tough.

There's only really three things that SW has that D&D doesn't...

1. Jedi (the Force)
2. Droids (Artificial Intelligence)
3. Future Technologies (Lightsabers, Repulsors, Blasters, Hyperdrives, etc.)

Jedi easily be emulated by making multi-classed Fighter/Sorcerers with specializations in swords and picking known spells that simulate Jedi powers... Daze, Mage Hand, Resistance, Ghost Sound, Open/Close, Endure Elements, Prot. from Bad Guys, Comp. Languages, True Strike, Charm Person, Hypnotism, Sleep, Silent Image, Ventriloquism, Cause Fear, Exp. Retreat, Feather Fall, Jump... And those are just the Cantrips and 1st level spells. You'd only need a few levels of Sorcerer and a Charisma of 11 for those. Plus you can always take PrCs like the Spellsword or the Mindbender.

If you want a Jedi Guardian-type, take more levels of Fighter than Sorcerer. If you want a Jedi-Consular-type, take more levels of Sorcerer than Fighter.

Droids you make out of animated objects, golems and other constructs. If nothing else, a droid can be considered a magic item that requires Unseen Servant as a spell to create.

Much like droids, any other future tech can be copied with magic... Lightsabers can be Keen Vorpal Wounding Longswords that ignore DR and Hardness... Levitation can be made Permanent on any object... Wands of Magic Missile or Flame Arrow make pretty good blasters... Anything that can send you to the Astral or Ethereal planes makes for a pretty good hyperdrive.

Last edited:

Remove ads