VOLO'S GUIDE - Check Out This Froghemoth Preview

Link for the curious: http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/Volo_Froghemoth145.pdf

There have been typos for as long as books have been mass-produced. 5th edition did not invent the typo.

There were typos even before books were mass-produced. Granted, they technically couldn't be called "typos" before the invention of printing. Interestingly enough, errors in hand-copied books could be passed on for centuries from book to book as scribes mechanically repeated the same error...

Chaosmancer

Legend
You know, I was never interested in the Froghemoth. Everyone kept talking about it being this classic weird monster and I didn't care.

Now, reading through it, I realized that my mad scientist wizard villain NPC (wow, that's a lot of things) should totally end up with a few of these running around, because they fit with that insane experiments theme I've been hinting at.

Only thing I'm not sure about is the lightning shock, that is a brutal debuff to suffer. I may end up lessening it, but then again, most of the characters I currently have, have almost no way to deal lightning damage so I may hold off for now.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
You know, I was never interested in the Froghemoth. Everyone kept talking about it being this classic weird monster and I didn't care.

Now, reading through it, I realized that my mad scientist wizard villain NPC (wow, that's a lot of things) should totally end up with a few of these running around, because they fit with that insane experiments theme I've been hinting at.

Only thing I'm not sure about is the lightning shock, that is a brutal debuff to suffer. I may end up lessening it, but then again, most of the characters I currently have, have almost no way to deal lightning damage so I may hold off for now.

You could always include some terrain or environmental effect that makes using lightning spells or the like risky or challenging in some way (but not impossible or too punishing). For example, put a bunch of gestation pods in the encounter area that will open and spill forth a minor monster if lightning is used within X feet of it.

Pathkeeper24601

First Post
Sorry for being slow, but what is being said for the multiattack? Two tentacle attacks & tongue or bite per round? Am I reading that right?
I would interpret that in the worst possible way for the characters. If the Froghemouth has 2 tentacles available it makes both of those attacks. Then it can also use it's Tongue attack or Bite attack (character within 5'). If it is successful on the Tongue attack, it gets to make a bonus action Bite attack as detailed. So, potentially up to 4 attacks in a round.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
This is the only book sub-industry that seems to have a chronic issue with typos and lack of proper editing. Most books don't have typoes because they hire editors who actually catch crap like this. And here I thought it was because the D&D team would churn out books so quickly that they ran short on time for this. But even when they just turn out 2-3 books a year, we still get them.

But that wasn't what I asked. I asked why they would preview the Froghemoth given the typo. They could have easily previewed a different monster that lacked the glaring typo and not made as much a fool of themselves over it. This could hurt some sales (not for long-term fans who have made our peace with the chronic typo problem, but…).

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
This is the only book sub-industry that seems to have a chronic issue with typos and lack of proper editing. Most books don't have typoes because they hire editors who actually catch crap like this.
Care to point me in the direction of any book, literally any one will do, which doesn't have any typographical errors?
I asked why they would preview the Froghemoth given the typo.
Because it's not so "glaring" as you make it out to be, nor does the average person that will be looking at the preview think that a single typo on a page of written material suggests any kind of incompetence or lack of care.

Chaosmancer

Legend
But that wasn't what I asked. I asked why they would preview the Froghemoth given the typo. They could have easily previewed a different monster that lacked the glaring typo and not made as much a fool of themselves over it. This could hurt some sales (not for long-term fans who have made our peace with the chronic typo problem, but…).

Because they've hinted Froghemoths are in the book and wanted to deliver on that promise.

Because Froghemoths are a classic monster that has a lot of nonstalgic value and will potentially up sales of the book

Because they missed the minor errors

Because this is a pre-production version they slotted to be previewed 4 months ago, before they caught and fixed those errors and didn't think it would be a big deal.

Ect.

Remove ads

Remove ads