• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Vancian Casting and Rituals - A Solution

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
Here's an idea. Wizards still prepare spells, as they always have, and those spells that they have prepared can be cast quickly. But then allow casters to cast spells directly from their spellbook if they aren't prepared. Rituals would take at least 1 minute [Edit: one full round] to cast. Of course, some spells would be ritual-only, like rasing the dead or other spells that always had long casting times. Why should you have to prepare those spells anyway? They're so situational.

I think this would be a great way of bridging the gap between spells and rituals, and addressing alot of the problems people have with vancian casting in a way that makes sense. I always wondered why my wizard couldn't cast a spell directly out of his spellbook, given enough time. Wizards in 3e could effectively do this by leaving slots open, but I think this is a better way.

[Edit: So to summarize my idea (and with a few refinements after thinking about it some more and reading your replies), it would work basically like this:

1. Wizards still "prepare" spells. This gives them a list of spells that they can call upon quickly and reliably that day.

2. If a wizard needs to cast a spell that he hasn't prepared, but he has learned and copied into his spellbook, he can attempt to "book cast" it, i.e. cast it directly out of his spellbook. This would take a full round of casting (like 3e summon monster spells, you start casting on your turn and finish on your next turn). The wizard must obviously have the spellbook in hand, and must make a Spellcraft check (or similar check, depending on how skills are implemented). Failure on this check means the spell slot and action are wasted. It may even be possible that failing by 5 or more (or some other appropriate margin) would cause the spell to miscast.

3. There would still be ritual spells. These spells wouldn't be prepared at all. They'd only be cast directly from a spellbook, and their casting time could be minutes or even hours, depening on the spell. This would include spells that have always had long casting times, like Raise Dead.

Last edited:

Glade Riven

Adventurer
Not a bad idea. I'd maybe make rituals longer than a minute or 5 to cast, though. At least the more powerful ones. Maybe have it take as much time as crafting magical item?

Crazy Jerome

First Post
Not a bad idea. You could expand that to go the other way, too. Have some rituals that let a wizard (or other caster) temporarily turn on or retrain other spells. Basically, you trade the time and cost of the ritual in order to get a regular spell that you an use for an encounter or three.

Edit: I swear I typed that first sentence before the previous post appeared. Oh, and Transbot9, "Jinx". Make saving throw. :D

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
Not a bad idea. I'd maybe make rituals longer than a minute or 5 to cast, though. At least the more powerful ones. Maybe have it take as much time as crafting magical item?

The 1 minute casting time I mentioned would be for spells that normally only take a standard action to cast (or any casting time less than a minute). There would still be ritual-only spells, and those could take 10 minutes, hours or even longer to cast. Ritual spells would only be castable in ritual form, you couldn't prepare them. To spare people any confusion, I wouldn't even call it ritual casting unless the spell was actually a ritual. I'd call it book-casting or something like that.

Teataine

Explorer
This is pretty much what I've been going for in my homebrew, so I totally agree with this solution. I'm also hoping WotC does something similar.

DonTadow

First Post
Problem is, who wants to wait 10 rounds to see if they can cast fireball. Most spells need to be cast quickly.

If not aspell point system, some type of system that allows a wizard to prepare spells anytime throughout the day and in less than an hour. Perhaps a ritual to restore spell slots and then ready a spell from his/her book).

Teataine

Explorer
Problem is, who wants to wait 10 rounds to see if they can cast fireball. Most spells need to be cast quickly.

If not aspell point system, some type of system that allows a wizard to prepare spells anytime throughout the day and in less than an hour. Perhaps a ritual to restore spell slots and then ready a spell from his/her book).
Why "can cast"?

Under this system, the fireball could be conjured up in one minute (or 10 turns) if casting "from the book", after which you can fling it. Otherwise you cast it, and then store or "memorize" it. At an opportune moment, the fireball is released or "cast".

Spells that need to be cast quickly (usually combat-related but also stuff like Featherfall) can be cast and stored for instant use later, while others are cast like rituals.

Just give the wizard less memorization slots and bingo, no need for 15 minute adventuring day, or 8 hours sleep to memorize. Take 10 minutes to ready your instant spells and you can cast the rest from your tome (not unlike casting from a scroll).

LurkAway

First Post
But then allow casters to cast spells directly from their spellbook as rituals if they aren't prepared.
This is one of those great ideas that seems so obvious that I'd smack myself on the forehead wondering why I never thought of it before.

Could have unintended gameplay consequences, but as an idea, it makes complete sense.

mkill

Adventurer
But for most spells, it's pretty clear whether you want to cast them while adventuring (where there is plenty of time for a ritual) or in combat or a social conflict (where every round counts). Under your system, Wizards will usually prepare Fireball but ritual-cast Knock. So you might as well split combat spells and rituals, like 4E did.

Now, 4E rituals had a few issues. For example, the Knock ritual takes 10 minutes, and costs 35 gp on top, and all you get is an Arcana check +5 that replaces a Thievery check. In our group, few rituals were ever used because they are either too slow, too weak, too expensive or too boring. The rituals chapter simply was not exciting at all.

Still, the general idea is useful, it just needs to be executed in a more exciting way.

Remove ads