D&D 5E Vote for Todays Best Adventures for Use in 5E

Vote for your favorite 3 adventures to use with 5E

• Age of Worms

Votes: 6 9.0%
  • Beyond Icespire (Storm Lord's Wrath / Sleeping Dragon's Wake / Divine Contention)

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Calebais The Broken Covenant

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Carrion Crown

• Castle Amber

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • Curse of Strahd

Votes: 23 34.3%
  • Curse of the Crimson Throne

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • Dark of Hot Springs Island

• Death frost doom (LotFP)

• Dragon Heist

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Dragon of Icespire Peak

• The Enemy Within

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Five Coins for a Kingdom

• The Forge of Fury

• Ghosts of Saltmarsh

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • Hoard of the Dragon Queen

• Hot Springs Island

• The Isle of Dread (OAR #2)

• Keep on the Borderlands

• Kingmaker

• The Last Breaths of Ashenport

• Lost City (B4/OAR4)

• Lost Mines of Phandelver

Votes: 29 43.3%
  • The Night Below

• Night's Dark Terror (X10)

• Odyssey of the Dragonlords

• Pharaoh

• Princes of the Apocalypse

• Rappan Athuk

• Red Hand of Doom

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Reign of Winter

• Rise of the Runelords

• Savage Tide

• Scourge of the Sword Coast

• Shackled City

• Sinister Secrets of Saltmarsh

• Skull & Shackles

• Storm King's Thunder

• The Sunless Citadel

• Tales of the Old Margrave

• Temple of Elemental Evil (OAR #6)

• Tomb of Annihilation

Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Tomb of Horrors (from TotYP)

• Tyranny of Dragons

• Way of the Wicked

• White Plume Mountain (TFtYP version)

• Poll closed .

Retreater

Legend
I had absolutely no problem running Curse of Strahd (but had immense difficulty in some others from the 5e era). I'm sorry to hear some of you have been let down from this adventure. I think it's got the best villain in any of the official 5e adventures, with the clearest objectives. That alone really drives the adventure. It's also a contained sandbox, which I think is the best kind.
Perhaps it was easier for me because I was already familiar with it because of its decades of history in the game. I do know two other DMs who have run it who are not the most experienced DMs - and both of their groups managed to have amazing times.
I think it's a fantastic template for adventure design.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
If WotC was ever to do something with the Nentir Vale for 5E, the Curse of Strahd adventure format would be the way I personally would like to see it brought in.

The Nentir Vale area is small and with a few towns across it, just like the Baratok Valley in CoS... so it doesn't need a full campaign book in my opinion. Instead, if you created a 1st to 15th level adventure path that took you across the Vale... from Winterhaven to Gardmore Abbey to Kobold Hall to the Witchlight Fens to Fallcrest to Thunderspire to Harkenwold to Hammerfast to Nenlast and so forth... you could detail these areas just enough for whatever the story is being told just like all the areas detailed in CoS. (Also knowing full well that if DMs wanted/needed even more detail about these areas than what the book could give, they could always just buy the 4E supplements off of DMs Guild). Doing that would give us a wonderful self-contained Curse of Strahd-like campaign adventure area. But unlike CoS (which uses and reuses the original I6 Ravenloft adventure for the spine of the book)... this could be a whole new adventure that isn't merely a reprint of H1-3 / P1-3 / E1-3. Might go to a lot of the same areas, but a whole new story.

Nebulous

Legend
I loved Lost Mine. Mixing it with the second starter set made it even better.
I had absolutely no problem running Curse of Strahd (but had immense difficulty in some others from the 5e era). I'm sorry to hear some of you have been let down from this adventure. I think it's got the best villain in any of the official 5e adventures, with the clearest objectives. That alone really drives the adventure. It's also a contained sandbox, which I think is the best kind.
Perhaps it was easier for me because I was already familiar with it because of its decades of history in the game. I do know two other DMs who have run it who are not the most experienced DMs - and both of their groups managed to have amazing times.
I found a supplement on the DMs Guild that took the rather weak Tome of Strahd from the core campaign and turned it into a time traveling device. The PCs - when they use it/solve a chapter - are transported back to old Barovia, meeting young boy Strahd and Rahadin, and later when adult Strahd and his army attacks the Silver Dragon paladins, and later the wedding ceremony of Strahd and Tatyana, and stress with his brother. It added so much depth to the campaign by letting the PCs see events from another perspective. I didn't use all the chapters, just some of them, but it turned the Tome of Strahd into a truly interesting item, and far more than the core book could have incorporated.

Too bad you didn't participate in the previous thread, I would of added your suggestions to the poll. Had you participated, what would have you nominated?
Something that I've written myself. I haven't read anything for 5e that is better than mediocre (although there are quite a few on your list that I haven't read) and the old revamps only look good through rose-tinted nostalgia-specs.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I'll be starting Night Below this Saturday for my group. I'll be using Chromatic Dungeons and not 5e, but that's just conversion stuff and won't impact how the campaign plays out.

Surprised Rime of the Frostmaiden isn't even on the list, nor are several iconic AD&D modules (Dwellers of the FB, Hidden Shrine of Tomoachan, etc)

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
I'll be starting Night Below this Saturday for my group. I'll be using Chromatic Dungeons and not 5e, but that's just conversion stuff and won't impact how the campaign plays out.

Surprised Rime of the Frostmaiden isn't even on the list, nor are several iconic AD&D modules (Dwellers of the FB, Hidden Shrine of Tomoachan, etc)

I regret not nominating Rime. I'd certainly rank it below Strahd and Lost Mine, but well above Ghosts of Saltmarsh (two of GoS's seven adventures are aggressively bad, and two are middling).

Back in ye olden days you could run a poll like this and be confident that most players would have some familiarity with most of the titles on the list. But that was when D&D was much smaller. There is a thread on "shared experience" around somewhere. But I don't know anything about 62% of the titles on this list, so I have no idea if they are good, bad or indifferent. I would imagine that is true for most players.

Remove ads