• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Variant Cleric for those holy folk who don't actively adventure

harmyn

First Post
I was toying around with an idea for a new campaign and it occured to me that not all clerics might perfectly fit into the class concept as presented. What follows are my thoughts on a less adventurous, more stay-at-home style of cleric suitable for NPC's (or maybe the player that wants to try something different - why?)

1. Drop all Armor and Shield Proficiencies.
2. Change attack chart to the Wizard/Sorcerer chart.
3. Drop Hit Die per level down to d6.
4. Give them 6 skill points per level.
5. Add the skills Decipher Script, Knowledge (all), Listen, Sense Motive

I would leave them with all simple weapons and the Turn Undead/Domain abilities that they get now.

Please let me know what you think,

Harmyn

Technik4

First Post
If you want them to be roughly balanced with other PC classes, that is a little too drastic. All you are giving them is skill points in exchange for quite a bit of lost abilities. Maybe let them keep Light Armor Proficiency and give them a bonus feat every 5 levels.

Technik

Hey

If it's an NPC class you're going for, why not use the current divine spellcasting, poor combat NPC class - the Adept. Change around the spell list so it doesn't have lightning bolt and some of that other arcane nonsense, and replace the familiar ability with access to a single domain of whatever deity.

If you are looking for something comparable with the cleric class, that might take some more work. I would suggest maybe taking a look at the shugenja from Oriental Adventures - a divine spontaneous spellcasting class with less-than-cleric combat abilities.

Thanks
-Matt

harmyn

First Post
I'm just not wild about the adept as an NPC divine class for organized PC race societies. That's the big reason for not going with that one and swapping out the spell list.

As a PC class I might consider giving them a bonus feat once every five levels and Scribe Scroll at second level. That might do the trick. How would that do?

'preciate all the help and advice and welcoming more,

Harmyn

I really like the concept. If you ask me, the "adventuring priest" is a silly un-archetype. Priests should be priests!

I tried to come up with an alternate class for priests, but I couldn't offer anything that would interest any of my players.

However, the idea of spontanteous casting presents some nice possibilities. It would make up for the fact that divine spells are generally not as flashy as arcane spells, provided that you gave them a broader array of spells than the sorcerer has.

harmyn

First Post
I think I am going to go with them as an NPC class and figure that any adventuring clerics are the standard breed having been taught what is needed to survive.

Thanks for all ideas and I appreciate the thoughts. Any more ideas for alternate PC clerics are still more than appreciated.

Harmyn

hong

WotC's bitch
harmyn said:
I think I am going to go with them as an NPC class and figure that any adventuring clerics are the standard breed having been taught what is needed to survive.

Thanks for all ideas and I appreciate the thoughts. Any more ideas for alternate PC clerics are still more than appreciated.

I have an alt.priest on my page that's based on the OA shaman. Basically it drops the d8 HD, medium BAB, good Fort save and heavy armour, and gets a bunch of bonus feats in return.

http://www.zipworld.com.au/~hong/dnd/priest.htm

Remove ads