Vote Rules Cyclopedia!

Orius

Legend
I voted RC too. I've been hoping WotC would be reprinting this book. It's good for the Basic fans just as the 1e and 2e reprints have been good for those fans. As good as some of those classic module series have been, or a product like Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue, the RC has the most general utility to the greatest number of players.

Having some sort of Print on Demand option for classic D&D books might also be a good move for WotC.

Elf Witch

First Post
Sorry I went the selfish way and voted for Queen of the Spiders because I have always wanted it. I also own the RC I picked it up about 15 years ago at a friends of the library sale for .15 cents.

Orius

Legend
I think WotC should largely focus on the core books before doing modules and supplements. So 1e, and 3e got their reprints, 2e was at least announced if not reprinted yet. That just leaves Basic, and RC is the best option for Basic, since it compiles most of the rules except the Immortal stuff.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Rules Cyclopedia contained actual rules for world-building. As in, building a town from scratch, how the population would grow and shrink, what sorts of products it's known for, and how much income it can be expected to generate. The sytem is actually quite elgant, and I believe it was reproduced in at least one Dragon magazine.

dbm

Savage!
I've voted for it, even though I have a copy on my shelf. Another would be useful to encourage my group to play this version of the game.

Edited to add:
You know, looking at that single book on my shelf and realising that its contents (in the form of the four boxed sets) kept me playing for 5 years on a weekly basis and 36 levels of fun is pretty mind blowing. Especially when you compare it to the stack of books you tend to get for a modern game. Bloatware is alive and well in the world of RPGs...

Last edited:

Magesmiley

Explorer
The RC also received my vote. The BECMI edition of the game often gets overlooked despite having a few nice sections of rules that don't exist anywhere else, particularly the Companion set.

For this reason it gets my vote, despite my still having my copy that I bought when it was new.

The Gazeteer series is also very much worth a reprint. My copies (of which I still have a full set plus a couple of duplicates) are fairly worn. I have soft copies of a couple I got when they were available from Paizo, but not all of them.

Crothian

First Post
I saw a couple for sale yesterday are some local used book stores. One was in very good condition that they marked "Limited edition" for some reason and stuck a $150 price tag on it. The other was beat up badly and was going for $50.

Remove ads