D&D 5E Vengeance pal help

Tovek

First Post
So I'm having a tough time here deciding between a few things for my 2h dragonborn pal. Playing descent into avernus so cap lvl is 13. stats are

Str:17
Dex:12
Con:14
Int:10
Wis:8
Cha:14

I was thinking.of taking HAM at lvl 4 for 18 str, then taking GWM at 8 and finally getting 20 str at 12.

My question is would it be better to drop HAM and put +1 str then toss the extra +1 into con or cha? Or is taking HAM a good choice with these stats? I definitely want GWM at 4 or 8 so getting 20 str won't happen till 12.

Or should I drop HAM and put +2 into str for 19 str at lvl 4 incase I get a +1 Str item. Then at 12 put +1 into str for 20 and 1 other stat?

tommybahama

Adventurer
This doesn't directly answer your question, but I played through DiA recently and a 22 AC didn't help as much as having a ton of HP from a 16 Con and Hill Dwarf Toughness. I didn't have problem hitting anything with 18 Str and +1 sword. We use flanking rules so that might have helped to some degree.

Your DM is going to target your weak Int and Wis like crazy. Bring lots of Holy Water for Protection from Evil.

Edited for reasons

Last edited:

Tovek

First Post
This doesn't directly answer your question, but I played through DiA recently and a 22 AC didn't help as much as having a ton of HP from a 16 Con and Hill Dwarf Toughness. I didn't have problem hitting anything with 18 Str and +1 sword. We use flanking rules so that might have helped to some degree.

Your DM is going to target your weak Int and Wis like crazy. Bring lots of Holy Water for Protection from Evil.

Edited for reasons

So would probably be best to take GWM at 4 then at 8 go +1 str +1 con for 18 str and 15 con hopefully getting a con+ item?

Last edited:

tommybahama

Adventurer
We got one magic item each. I don't know if it was due to the module or our DM. I don't recall any +1 Con items.

If you can't get a magic item, get silvered weapons for the whole party. A paladin should know that so hopefully it's not metagaming.

Our ranged battle master used sharpshooter. Since he didn't get advantage much he relied on the Precision Strike (I think that's what it's called) maneuver to hit a lot. Will you get advantage a lot? If not, you might need 20 Str to help with your GWM. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in.

So would probably be best to take GWM at 4 then at 8 go +1 str +1 con for 18 str and 15 con hopefully getting a con+ item?

Splitting an ASI to add 1 to an even stat so that you can bump it up later is basically never a satisfying course of action unless maybe there is a half feat for that stat you are super excited about getting later. There are no +1 con items in 5e D&D as far as I know. Obviously your DM may throw whatever they want in, and if they are a player from editions that had such things in droves it wouldn't be unusual, but it's not something you should expect or reasonably hope for unless you know that is the case. 5e D&D is not big on stat boost items.

I would personally usually put off GWM. If you take it at level 4 with only a 17 Strength than you only have a +5 to hit (+6 at level 5). Maybe you'll have a magic weapon to get you up to +7 at level 5. With those stats you are not hitting things very often with a -5 to hit. Against 1 enemy per short rest you'll get advantage, will thus actually hit them with +10 damage attacks, and it will be awesome. If nova is really what makes you happy, maybe that makes level 4 GWM worth it. Personally I find constantly not hitting things really frustrating, and would put off GWM until level 8, unless I was a Barbarian who could reckless every attack.

That said, I'd just play it by ear. If your group tends to have a short adventuring day the vow of enmity will be a bigger factor. If you are using flanking rules, have someone constantly giving the help action, or otherwise find yourself often attacking with advantage then GWM at four looks like a better idea. Constantly rolling with advantage also increases the likelihood of criting and thus getting your bonus action attack. My vote is wait and see.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
So I'm having a tough time here deciding between a few things for my 2h dragonborn pal. Playing descent into avernus so cap lvl is 13. stats are

Str:17
Dex:12
Con:14
Int:10
Wis:8
Cha:14

I was thinking.of taking HAM at lvl 4 for 18 str, then taking GWM at 8 and finally getting 20 str at 12.

My question is would it be better to drop HAM and put +1 str then toss the extra +1 into con or cha? Or is taking HAM a good choice with these stats? I definitely want GWM at 4 or 8 so getting 20 str won't happen till 12.

Or should I drop HAM and put +2 into str for 19 str at lvl 4 incase I get a +1 Str item. Then at 12 put +1 into str for 20 and 1 other stat?

Well my advice would be to drop GWM. It's just not that strong on a Paladin.

My full recommendation given your stats would be something like:
Level 4: HAM
Level 8: Sentinel. Synergizes with HAM. Places enemy in bad situation. Target you with damage reduction and high AC or face a retaliation attack when they attack your ally. Also has the side effect of making it harder for enemies run from you.
Level 12: +2 Str or +2 Cha (I prefer boosting Charisma on Paladins but others are all about the damage)

Alternative recommendation given your stats would be something like:
Level 4: +1 str +1 con
Level 8: Resilient con
Level 12: +2 str or +2 cha

Any of the good feats deserve honorable mention for level 12 in lieu of +2 str or +2 cha. Lucky, Inspiring Leader, etc.

Remove ads