• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Vecna, Where is he now?

jester47

First Post
David Howery said:
once when I was at Gencon, I pitched the idea to one of the Dragon people (forget who) that they should market a T-shirt that said "Vecna hates you" and had a picture of a wizened old man's face sticking his tongue out. Oddly enough, they declined the idea...
:)

I think a t-shirt with

Vecna hates you... (On the front)

everyone else thinks you're an @$$hole. (On the back)

would be a great laugh and sell like hotcakes...

Aaron.

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
I would like to compliment you, wingsandsword. That is the most creative explanation for the Lady of Pain, in Sigil, and why she is like she is, that I have yet heard on these boards.
Kudos!

As for a paladin of Vecna, I think the first notion that something was wrong would be when the paladin Layed On Hands on you, and in addition to the healing you gained an unwanted tattoo or brand: the mark of an eye ... :)

Endur

First Post
Vecna lives on Oerth

Vecna lives on Oerth. He is one of the few Gods that actually lives in Greyhawk and does not live in the Outer Planes.

It never says exactly where he lives in Greyhawk, but reading between the lines, it seems like he is somewhere in the Sheldomar Valley that he once ruled.

Perhaps in the Rushmoors that are rumored to date back to the time of his destruction by Kas.

foehammerx

First Post
wingsandsword said:
This is actually coming up in my campaign tonight, in like about 3 hours (my party is visiting Sigil, and being a bunch of big PS fans who didn't like Die, Vecna, Die or Faction War, they're curious about how I'm treating it.)

Now, inspired by the good work of the fellows at Planewalker and some past events of a Planescape game our group did about 6 years ago (which my current campaign is a loose sequel to), here is how I'm going to describe it, if anyone is interested.

Vecna somehow managed to escape the Demiplane of Dread, nobody's quite sure how, except that it involved him divesting himself of his divinity and becoming "just" an Epic Level Lich. When he escaped, he fled to Sigil, and used his magic to build a palace to himself in the rubble of the Doomguard's Armory. Then cultists and clerics of his started arriving, the ones who stayed faithful through the loss of his ability to grant spells (but I use the old rule about still being able to get 1st and 2nd level through raw Faith, so his clerics and blackguards weren't helpless). They then started to worship him as a god and were trying to perform some ritual to elevate Vecna to godhood within Sigil itself, taking advantage of the chaos of the aftermath of the Faction War to hope that he couldn't be stopped before he completed his goal. However, the Lady of course took grave exception to this and Mazed Vecna and demolished his palace and flayed his followers well before they could complete the ritual. Vecna's pretty bright, and if he could escape Ravenloft, he could escape the Mazes, so he found his way out, regained his divinity as a demigod (with a few remaining clerics and blackguards) quietly, slinking back to Greyhawk.

Now, in a prior campaign, it was established that "actually" in our campaigns that the Lady of Pain derives her power from her bladed headdress, it is a Greater Artifact (along with the entire city of Sigil) called the "Crown of Blades", and it gives it's wearer all the powers of an overdeity, but only within Sigil and for control of its Portals, it's curse it that the wearer can never leave Sigil after wearing the Crown, and it's method of destruction (along with the City itself) is to be worn by an actual deity (why the Lady prohibits all gods within Sigil, and utterly refuses to be worshipped as one, by becoming a god she'd lose all power).

Now, none of the characters in my current game know that (just the players), and virtually nobody in the setting knows that (certainly no NPC that's going to show up in the game). It's just that Vecna trying to achieve godhood inside Sigil itself is an inside reference to an old campaign we ran.

This is very good. I had her as one of the primordial powers of the multiverse. Yours is far more creative and inspiring. Nice job.

jasper

Rotten DM
dude I swear he living down the block on the corner house. I swear if his little white fluffy mutt goes in my yard again and he doesn't scoop there going to be trouble. :)

Joël of the FoS

First Post
Shemeska said:
The module is trash, let's get that out in the open as the prosecution's exhibit 1.

I also think the adventure as good fun. I DMed it and my players (most 20 years veterans) liked it. Of course, it break a few setting laws, but who cares as long as it’s for fun?

At the end of the module, Vecna is unceremoniously ejected from Sigil, bleeds off most of his gained divinity and ends up only a lesser god (and Iuz breaks free from where he had been absorbed by Vecna).

The adventure doesn’t say anything about Iuz, leaving the door open for DMs to make whatever they see fit with him. Is this a Planescaper or Greyhawk fan assumption or was it latter books?

Joël

Shemeska

Adventurer
Joël of the FoS said:
I also think the adventure as good fun. I DMed it and my players (most 20 years veterans) liked it. Of course, it break a few setting laws, but who cares as long as it’s for fun?

Fun adventures make the characters amazed and fills them with questions of how the antagonist is doing what they're doing. Bad adventures make the -players- go WTF? DVD gets the latter portion.

Breaking setting conventions can be overlooked if it does so in a cool, imaginative and evocative way. In my opinion DVD tried too much and made it seem forced, at the very least.

Stop running DVD after he fights Iuz and it's not bad at all, the stuff inside Cavitius was well done. Butcher Planescape later on in the module and it takes a sharp downturn.

The adventure doesn’t say anything about Iuz, leaving the door open for DMs to make whatever they see fit with him. Is this a Planescaper or Greyhawk fan assumption or was it latter books?

Joël

The module does mention that Iuz rips his way free when Vecna is ejected, but I don't have the book in front of me to check at the moment. The later events of DVD in Sigil have never been mentioned in 3e in any source AFAIK.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Barendd Nobeard said:
Oh, think of the fun he'd have. Think--Hannibal Lecter and Clarice Starling. At the very least, how will the Paladin's supporters react when they find out who the Paladin serves. That alone could give Vecna a cheap thrill.
Not to mention an ancient lich turned immortal would have to come up with new ways to amuse himself sooner rather than later.

Heck, I could see him creating "paladins" and then destroying them emotionally when they learn the truth as being a regular thing with him.

On the next E! True Hollywood Story...Vecna was a demigod with a necromancy fetish, until one day he up and disappeared, leaving everybody wondering if his 15 minutes were up. After spending time in a prison plane, it looked like he was willing to give up his divinity and cash it in. Little did his fans and detractors know...he was gearing up for the biggest comeback of all! Catch the controversy, coming up next!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads