Using weapons as implements

cmbarona

First Post
Heroic tier feat:

Weapon Channeling

Prerequisites: -
Benefit: Choose one weapon with which you are proficient (e.g., Longsword). Choose one implement that you can use. You may use the selected weapon as if it were the selected implement.

How does this feat sound?

There's a feat in Arcane Power which will let anyone take light or heavy blades, or staves as an implement. So yeah, your version is probably fine, but you may want to restrict to melee weapons or something, or clarify that the range doesn't improve.

cmbarona

First Post
Ok, good to know. Although I don't think I need to make that stipulation, since range is pre-defined, and therefore never changes, on Implement powers.

Except now there's a bard paragon path which lets you use a Bow for your ranged implement powers and deliver them using the bow's range, including the option to go "long range" for a -2 penalty. So someone might see that path and assume your feat works the same way.

cmbarona

First Post
Ah, I see what you mean now. Although I still want to keep it open to all weapons, not just melee weapons. How's this:

Weapon Channeling

Benefit: Choose one weapon with which you are proficient (e.g., Longsword). Choose one implement. You may use the selected weapon as if it were the selected implement. If the selected weapon has a range, it does not affect the range of any powers for which you use it as an implement.

I think that should do. I hope the language is clear enough, because I don't want anyone to think that this allows any new uses for implements. I guess that might just be a common sense issue.

Some issues I want to toss out:

1) Should I open this up to weapon groups instead of individual weapons? One reason I kept it to individual weapons was to avoid any confusing language surrounding proficiency; I want people to be proficient with the weapon they use as an implement.

2) Using it as an implement vs. limiting it to enhancement bonus benefits. I don't think this would be an issue, and it would be nice to keep it open to, for example, Elven Wizards using their bows as if they were wands, or whatever.

3) As soon as I can look up appropriate similar language, I also want to open this feat to being re-selected for other weapon/implement combos.

ardentmoth

Explorer
This reminds me of the Kensai. Alot.

And that's a good thing :).

Anyone tried producing a Kensai yet, or should we wait for the Monk to come out first? The wording for this feat could be useful in that application.

Should I open this up to weapon groups instead of individual weapons? One reason I kept it to individual weapons was to avoid any confusing language surrounding proficiency; I want people to be proficient with the weapon they use as an implement.

Nah; could lead to more problems down the road. The warlock dagger implement is a good example, i think, in that one dagger at a time is considered the implement dagger (instead of "all daggers" or "all simple weapons" or whatever).

Last edited:

cmbarona

First Post
?

What Warlock dagger implement? If you're referring to pact blades, that's a specific enchantment, and I'm looking for a feat outside of specific enchantments. Also, I did intend this to be extended to "all daggers" or "all longswords." Given the potential for item turnover, I wouldn't want someone stuck waiting to gain a level to retrain this just because they found an otherwise cooler toy.

Hof

Explorer
It may be a good idea to explicitely state that the proficiency bonus to attacks does not apply when the weapon is used as an implement.

This is probably stated somewhere already anyway, but it never hurts to be clear.

cmbarona

First Post
Ah, very good point. Third try:

Weapon Channeling

Benefit: Choose one weapon with which you are proficient (for example, Longswords). Choose one implement. You may use the selected weapon as if it were the selected implement. You do not add the weapon's proficiency bonus to attack rolls with the Implement keyword. If the selected weapon has a range, it does not affect the range of any powers for which you use it as an implement.

Remove ads