D&D 5E Vs Vecna battle simulations.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I feel that topic has become so contentious my vote is to run a poll, just making a poll thread, give it a day, and just go with teh majority, no discussion at this point.

Now honestly I am fine giving this one to Vecna and saying dread counterspell works against subtle spell, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest. But I also am in the camp that thinks Vecna is bad for their CR and we are going to beat him down badly :)
My thought is option 1, it SHOULD work against him, but you're right--he will need every edge with can give him probably... so I am fine with allowing him to Dread Counterspell even if you Subtle Spell.

Also, I would LOVE to resolve this today if people are free enough to do it, but if it takes a couple days--so be it. 🤷‍♂️

Stalker0

Legend
My thought is option 1, it SHOULD work against him, but you're right--he will need every edge with can give him probably... so I am fine with allowing him to Dread Counterspell even if you Subtle Spell.

Also, I would LOVE to resolve this today if people are free enough to do it, but if it takes a couple days--so be it. 🤷‍♂️
We can make this easy. How about a 1 day poll. If we start sooner than that, I just won't use subtle spell against venca off the bat (I'll throw in some quickens and I have my sunbeam off the bat anyway). Once we get the results, I will abide by whatever the majority voted.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I'm decidedly in the camp that thinks Dread Counterspell crushes Subtle Spell, but then, I don't think that Subtle Spell should automatically work against any spellcaster of any decent level (if it were backed up by a deception check vs insight? Sure NP).

I just don't think that "no VSM" should mean "completely effortless, totally hidden spellcasting". Casting spells should be an amazing thing to do and require effort. It shouldn't be impossible for another experienced spellcaster to tell that you're doing it, even if you're not waving your arms around and yabbering in gibberish. It still takes your action. It still takes effort.

#$&@ing VECNA? He shouldn't have any problem at all.

That said, I have no problem with a DM ruling it the other way. The rules are extremely unclear, and I wish if the designers had a particular way they mean for it (and other things like Subtle Spell itself) to work, then they should write them so that they say what they do. At any rate, we are left with "it's up to your DM". IMO, that means whoever is running Vecna gets to pick, and those of us playing PCs can suck it up.

Last edited:

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Ok. I have Go'ban added.

So, the Party consists of:
  1. Broodhuz (White Dragonborn Barbarian Ancestral Guardian 16)
  2. Go'ban (Goblin Ranger Gloom Stalker 16)
  3. Invulnar (Gold Dragonborn Sorcerer Draconic Bloodline 16)
  4. Morcolt (Shadar-Kai Warlock Fiend-Blade 16)

Party Prep:
  • Go'ban - Hunter's Mark (1 hour)
  • UPDATE: Invulnar has Sunbeam (9 rounds left since first was used as doors opened).
  • Morcolt - True Seeing, Crown of Stars (both 1 hour)
(I know @Stalker0 requested something, but forget to add it pre-battle.)

The Set-up:

You open the enormous double-doors into Vecna's Sanctum. The large cavern has ceilings 60 feet high supported by four enormous pillars near the center of the room within a polish floor of blood-engraved ebony.

Vecna is no where to be seen...

1656265936733.png

ROLLING INITIATIVE...

Go'ban 23
Morcolt 20 (17 + 3 for Dark One Own's Luck)
Vecna 20
Broodhuz 19 (19,15)
Invulnar 14

It is Go'ban's Turn.

Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
"Where izzee?" asked the white dragonborn Broodhuz, salivating a drop that immediately froze on the floor. He passed his enormous sword from hand-to-hand in eager anticipation of the fight to come.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
"He's in the middle of all the pillars! I can see him!" Morcolt hollers, pointing basically straight ahead and taking aim with his pact longbow!

Remove ads