D&D 3E/3.5 v4: Challenge Ratings pdf (3.5 compatible)

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
I tried this. Doesn't account for effective caster level (as paladin and ranger cast at 1/2 HD) and if taken into effect with the sorcerer you still end up with the same inherent difference as my results above with the sorcerer being 50% higher than the wizards and the druid and cleric being more powerful than the wizard.

50% higher in total, or 50% higher for just that portion of CR (spellcasting)? I assume the latter.

First find a base methodology that looks right (and mine does, based on UK's other methods). Then massage that base factor until that gap between the casters rings true to you. .005 too high? Try .0025.

And then-- again, my larger point-- if you're close enough across 20 levels, you're close enough.

bykov

First Post
50% higher in total, or 50% higher for just that portion of CR (spellcasting)? I assume the latter.

Correct.

First find a base methodology that looks right (and mine does, based on UK's other methods). Then massage that base factor until that gap between the casters rings true to you. .005 too high? Try .0025.

And then-- again, my larger point-- if you're close enough across 20 levels, you're close enough.

And in the end, that is what matters, looking good to the person using it. I just cannot seem to find a common factor that aligns, even proportionally, Druid, Bard, Ranger, Cleric, Paladin, Wizard and Sorcerer with UK's numbers.

Bykov.

cure

First Post
Upper Crust's Challenging Challenge Ratings is a great piece of work. Well, well done.

I am having a little trouble, however, applying it to Clay Golem. What about their cursed, unhealable wounds? What best emulates that?

As for flesh golems, I can't quite reproduce numbers. I do the following:

Flesh Golem
HD 9
Str 21, Dex 9, Con Ø, Int Ø, Wis 11, Cha 1

Large CR +.3 + 0 Ability Score Bonouses
Construct CR +0.7
HD 3.15 9x.35
NA 10*.1
Damage 18*.1
DR .5x.5
Immunity Magic 10
Abilities Score -.7 + 0

And arrive at 16.5 rather 16.1. What am I missing?

Thanx.

Last edited:

BryonD

Hero
I am having a little trouble, however, applying it to Clay Golem. What about their cursed, unhealable wounds? What best emulates that?
The system looks at encounters as isolated events. So the unhealing curse is of rather small significance in that regard. Not being able to heal the wound during that particular combat is relevant. But the main effect is more a matter the GM should consider as part of the overall plot line.

It is a good example of how the "this combat" threat and overall threat of a creature are not always the same.

Hawkins8142

First Post
Hi Upper_Krust,

I know that the last reply to this thread was over 2 years ago, but I have been trying to find a copy of Challenging Challenge Ratings v5, and have had no luck. So I figured I would try to contact you here.

Thanks,
Hawkins

Remove ads