• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Venting (a long rant)

trimeulose

First Post
Ok some background info:

This is an EVIL campaign that I wrote myself. It was made clear to me that even though I wanted to do a Cyric based campaign we were going to do a Bane based one. The group consists of a NE Velsharoon worshiper, a N worshiper of Helm, and a LE worshiper of Bane. Hereto refered as NE, N, and LE. NE is a deputy mayor of a town of about 20. N is a bystander with some lockpicks. LE wants to make a name for himself for the church of bane and in the future wants to hopefully become the second in command to Fzoul.

LE and NE posses items that were not cleared by me. LE posses a +2 impact (keen for bludgeoning) burst (not sure which element), vorpal gauntlet. His reasoning being, " if they have a keen for bludgeoning they should have a vorpal too." NE has a pearl of power (any two spells). Me being the nice guy and knowing that they have a hard road ahead of them let them keep the items.

Onto the adventure (and the problems)

LE recieves a message from Zentil Keep reading-

The town of mistledale provides most of the dale lands with food stuffs. If we control the food we control the people. It is believed that the riders of mistledale follow their leader blindly. You should make contact with Zentarim agent acting in mistledale and find a way of placing yourself or a trusted agent in the position of power with the riders of mistledale. Once this is accomplished the Zhentarim will have control over the dalelands.

Long Story made short, the afforementioned town that NE is mayor of is attacked by a dragon, and the group finds out that a sect of red dragons is trying to take over the dale lands through brute force. In order to gain the acceptance of the people of mistledale and to protect the other town the group must kill the dragons. (there would have been things to do later)

Now the group is in the cave of said dragons and they are fighting a black pudding (if I remember correctly). LE is attacking the ooze with spells, then decides suddenly to switch to going melee. The ooze is acidic and does 50 points of acid damage to any equipment or weapons that touch it unless a reflex save is made. Now this is well more than the hardness and hp of the gauntlet of LE so it is destroyed (I gave the item a ref and a fort save, and gave the handler a ref save too. they all failed).

LE has cleric levels and casts destruction on himself and purposefully fails the save. "that gauntlet was the whole basis for my characters faith in Bane. Without it I'm nothing." NE and the rest of the adventurers congratulate him on a fine bit of role playing and express their condolences in the loss of his character. Now the ooze is taken care of but the group is one player down.

Now, NE watched me make the map and decides that he'ld rather go fight the end boss than truck through my cave. (which is possible in this cave) The group comes face to face with a matured male red dragon. The group knows that the "big" dragon is female so rather than kill this dragon they question it. They deciphered that Lillian (the big dragon) was older than him in the first place, but now she is also a dracolich (she also has a cleric present). They ask the dragon to join them, but he won't because he can tell they aren't powerful enought to take Lillian (even with just his help).

They go through a lab, which has a trap that is un passable (even if you know its there). The "rogue" disarms the trap and the group proceeds on to the door at the end of the hall. The rogue knocks.

who is it...

house keeping......hello (no answer)..hello. (kicks the door in)

Noone is there (there is another door in this room).

They open the door and die from the breath weapon of the dragon.

My notes:

The party had refused an offer for a nightwalker to join the their ranks.

The party could have recruited other allies in the caves.

There was experience to be earned in the cave.

LE killed himself because nothing was more important in regards to his faith to bane, yet he had orders from Zhentil Keep. If he would have done a little digging he would have found out the dragons and the cleric there all worshiped Cyric.

NE didn't want to leave his town because it had been attacked. He knows the general direction of the dragons, and knows they are taking over other towns.

The group critized me because I left their options very narrow, and their chances slim at best. Personally, I felt that at high levels and as experienced Players they should have known better than to take on the final boss when I made the "level" much larger than they explored. I also felt that the group should have considered more options than "lets just kill it".

On a more personal note I felt that the group should have been able to deduce that if a trap cannot be passed unless it is disarmed (which was a difficult trap), then it is probably in an area that isn't traveled much. Ergo knocking on the door (not to mention claiming to be room service) would not be the best course of action.

Gumby

First Post
But did you kill Drizzt?

EDIT: Anyone who min-maxes his character so that he goes around punching people's heads off deserves whatever he gets, and so does the DM that lets him.

Last edited:

Airwolf

First Post
I feel your pain

My group did much the same thing over the 4th of July holiday when we played. They decided to bypass everything and go right to the end.

They paid dearly for the choice. :)

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
The problem may be the players were just stupid.

I think part of the problem may be that just weren't having much fun, so they got frustrated easily and tried to take a short cut through the adventure to 'win' it quickly.

The most likely reason is the players thought it would be 'kewl' to play in an evil Bane campaign with kickass high level characters, and they weren't mature enough to recognize this wasn't a free pass. They didn't like the fact they were still expected to work for their successes.

Just my guess.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Airwolf is only a sight for sore eyes if (s)he looks anything like that picture.....rrrrr.....

:)

On-topic, I think you may be expecting a bit much. If the group goes around all your carefully-laid plans, it's your job to make sure they can meet the challenge ahead of them, IMHO.

After all, the game is to have fun, and nobody has fun dying....

The suicide guy was, IMHO, quite a doof...if your gauntlets are your connection to your god, you either don't take them into combat lightly (always the risk of a sunder), or you don't whine about it when they meet the rigors of combat. ESPECIALLY in combat with an ooze, where you should probably expect it to eat you and all your equipment.

So if his gauntlets were that important, he shouldn't've smacked an ooze with them....gomer. :)

Oh, and PC suicide is rediculous, too, IMHO. If you're playing the character realistically, this probably wouldn't be a very good option, ever. Well, maybe if you're captured, raped by orc women, and forced to eat your own feces, with no hope of release ever or something.

Other than that, I think it's the DM's job to make sure that the players can meet the challenge presented to them. If they take the short route, you either make it long (Hey, guess what, the boss isn't where they're supposed to be!) or you make it easier to compensate.

D&D is supposed to be fun. It's not fun when everyone gets killed for just wanting to get it over with. I don't blame them for saying that you didn't give them a lot of options -- most people will rationalize the death somehow -- but even if you did give them enough options, it's still up to YOU to make sure they have fun. I'm guessing it's not a lot of fun for you to kill of the main characters, either, though I could be wrong.

Basically, it's probably a combination of:

A) disgruntled players

B) DM wonkiness

C) One rather dim guy who sounds a bit munchy to me.

Celebrim

Legend
I have no sympathy for anyone who has a "vorpal gauntlet", and even less sympathy for a player that suicides on the grounds that his uber-toy has been taken away. If your character concept is so thin that it depends entirely on the existance of a munchy magical item, then you are probably as shallow as the character you are playing. In fact, he couldn't even come up with a reasonable lawful reason for suicide, and instead fabricates this 'I believe in God because he gave me this nifty magical item and now that it is gone I don't believe in him anymore'.

I can't comment on your overall DM ability with only this to go on, but I don't think you necessarily ruled unfairly. However, I'll concur with Ridley and others that said the players sounded mighty bored. That doesn't have to be your fault, but it probably does mean that you are ill matched with the players.

Remove ads