D&D 5E Vs Vecna battle simulations.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Why would anyone block you? You may have strong opinions, but you're not unreasonable when expressing them. (Shrug).
I appreciate you saying that. I guess not everyone agrees. Their loss I suppose, but I wish it didn’t make discussions harder for me to follow because someone else doesn’t want to hear what I have to say. Se la vie I guess.

Last edited:

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Let's go with that, seems solid.
You got it!

Hjalman's Turn:

EDIT:
I forgot Hjalman needs to make two DC 20 CON saves because of Afterthought. He rolls 24 (16+8) and 28 (20+8), cancelling both. However, he will take the 6 and 11 damage first, reduced to 3 and 5 due to aura of life, for a total of 8 necrotic damage.
  1. Hjalman moves (25 feet) next to Vecna and attacks the pillar (AC 17 I assume since it looks like "stone"). Rolls 7 + 10 = 17, so just hits, dealing 11 damage to the pillar (not that it matter to the pillar, of course) and shouts to Vecna "You're next, you raggy old bag of bones!"
  2. Hjalman spends 1 ki point for Flurry of Blows and attacks Vecna.
  3. He lands a CRITICAL HIT (20+10 = 30), dealing 19 damage! Hjalman imposes on Vecna that he cannot take reactions until the end of Hjalman's next turn.
  4. Hjalman lands his second unarmed strike from Flurry (17+10 = 27), dealing only 5 damage. He spends another 3 ki, activating quivering palm on Vecna again. He also forces Vecna to make a DC 18 DEX save or be knocked prone.
  5. Vecna only rolls a 6 (3+3), so fails his save and falls prone. (If anyone thinks Vecna should use a Legendary Resistance to succeed let me know! But I figured he would save it for Quivering Palm and something more important...)
  6. Hjalman grapples Vecna and rolls an 18 (9+9).
  7. Venca rolls the contested using his Dexterity (Acrobatics), total of just +3, and rolls a 4 (1+3), so Vecna fails and is grappled and prone.
  8. Hjalman uses his remaining 30 speed to drag Vecna over 15 feet closer to Leon. "You teleportin' sack of crud! You're comin' with me."
1655501141439.png

NOTE: I ruled that being prone granted Hjalman advantage on his Strength (Athletics) to grapple Vecna, and Vecna disadvantage on the contested roll as well. Since grappling is an "attack", that was my ruling.

As it turns out, if you take the first roll roll for both (Hjalman's 9 and Vecna's 1), the result is the same anyway...

It is now Egar's Turn (which I will do after supper...).

Last edited:

Stalker0

Legend
NOTE: I ruled that being prone granted Hjalman advantage on his Strength (Athletics) to grapple Vecna, and Vecna disadvantage on the contested roll as well. Since grappling is an "attack", that was my ruling.
Grappling is not an attack roll, it is an ability check. Though it replaces an attack, it in itself is not an attack (just as a spell that gives you a bonus to attacks would not give you a bonus to grapple checks). So I would not rule that prone provides any advantage/disadvantage to the grapple check.

This fights reminds me that once again, Chill Touch is not only the worst named spell in the game (for it is neither a touch nor deals cold damage), but also a weirdly strong cantrip at high levels due to knocking out heals. I have seen the spell knock out hundreds of points of healing in certain situations.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Grappling is not an attack roll, it is an ability check. Though it replaces an attack, it in itself is not an attack (just as a spell that gives you a bonus to attacks would not give you a bonus to grapple checks). So I would not rule that prone provides any advantage/disadvantage to the grapple check.
Thanks for your insight. I know that is more the RAW, but IMO not the RAI... I'll update the turn without the advantage/disadvantage.

As I said, it doesn't matter in this particular instance due to the rolls.

The Second Roll on each attack is just for Advantage or Disadvantage. Only the first roll was being counted in both cases.
I wonder why it is showing a second roll for each?? I think maybe it is showing both rolls because he gets two attack via multiattack.

Since I will be taken Egar's turn later tonight (I want to think carefully about what I do next), do you want to handle Vecna's?

I feel a bit odd playing a character and acting out the foe. FWIW, if you're busy I can do it (unless someone else wants to handle Vecna's next turn?).

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
This fights reminds me that once again, Chill Touch is not only the worst named spell in the game (for it is neither a touch nor deals cold damage), but also a weirdly strong cantrip at high levels due to knocking out heals. I have seen the spell knock out hundreds of points of healing in certain situations.
And how! It’s low-key the best damage dealing cantrip! Trivializes any monster with regeneration.

Remove ads