Walking away from a game...

Wik

First Post
Not to derail the thread here, but...

There are some great stories here on this thread, but I'm a little perplexed by how many people here think rape is a worse crime than murder.

Talk to a rape victim, and you'll know. Murder just kills someone... rape kills their soul. People are not the same after they've been raped.

I know personally two seperate victims.

One will tell people "i'm not a victim" and repeats that like a mantra. But watch her - she attaches to relationships to men that she doesn't really respect and has huge self-image issues. She'll tell you it hasn't affected her much - but she's wrong.

The other one is a former girlfriend who most of my real-life friends don't really know about - because she was terrified of meeting new people. By the way, try sleeping next to a woman who, fifteen years after the fact, still has nightmares about that day. I gave her earrings once, and when I touched her neck to put them on, she freaked out.

That, by the way, is not counting some other friends of mine I know a little less well, who have been victims of sexual crimes. All I can say is, every one of them will tell you that Rape is far worse than murder. And if I'm at a table where people are trying to "be mature" and include rape scenes in their game... I'll be leaving the table. I've done it before. Because it's really anything but mature - it's like six year olds playing "house", only a helluva lot darker.

My two cents.

Cyronax

Explorer
I left a group once because another player was trying to impose US Army marching doctrine and camping procedures on the in-game roleplaying dynamics between PC's.

I was playing a chaotic good wizard who didn't really want to follow out-of-game crap and asked 'What does the US Army have to do with this campaign?'

The dude's response was something along the lines of, 'Clearly you've never served.'

I didn't really respond, even though I worked closely with the military for years, because I was getting really really angry. So I just said, 'just move on, I'm tired'. I also was the newest member of the group and only knew the DM, so I didn't really want to be too much of a boat-rocker.

Anyway, the next session the dude brings a wikipedia print-out of some US Army regulations and says 'here educate yourself.' I glanced at the first page and handed it back to him and simply said, 'no.'

He then tried to get in my face about not being a team-player and I just walked over and picked my stuff up and thanked the DM for having me and left.

Worst gaming experience of my life.

One of the other worsts were having a creepy dude come to my current group for one session. He was playing a female halfling rogue with a rape fetish who was trying to pursue a triple career as an adventurer, a jewler (specifcally earrings), and a prostitute.

Our normally unflappable and polite DM asked the player not to come back.

C.I.D.

Jared Rascher

Explorer
I have to say, I've had players take a dislike to NPCs and plot their death's before, and even follow through on a few plots. Most of the time its a little quirky, but honestly, if I had a player want to rape an NPC, I don't think I'd handle it well.

Paul_Klein

Explorer
There are some great stories here on this thread, but I'm a little perplexed by how many people here think rape is a worse crime than murder...I can think of several movies I've seen, as well, where the main character is both very likable and a rapist (High Plains Drifter, Flesh + Blood, ect). Now, I'm not usually into highly sexualized narratives in my games, but I have seen it done well a couple of times. I think, in my experience, it comes down to the overall maturity level of a game and whether or not the players are genuinely trying to explore interesting flaws in their characters.

Wow. I, uh, disagree with everything you said.

Many people would contend rape is far worse than murder;
No rapist can be a likable character (assuming you know they're a rapist);
Rape has absolutely nothing to do with "sexualized narratives";
No RPG rape is ever "done well";
To fantasize and roleplay out rape is about as far from mature as you can get;
Being a rapist is NOT an interesting flaw!

Diamond Cross

Banned
Banned
I don't condone either rape or murder, but I don't see one crime as being worse than another. But there is at least one difference.

That difference is that a person can rape another person over and over again, but a person can only kill another person once.

Wik

First Post
I don't condone either rape or murder, but I don't see one crime as being worse than another. But there is at least one difference.

That difference is that a person can rape another person over and over again, but a person can only kill another person once.

Another way to look at it is that a person who is killed doesn't have to think about it afterwards.

Hussar

Legend
Hey guys, before this gets too far off topic, can we drop the rape and murder discussion? I'd hate to see this thread get locked.

Remove ads