Vampires

phillipjp

First Post
Can someone please explain what actually happens when a vampire is reduced to 0 hps? The "Slaying a Vampire" section in the MM is a little ambiguous:

* Does the vampire continue taking damage below 0, or do they stop at 0 regardless of additional damage?

* When they turn to gaseous form at 0, are they still conscious and intelligent, or do they return to their coffin on "autopilot"?

* If they take damage while in gaseous form (i.e., an AOO from a magic weapon while floating through a threatened area), what happens? Ignored?

* Can they return to solid form anywhere, or only in their coffin?

* If they take damage while recovering in their coffin, do they simply pop into gas again, or what?

Thanks for replies. Currently running a party through Heart of Nightfang Spire, and I think I've made the vampires WAY too easy.

durath

First Post
* Does the vampire continue taking damage below 0, or do they stop at 0 regardless of additional damage?

MM page 222 under the fast healing ability: Once at rest in its coffin it rises to 1 hit point after 1 hour, then resumes healing at the rate of 5 hp per round.

Based on the above entry I would say that even if the Vampire is reduced to below 0 it doesn't matter because after an hour in its coffin it will go to 1 hp.

* If they take damage while in gaseous form (i.e., an AOO from a magic weapon while floating through a threatened area), what happens? Ignored?

I'd say so because you just destroy the Vampires body to truly defeat it.

I was gonna further answer each specific question but the entry under fast healing really takes care of it all.

Last edited:

Gromm

First Post

As near as I can tell they continue to take damage from what few things can hurt them (mostly magic missles in my experience. They cant ever really be killed by damage so its not really all that relevant.

* When they turn to gaseous form at 0, are they still conscious and intelligent, or do they return to their coffin on "autopilot"?

They are still conscious. If I recall they have a time limit, but otherwise aren't limited in anyway. Being an intellegent creature they would likely take a roundabout path back to the coffin going through as many cracks and other impassable locals as possible to prevent being followed (and thus destroyed).

See above. The description doesn't say they ignore the damage so they take it.

Only in the coffin. Rather than die they become gaseous. Since they stop fast healing at that point they can't assume a physical form (they'd just insantly turn to gas for having 0 or less hit points).

* If they take damage while recovering in their coffin, do they simply pop into gas again, or what?

I'd say no. Beheading them is, if I recall, a way to destroy them. It would be impossible to do so if they just turned into gas when you hit them. Once in the coffin with 0 or less hps they are effectively helpless in all other ways (like the archetypical movie vampire that lays down until they drive the stake in).

Most of this is based on the actual vampire description, though you have to read between the lines for a few things (like the damage). Most of these issues can be rule 0'd to suit your taste.

Last edited:

Dr. Zoom

First Post
phillipjp said:
Can someone please explain what actually happens when a vampire is reduced to 0 hps? The "Slaying a Vampire" section in the MM is a little ambiguous:

I suppose you can cause damage, but it would have little or no effect.

They are still conscious and intelligent.

Once the vampire is below 0 hp, there is little point in doing more damage. It must return to its coffin within 2 hours or be destroyed. It is most vulnerable during this time. I would do my best to get to its lair and destroy it before it has a chance to heal.

Their coffin. They rise to 1 hp after one hour of rest, then begin fast healing 5 hp per round.

Depends. If you catch one in their coffin, just put a stake through its heart.

Remove ads