• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Vassal of Bahamut and Paladin build (3.5)

Icyshadowlord

First Post
Okay, so I have planned to play a Paladin of Bahamut in the next campaign that my DM will arrange. As I want her to keep with the theme of slaying dragons alongside the promotion of good, I found that the best PrC option would be the Vassal of Bahamut (Dragonslayer from Draconomicon is a close second)

The only problem is that I would wanna enter the class from levels 7-10. And the requirement of SINGLE-HANDEDLY slaying a Juvenile or Older Red Dragon would be impossible without some major trickery on the DM's part.

But the thing is, I did get two sneaky ideas, that I might need to ask DM permission for. First would be some calamity striking the dragon in the middle of the battle (Rocks falling or lightning striking it) or the ludicrous idea I got earlier that Single-Handedly was a poor translation from Draconic to fighting with one hand (Yeah...)

So, what do you guys think? This DM actually let me play my homebrews that every other DM so far has denied (usually for not so good reasons), so should I try asking them about getting my PrC a little easier?

Also, on the side-line. For the same Paladin, which kind of feats and such should I pick for a slightly optimized build? (Not like a complete uber-build but just a bit stronger so I won't become useless in the higher levels)

PS. Thanks in advance, and sorry if these questions seem silly.

kitcik

Adventurer
Sounds like you have a DM that is interested in making the game fun for you. I suggest you tell him what you want to do (enter the PrC at levels 7-10) and what the problem is (the prereq) and leave it at that. If he winks, you will eventually find an encounter that fits the bill.

Icyshadowlord

First Post
Well, I found it funny that my homebrews aren't even unbalanced or anything, yet all the other DMs I know were always just being ****s about it. (They gave no proper explanations to the banning of homebrews whatsoever, and one even went as far as to demonize them for the rest of my group, ensuring that my ideas will be rejected by everyone...)

And yeah, I hope it goes that way.

I just hope someone can give some pointers on the Paladin's build in this thread as well.

Last edited:

TanisFrey

First Post
Tell the DM, enter the Dragonslayer PRC until you get your kill. Your character now finds religion and enters the Vassal of Bahamut PRC.

This shows the DM you are serious and you will follow through with your stated plans. It does not hurt to gain abilities that make you solo kill easier.

R-Hero

Explorer
Also, on the side-line. For the same Paladin, which kind of feats and such should I pick for a slightly optimized build? (Not like a complete uber-build but just a bit stronger so I won't become useless in the higher levels)

PS. Thanks in advance, and sorry if these questions seem silly.

I have played around with the feat Divine Shield, (Complete Divine) on a high CHA paladin with some very good results.

Burn a turning attempt to add Charisma bonus to AC. (I don't remember for how long without the book in front of me.) I do remember that it was an unnamed bonus and that allows it to stack with buff spells and the like.

At the higher levels he had a AC in the 50's:)

Icyshadowlord

First Post
I know I am reviving the dead around here, but I got a new question while looking at my planned build a bit. Do the Aura of Courage benefits given by the Paladin's aura and the Dragonslayer's aura stack with one another? And should I bother taking Platinum Knight levels instead of Vassal of Bahamut levels in case the entry requirement proves too hard?

(Also, why does Dargonslayer have to have Dodge? That's a horrible feat for a Paladin... )

Last edited:

Icyshadowlord

First Post
No, my race is NOT going to be a Dragonborn. It's going to be a homebrew race that my DM has allowed. If you really want, I could link the stats. Though I don't see much of a reason to do so.

Pergentile

Explorer
Ever thought of taking Dragonrider, then killing your own mount in its sleep? LOL!
Seriously though, buy a wish, and wish for a near-dead, plague-ridden dragon. Cous-de-gras it, since a plague doesn't have hands, and there you go.
Is there a character in your group that would be good at kicking a dragon to death... no hand involved?

Last edited:

Icyshadowlord

First Post
I see what you did there. I did joke around about the meaning of SINGLE-HANDED and other such things. The only problem so far that I have noticed are the feat requirements of Dragonrider and Dragonslayer, which are rather nasty for Paladins. (Also, why the hell would she get a Red Dragon mount just to kill it?)

And buying Wishes is probably a thing the DM will not allow me to do, even at level eight or higher. The second problem is that it doesn't seem very honorable to coup-de-grace a near-dead dragon...unless it's for putting it out of its misery.

Last edited:

Remove ads