• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Vin Desiel almost got Judi Dench to roll dice LOL!

Chris Durham

First Post
Any Chance we can get Mr. Diesel to produce the next D&D Movie, or at least act in it? There's a concept -- an actor that resembles a character one of us might play! :cool:

Von Ether

Legend
Chris Durham said:
Any Chance we can get Mr. Diesel to produce the next D&D Movie, or at least act in it? There's a concept -- an actor that resembles a character one of us might play! :cool:
Let him be his half-orc character AND produce the movie and you win half the battle.

Then agian, I'd watch a DnD sequal if Vin produced. :)

stevelabny

Explorer
can anyone explain to me why vin diesel playing d&d somehow makes him cooler?

you still dont know the guy
and he still has a really good chance of being an idiot.
just like anyone else

playing d&d doesnt automatically make you acceptable.

any d&d fan who goes and sees bad vin diesel movies just because vin plays the same game obviously needs to get out more.

Dogbrain

First Post
Von Ether said:
These days when the guys in the board room think DnD, they think Balders Gate, not dice.

OMG! ROTFL! Baldur's Gate is 0lD, pwned, & $uxx0RZ, d00D!

Good choice of example, though, to play the crusty old man role. It's like some old guy on a porch complaining about modern music and how "kids these days only want to listen to that Beatles stuff instead of real music like Mitch Miller".

Just like Marvel comics is tax break for Marvel Entertainment, which pitches the I.P. to movies, WotC is merely a I.P. place holder for Hasbro's (really now Infrogames) video game I.P.s

Hell, the main reason WotC has a new setting coming out is because Hasbro owns the digital rights to Forgotten Realms, and WotC wants their big piece of that video game pie.

Sorry to disabuse you of ignorance, but this is utterly false. Hasbro sold all the electronic rights to D&D and related products to Infogrammes, who now call themselves Atari in the USA, who are still not owned, at all, by Hasbro. The only direct money that Hasbro gets from D&D is in the pencil-and-paper sales. All computer games based on D&D only give money indirectly, through a licensing agreement. Hasbro does not own Infogrammes.

Wake up call! we aren't the parent market, we are just a tax break and I.P protection for the real cash cow.

Do you know what they call a corporation that keeps around an entire division just as a "tax break"? ENRON!

Dogbrain

First Post
stevelabny said:
any d&d fan who goes and sees bad vin diesel movies just because vin plays the same game obviously needs to get out more.

Absolutely! You should go out and see them for the kaboom and the smackie and the crunchy crunchy crunch.

Von Ether

Legend
Dogbrain said:
Sorry to disabuse you of ignorance, but this is utterly false. Hasbro sold all the electronic rights to D&D and related products to Infogrammes, who now call themselves Atari in the USA, who are still not owned, at all, by Hasbro. The only direct money that Hasbro gets from D&D is in the pencil-and-paper sales. All computer games based on D&D only give money indirectly, through a licensing agreement. Hasbro does not own Infogrammes.

1.) Actually Infogrammes owns some of Hasbro. In fact, the reason the orignal WotC CEO left was because Hasbro sold those rights from under WotC's nose.

2.) And again, that's why I said WotC is coming up with Eberron. WotC wants more than just the pnp sales and licencing fees. They want a part of the big, big pie that was sitting in LA last month.

Dogbrain said:
Do you know what they call a corporation that keeps around an entire division just as a "tax break"? ENRON!

Nope. Marvel Entertainment.

Last edited:

Mercule

Adventurer
stevelabny said:
It doesn't. I agree that there is every possibility that Mr. Diesel could be a power-gaming freak that I'd never allow at my table.

The point is that he is perceived by 'the masses' as being cool. That coolness rubs off on pretty much anything he associates himself with, including D&D. That means that D&D becomes 'cooler' (or, less geeky, at the least).

Go watch "Can't Buy Me Love" (or any of a dozen similar movies). The geek remains cool at the end. If it turns out that Diesel is a 'girl' worth courting, then so much the better. Otherwise, I'm still plenty happy with any reduction of stigma we may get out of the deal.

Henry

Autoexreginated
stevelabny said:

you still dont know the guy
and he still has a really good chance of being an idiot.
just like anyone else

playing d&d doesnt automatically make you acceptable.

I know little about Vin Diesel, but I can speak to one thing from personal experience; with few exceptions, the people I have met at D&D conventions have many of the same tastes, preconceptions, and humor-bones that I do. They value the same types of fun, they generally don't try to spoil other people's good times, and have a cameraderie "outside versus in" that I find amazing. Maybe it's just my good fortune, but RARELY have I found a D&D player who irritated me personally.

Many fans of other kinds (sports fans, NASCAR fans, extreme sports fans) I have met I find completely alienating, and in some cases openly hostile to those not of their own fanclub. The people I have found who are both Sports AND D&D fans, I don't find this with - maybe because of the connection, but there's something about the type of person who enjoys a good session of Dungeons and Dragons that I find inherently easier to get along with.

Two people I know from work are exemplary of this: The first person (male) I got along with from day one, talking about politics, sports, movies, etc. - it was three years later that I found out he used to play D&D several years back, and still does from time to time on computer games! The second person (female) is a good thinker, good conversationalist, loves to get into more cerebral pursuits, and has expressed interest in things from wargaming to D&D in the past.

Conversely, I have met many computer technology hobbyists (another pastime of mine) who I could not stand - and D&D was nowhere in their interests. Maybe I'm misreading the data, but in my experience there's something about being a D&D player that bridges gaps in a way that many other hobbies do not.

I think it's great that Vin plays D&D and isn't afraid to admit it. It's the sort of thing some people (especially in his position) might be "in the closet" about. :lol:

The stereotype of Judy Dench would suggest she would play an 18 WIS Cleric. But maybe she would go against type and play a Xena-Type character. It would be interesting how her extensive acting background would inform her D&D experience.

Last edited:

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I had no idea The Chronicles of Riddick is a sequel! I've never heard of Pitch Black...and that seems to be saying something, since the article says that was Diesel's "most famous role"...which I thought was him in XXX.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads