• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Vancian Magic, I love it.

Do you also love Vancian magic?

• Yes! My vancian magics, let me show you them.

Votes: 73 35.1%
  • Yes! Also, all wizards should wear pointy hats.

Votes: 51 24.5%
  • No, I hate magics and pointy hats.

Votes: 39 18.8%
  • No, there is something wrong with me.

Votes: 45 21.6%

rkwoodard

First Post
changed the flavor kept the mechanics (with a twist)

After gaming for 20 odd years, I finally read the Jack Vance stuff and went, MEH. At that point I was very down on the Fire and Forget system. Then I had a breakthrough,

I changed it from Vancian to Amberian.

So now, my wizards in the morning actually cast all of their spells except the last few words and gestures. When they cast the spell, it is not that they forget it, it is that they have to start recasting from the start which is very draining.

For optional rules, I have included:
Hanging spells on familars (extra spells)
Casting as a ritual (1 rd per spell level + temp con drain).

So, Vancian leaves me cold, but I have found a way to embrace fire and forget.

RK

jimpaladin

First Post
I actually happen to like the system. It's wonky for sure, but then you just need to be more creative in your application of it. I forget the Dragon magazine article that had the list of ice spell template for a wizard that came from a cold climate, etc. I've used that since and I find that it makes for very unique encounters IMC.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Vancian magic just isn't my type. We were set up on a blind date once but I eventually left with the freeform waitress

Mishihari Lord

First Post
rkwoodard said:
After gaming for 20 odd years, I finally read the Jack Vance stuff and went, MEH. At that point I was very down on the Fire and Forget system. Then I had a breakthrough,

I changed it from Vancian to Amberian.

So now, my wizards in the morning actually cast all of their spells except the last few words and gestures. When they cast the spell, it is not that they forget it, it is that they have to start recasting from the start which is very draining.

For optional rules, I have included:
Hanging spells on familars (extra spells)
Casting as a ritual (1 rd per spell level + temp con drain).

So, Vancian leaves me cold, but I have found a way to embrace fire and forget.

RK

I like your approach, but except for your add-ons, it's functionally identical.

I also think it should be called Chaosite magic. The spells we saw Merlin hang were based on Logrus magic. The folks from the Amber side of the universe may have had a different way of doing things. With Zelazny gone, I guess we'll never know. :(

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
Personally, I like how sorcerers do it. Limited number of spells known, but you can cast in just about any combination. Or I guess Arcana Evolved's spells readied works out nicely too.

I would probably be more inclined to use spell points if it wasn't for psionics. To me, that helps to make a differentiation between the two.

YMMV, of course.

w_earle_wheeler

First Post
Whenever my players complain about the Vancian style of magic, I bop them on the head with a plushie wand. Then I force them to wear a blue robe decorated with yellow moons and stars. Eventually, they learn. They all learn.

Remove ads