Venger

Timely Drought

First Post
Has anyone stated Venger from the D&D cartoon? I'd love for him to make a cameo in my campaign but I have no idea where to start. What race is he? Is he a wizard? I seem to remember his mount being a nightmare.

What's his backstory and goals, and how does he accomplish his objectives? Does he have minions? A cohort?

Hmm...

Off the top of my head, I'd make him a half-fiend sorcerer, with an eye toward Divination, Evocation, Illusion, and Transmutation. (Not that he shouldn't have the others, just that I'd make those primary.) He has a nightmare mount and a shadow demon cohort.

Really high level, too.

Scarbonac

Not An Evil Twin
Venger's backstory is that he's the Annakin to Dungeon Master's Obi-Wan, very possibly the literal son of DM (as suggested by the episode The Dragons' Graveyard and stated in the script for Requiem , which was written as the start of a new direction for the series, but never got produced), who turned to the service of He Who Must Not Be Named, the powerful force of Evil in the Realmverse. He's quite afraid of Tiamat, as his magic, for some reason, is ineffective (or at least of significantly reduced effectiveness) against her.

He's bent on conquering The Realm, and has numerous minions, typically orcs, bullywugs, "simian-bats" (which resembled bearded devils) and phantom stalkers but he delights in forcing otherwise good or neutral beings into working for him; those whom he can't corrupt or dominate he kills or imprisons.

He doesn't hesitate to dominate other evil characters, though, such as the wizard Khellek, employ them, as with Warduke or imprison them, as he did with his sister, Karina.

Oddly, in the Hall Of Bones he was hesitant to destroy it when he was under attack by the combined forces of the spirits of the great heroes who were interred there, until it came down to him or it.

Still, he's ugly and his momma dresses him funny -- the hat and dress he wears should get him laughed out of the Villains' Union.

Keeper of Secrets

First Post
Just seeing the thread title was enough to bring me in.

I have never seen any stats for him but my only concern about using him would be the looks on my players' faces like 'are you finally losing it?'

Henry

Autoexreginated
diaglo said:
what about the Shadow Demon?

I loved that weasly little stain. He was funny. :)

Here's one stab at Venger.
"There is no escape -- from the realm of... Dungeons and Dragons!"

Venger
Medium-size Male Half Fiend Human
Sorcerer10

Hit Dice: (10d4)+50
Hit Points: 90
Initiative: +2
Speed: Walk 30', Fly 30'
AC: 13 (flatfooted 11, touch 12)
Vision: Darkvision (60'), Normal
Face / Reach: 5.0 ft. / 5
Special Qualities: Bat Wings (Ex), Energy Resistance Acid/Cold/Electricity/Fire 10, Immunity to Poison (Ex), Natural weapons treated as magic weapons (Ex), Smite Good (Su) 1/day +0 damage, Summon Familiar
Saves: Fortitude: +8, Reflex: +5, Will: +6
Abilities: STR 14 (+2), DEX 14 (+2), CON 20 (+5), INT 18 (+4), WIS 8 (-1), CHA 24 (+7)
Skills: Appraise 4; Balance 2; Bluff 20; Climb 3; Concentration 6; Craft (Untrained) 4; Diplomacy 11; Disguise 9; Escape Artist 2; Forgery 4; Gather Information 8; Heal -1; Hide 2; Intimidate 12; Jump 3; Knowledge (Arcana) 17; Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 6; Knowledge (Geography) 6; Knowledge (History) 6; Knowledge (Local) 6; Knowledge (The Planes) 6; Listen -1; Move Silently 2; Ride 6; Search 5; Sense Motive 1; Spellcraft 19; Spot -1; Survival -1; Swim 3;
Feats: Eschew Materials, Extend Spell, Maximize Spell, Mounted Combat, Simple Weapon Proficiency, Skill Focus (Ride)
Alignment: Neutral Evil

Spells:
Innate: Darkness, Desecrate, Unholy Blight, Poison, Contagion
Sorcerer - Known:
Level 0: Detect Magic, Disrupt Undead, Flare, Light, Mage Hand, Message, Prestidigitation, Read Magic, Touch of Fatigue
Level 1: Animate Rope, Comprehend Languages, Disguise Self, Magic Missile, Shield
Level 2: Detect Thoughts, Invisibility, Pyrotechnics, Scorching Ray
Level 3: Dispel Magic, Lightning Bolt, Magic Circle against Good
Level 4: Animate Dead, Shadow Conjuration
Level 5: Summon Monster V

JoeGKushner

First Post
See, the problem with statting out someone like Venger, is it really depends on what you're going to use him for and what your campaign baseline is. That 10th level version posted here would be beaten like a small child by the party I'm GMing in the Forgotten Realms where one of the mages uses a two handed sword! In other, especially low level campaigns, he'd be godlike.

Henry

Autoexreginated
I agree, Joe - I'm posting him like I perceive him in the D&D cartoon, because those kids were low-level, but use their weapons and their wits to see them through. A version of Venger able to spank powerful capable adventurers would have swallowed those kids whole, Dungeon Master or not.

Sado

First Post
Not to threadjack, but it got me wondering something else. It's been a while since I've seen the cartoon, so I don't remember, was the show based on any particular published setting?

And how come my mommy and daddy let me watch the show, but the game itself was satanic???

fafhrd

First Post
Sado said:
And how come my mommy and daddy let me watch the show, but the game itself was satanic???

Likely because your average parent, while familiar with cartoons, simply doesn't have the experience to fairly contemplate roleplaying games. When suffering from a dearth of actual understanding, most tend to find groupthink and paranoia the next best thing.

Remove ads