Blog (A5E) Voidrunner’s Codex Playtest: Psion

Welcome to the first public playtest document for the Voidrunner’s Codex, Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition’s upcoming science fiction rulebook. This document includes a playtest candidate for our psion class, one of several new classes in the book.

The Voidrunner’s Codex is pure sci-fi—it contains no magic. The psion class (and one other class in the book) uses psionics to perform supernatural feats. However, this is fully A5E—it is 100% compatible with the material in the Adventurer’s Guide, so you can put your wizard on a starship if you wish, or mix and match for a universe of cosmic magic. However, the Codex itself is focused on the sci-fi.

If you remember the public playtests we held last year in the run-up to the Level Up Kickstarter, we’re following the same model this year—playtest documents, followed by surveys. There will be a Kickstarter later this year, so keep an eye out for that (and for the Dungeon Delver’s Guide and the To Save a Kingdom adventure path)!

We anticipate (and expect!) that our version of psionics will be polarizing, because we know that many people have their own specific ideas of how psionics should look in 5E, and many of those peoples’ ideas are different to each other. With that in mind, this is our initial take on a psion class. Take a look, and please do let us know what you think by taking the playtest survey:

Odf9zA3B6Tlc2E-D8cfES5H-KMiJR9raXgxJ2LY9ImI,ZgBFN9lneVcW1iMoEK3hx3r7qExkKW89dLFIlFUaTVA,TMLI49...png

Von Ether

Legend
You know how bad WotC has fallen being too busy making MtG and Mercer D&D books instead of Psionic books and so other companies have to do it instead. Curious how this class would work in a D&D 5e game standalone.

Frankly, their 3e take on psionics wasn't that impressive since they were specifically designed to be second fiddle to magic and healing. Careful what you wish for.

we know that many people have their own specific ideas of how psionics should look in 5E, and many of those peoples’ ideas are different to each other. With that in mind, this is our initial take on a psion class. Take a look, and please do let us know what you think.

Back in the 3e day, I was looking for something to replace spell slots and holy healing, so I've learned to embrace 3pp takes for many years.

With several different 5e classes with different takes, a reskin was tempting, but I then found a great sci-fi 5e game that takes it to the next level so I am spoiled at this point.

johna_thr33

Explorer
Personally I am 100% fine with WotC not making a psionics. D&D rising IMO. However, I am completely OK with 3PP jumping to those psychic waters
I’m with you, with how much of a mess the Unearthed Arcana for Mystic was, I’m happy with WotC letting psionics rest in the few subclasses we’ve gotten through Tasha’s.

VenerableBede

Adventurer
Like many commenters here, haven't had the time to go really in-depth or play this in a game, but just reading through I generally liked what I saw.
Got mildly weirded out by being able to use any mental score as your psionic ability score since I tend to associate Intelligence with psionics, but it's also not a breaking point. Now I can just keep using Intelligence as my go-to dump stat.

Larnievc

Hero
Welcome to the first public playtest document for the Voidrunner’s Codex, Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition’s upcoming science fiction rulebook. This document includes a playtest candidate for our psion class, one of several new classes in the book.

The Voidrunner’s Codex is pure sci-fi—it contains no magic. The psion class (and one other class in the book) uses psionics to perform supernatural feats. However, this is fully A5E—it is 100% compatible with the material in the Adventurer’s Guide, so you can put your wizard on a starship if you wish, or mix and match for a universe of cosmic magic. However, the Codex itself is focused on the sci-fi.

If you remember the public playtests we held last year in the run-up to the Level Up Kickstarter, we’re following the same model this year—playtest documents, followed by surveys. There will be a Kickstarter later this year, so keep an eye out for that (and for the Dungeon Delver’s Guide and the To Save a Kingdom adventure path)!

We anticipate (and expect!) that our version of psionics will be polarizing, because we know that many people have their own specific ideas of how psionics should look in 5E, and many of those peoples’ ideas are different to each other. With that in mind, this is our initial take on a psion class. Take a look, and please do let us know what you think by taking the playtest survey:

View attachment 153934
I like it. This would work for me and my game. I’m only a bit cagey about multiple concentration effects.

Stalker0

Legend
I like it. This would work for me and my game. I’m only a bit cagey about multiple concentration effects.
I use multiple concentrations in my game as a houserule for normal spellcasting. Generally I really have not found any abuses for it, and the fact you lose all spells with a single failed roll has kept things in check as well as ensuring we aren't making too many rolls.

Larnievc

Hero
I use multiple concentrations in my game as a houserule for normal spellcasting. Generally I really have not found any abuses for it, and the fact you lose all spells with a single failed roll has kept things in check as well as ensuring we aren't making too many rolls.
I didn’t think about it that way. I guess I need to give it a go to see properly 👍

dave2008

Legend
You know how bad WotC has fallen being too busy making MtG and Mercer D&D books instead of Psionic books and so other companies have to do it instead. Curious how this class would work in a D&D 5e game standalone.
It seems odd to call a company "fallen" when they may be producing the most successful version of D&D ever. Personally, I have no need for psionics in my D&D and am quite happy that WotC has left this segment for 3PP to cover.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases