VOLO'S GUIDE - Check Out This Froghemoth Preview

Link for the curious: http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/Volo_Froghemoth145.pdf

Parmandur

Book-Friend
A herd of those launched out of a swamp by some bullywugs on some unsuspecting settlement is a pretty scary prospect! Like just about every preview so far, it just makes me anticipate this book's release all the more!

I wonder if we'll see a bullywug variant or two in the book to go along with this new froghemoth lore. There doesn't look like there will be room for bullywug coverage in Chapter 1, but a bullywug leader variant or two would be nice for Chapter 3...

I doubt we will see Bullywugs in Chapter one or three; however, I bet they will be on the quick rules table, for NPC generation using the appendix stat blocks.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
Why would they preview a page from the book with a prominent typo?

"The froghemoth cares nothing for its egg, and might eat it the hatchling."

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you

There have been typos in all the published adventures. Copy-editing is a dead profession.

Dire Bare

Legend

I know, right!?

That's why I prefer game supplements written by robots. Everytime I purchase one from those inferior species, the hoomans, they make TONS OF MISTAKES! If you can't achieve perfection, you aren't getting my money!

As a side note: One thing I don't get is why they didn't make "slowed" a condition, so they didn't have to write out all its effects in full every single time it comes up in a monster statblock or spell.

Yes. Slowed would have been useful... but on the other hand, less cross referencing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wrathamon

Adventurer
the Fifth Edition foes version
To be swallowed you need to be grappled by a tentacle or tongue and you get a DC 18 Dex Save to avoid being swallowed.

It also has a tentacle Crush that is an autohit damage when you're already grappled by a tentacle.

Immune instead of resistance to lightning, but still has the slow and has a sight ability to prevent tactical advantage and bonus damage from nearby allies.. which sounds confusing to me. Is sneak attack bonus damage?

It appears to be missing its ability to breath underwater

Its tougher and stronger overall, but not as perceptive or stealthy and it does way less damage.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
Because books have typos, and the reason why is that even the "prominent" ones are hard to see because the human brain wants to ignore them and understand the message being read.

It's why we can read words even if the letters other than the first and last are in the wrong order, and why we don't realize there were two "the"s when one ends a line and the second starts the next.

So the real question is why anyone thinks a typo-free book is actually possible when all evidence says otherwise.

Remove ads

Remove ads