• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Wall of Force and spells

ECMO3

Hero
Yeah D&D doesn't like blind swordsman tropes either; Zatoichi would have a hard time in a 5e game.
Blind Swordsman are pretty easy to do effectively as a fighter. Blind Casters are more difficult, but still doable as long as you are not a cleric. Getting to level 3 will be really difficult though.

For a fighter just take the blind fighting style. You will be gimped some because you can only see 10 feet but it is playable.

A blind caster except Cleric or Warlock can get the spell darkvision which would allow them to see out to 60 feet as long as they were not in bright light. A blind character can also get the devil's sight invocation which would let them see in darkness, they could pair this with the darkness spell pretty effectively.

A Blind character will not be optimal, but it is not all that debilitating either considering the dice. After level 3, I would say a Blind character who rolls abilities in the 95 percental (85 total points on abilities) and takes things like the stuff above to mitigate it, is generally going to be better than a character who rolls in the 5 percental (62 points)

Last edited:

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Blind Swordsman are pretty easy to do effectively as a fighter. Blind Casters are more difficult, but still doable as long as you are not a cleric. Getting to level 3 will be really difficult though.

For a fighter just take the blind fighting style. You will be gimped some because you can only see 10 feet but it is playable.

A blind caster except Cleric or Warlock can get the spell darkvision which would allow them to see out to 60 feet as long as they were not in bright light. A blind character can also get the devil's sight invocation which would let them see in darkness, they could pair this with the darkness spell pretty effectively.
Blindsight within 10' is cool, but I wouldn't call such a character "gimped a little", considering that anyone can become hidden from such a character by moving more than 10' away. They'd certainly be ambushed constantly by ranged attackers, and they'd need a sighted character to tell them where distant enemies are.

The rules don't cover this, but I can 't imagine using the Dash action when you're always at risk of running into solid obstacles, lol.

But I will concede that you could play such a character, but I think you'd be better off in PF1e where you can get Feats like Blinded Master which grants 30' blindsight (along with accompanying Feats that grant scent, bonuses on non-visual Perception checks, etc.).

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I always kind of assumed that things like darkvision required functional (and open) eyes in order to be of any use.

Now if a blind character could somehow pick up echolocation, like what a bat uses, that would be cool. :)

ECMO3

Hero
I always kind of assumed that things like darkvision required functional (and open) eyes in order to be of any use.

Now if a blind character could somehow pick up echolocation, like what a bat uses, that would be cool. :)

A blind Wizard or Warlock with Find Familiar can summon a Bat and see through its senses. They can't really cast spells like that though because it ends at the begining of their turn.

ECMO3

Hero
Blindsight within 10' is cool, but I wouldn't call such a character "gimped a little", considering that anyone can become hidden from such a character by moving more than 10' away. They'd certainly be ambushed constantly by ranged attackers, and they'd need a sighted character to tell them where distant enemies are.

RAW they would need to take the hide action to be hidden and anyone who attacks has their location revealed (unless they have the Skulker Feat). If they moved 10 feet away they would be unseen and fully obscured, which is still bad of course, but the fighter would know where they were if they were attacking him.

Alert Feat would also make it so unseen attackers don't have advantage on attacks on you. You would still have disadvantage unless you closed within 10 feet though.

The Darkness spell with alert and blind fighting would give you an advantage on attacks against enemies within 10 feet, while all enemies would have disadvantage attacking you.

Last edited:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
A blind Wizard or Warlock with Find Familiar can summon a Bat and see through its senses. They can't really cast spells like that though because it ends at the begining of their turn.
Yeah, to be any use this feature would have to be "always on".

Oofta

Legend
Except when an ability stipulates an exception. That's my point. I can totally see a DM interpreting it that way.

Most spells are either "range/area" of "self" or "___ feet". Anything with a range of feet must have, as explained in chapter 10 of the PHB, a clear path to the target.

But yes, there are few like Sending have a range of "unlimited", which to be consistent should be "self" IMHO. A DM can also house rule all they want of course.

Remove ads