• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Vecna's Dread Counterspell vs. Counterspell -- What's the Diff?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
My point is that is not RAW. It says he needs to see the person, period. Him being aware a spell is being cast is a reasonable assumption, but it is not required by RAW.
But using the ability is a conscious act of will. A being cannot consciously act in response to something they’re unaware of.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
No, there’s also the question of if he would, and if he doesn’t know it’s being cast, the only reasonable answer is no, he would not, because he wouldn’t know he has need to.
That doesn't enter into the RAW, that's fluff. He just can react, the how is left openeded, which can be suppled by fluff.

dave2008

Legend
It isn’t clear at all. Let me put it this way. Can he use it if he doesn’t know the creature he sees is casting a spell? Yes, in that he is capable of doing so. Would he do so? I can’t imagine how he would even think to do it unless he knew, which the text does not indicate he does.
By RAW it doesn't matter if he "knows." It just works. He could know, or it could be instinctual, or it could be a passive ability. By RAW, that doesn't matter. It similar to 4e monster powers which just told you what happened, not the narrative of why/how it happens.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
No, there’s also the question of if he would, and if he doesn’t know it’s being cast, the only reasonable answer is no, he would not, because he wouldn’t know he has need to.

Maybe he just spams Dread Counterspell as a reaction to EVERY spellcasters turn as a default - why not?

Heck, maybe that's why Kas eventually revolted - "Oh my god - would you JUST shut up!"

It's a theory.

Charlaquin

That doesn't enter into the RAW, that's fluff. He just can react, the how is left openeded, which can be suppled by fluff.
He can’t just react. The conditions for using the ability are met, sure, but he has to choose to use the ability - it requires him to speak, after all - and he can’t make a choice about something he isn’t consciously aware of.

dave2008

Legend
But using the ability is a conscious act of will. A being cannot consciously act in response to something they’re unaware of.
Many creatures react to things unconsciously. Even humans. That is what training is for. If a fighter has to react consciously in a fight, they will likely loose. Heck, my children's judo teach taught them that when they were 10. And Venca has had 100,000 yrs to train.

Charlaquin

By RAW it doesn't matter if he "knows." It just works. He could know, or it could be instinctual, or it could be a passive ability. By RAW, that doesn't matter. It similar to 4e monster powers which just told you what happened, not the narrative of why/how it happens.
It isn’t just a passive ability though, he has to utter a dread word!

dave2008

Legend
He can’t just react.
Why not?
The conditions for using the ability are met, sure, but he has to choose to use the ability - it requires him to speak, after all - and he can’t make a choice about something he isn’t consciously aware of.
Do you have to be conscious to to speak? I mean people speak when they are sleeping, which is just about the definition of unconscious.

Remove ads