D&D 5E Wall of Force options

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Maybe just a typo on your part, but one needs to be 9th level to cast 5th level spells.
Oops. If by "typo" you mean quickly typing a response while tired and getting it wrong, then, yes. :) Will correct the post. But it only further goes to show why cube of force may be overly powerful for 5th level characters.

Clint_L

Hero
Good question! The text in the description of Fireball says "The fire spreads around corners" but most spells don't indicate what they are blocked by. The text for Wall of Force says "Nothing can physically pass through the wall" which implies anything that isn't physical (such as Moonbeam) can pass through it.

I assume @Clint_L would take "some spells" to mean "when specifically mentioned in the spell description" which I think is none.
Yeah, if you could stop using my name to build straw man arguments, I would appreciate it, and I won't invoke yours in return.

You have no idea how I would rule, because as I was at pains to point out right at the start, I rule according to what makes the most sense in the story. So since Wall of Force is clearly meant to be a Sue Storm-style, nigh impenetrable force field, I would just rule out almost of these rules lawyering shenanigans and continue with the game. I might add an eye roll.

As I also pointed out, very explicitly, I was therefore adding what the rules as written say and what Jeremy Crawford has explicitly stated about this spell, for those who care about such things. Which is:

1. That Wall of Force counts as total cover
2. That you can't target things that have total cover unless the spell explicitly says so
3. That sacred flame explicitly says so (as Crawford acknowledges)

You are making an assumption that because JC gave a secondary justification of sacred flame "coming from above" this means that all spells that "come from above" therefore ignore it. If true, this would mean that wall of force had different properties depending on which direction it was facing, which would seem odd indeed.

As for earthquake or similar ground effects (or tunnelling under it): does the wall cover the floor? If so, then yeah, immune. If not, then outta luck.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Yeah, if you could stop using my name to build straw man arguments, I would appreciate it, and I won't invoke yours in return.

You have no idea how I would rule, because as I was at pains to point out right at the start, I rule according to what makes the most sense in the story. So since Wall of Force is clearly meant to be a Sue Storm-style, nigh impenetrable force field, I would just rule out almost of these rules lawyering shenanigans and continue with the game. I might add an eye roll.

As I also pointed out, very explicitly, I was therefore adding what the rules as written say and what Jeremy Crawford has explicitly stated about this spell, for those who care about such things. Which is:

2. That you can't target things that have total cover unless the spell explicitly says so
3. That sacred flame explicitly says so (as Crawford acknowledges)

You are making an assumption that because JC gave a secondary justification of sacred flame "coming from above" this means that all spells that "come from above" therefore ignore it. If true, this would mean that wall of force had different properties depending on which direction it was facing, which would seem odd indeed.

As for earthquake or similar ground effects (or tunnelling under it): does the wall cover the floor? If so, then yeah, immune. If not, then outta luck.
But could earthquake open up a fissure beneath the wall of force, dropping it (and anyone within) into a pit?

When you stop using absolutist interpretations of the rules like this:
If so, then yeah, immune. If not, then outta luck.
Then sure.

It is certainly possible to interpret the rule as you do, but it is not the ONLY interpretation that fits the wording. Hence "DM's call".
If true, this would mean that wall of force had different properties depending on which direction it was facing
Given that the spell description itself specifies two forms: wall and dome, I don't see this as an issue.
A wooden table provides total cover - but only if it is directly between the target and the spellcaster. The direction the cover faces matters. And does it provide cover against AoE effects that would instantly destroy a wooden table, or attacks that would be unaffected by it, such as a giant boulder? The wording says: "A target has total cover if it is completely concealed by an obstacle." So hiding under a blanket protects me from a giant boulder? Or is it up to the DM to decide what constitutes an "obstacle", taking the situation into account?

Last edited:

Well Cube of Force allows for this and other options, and it is only rare. According to the DMG, rare items should be rewarded to PCs that are at least 5th level.
That means that it is potentially available, not that it is automatically available. Personally, I have never seen a Cube of Force in a D&D game.

But the rarity system is a nonsense, and has little relation to the power of the item in question. Compare Boots of the Wilderland, Ring of Cold Resistance, Ring of Warmth. It's more thematic.

MNblockhead

But could earthquake open up a fissure beneath the wall of force, dropping it (and anyone within) into a pit?
Sure. I'd even rule that they take fall damage. Like being in a falling elevator.

Or a purple work could swallow them.

A tone of ceiling rock can be collapsed over it.

It is a powerful spell but not best for short respite to get some heals in, etc. It can be both a refuge and a prison.

MNblockhead

That means that it is potentially available, not that it is automatically available. Personally, I have never seen a Cube of Force in a D&D game.

But the rarity system is a nonsense, and has little relation to the power of the item in question. Compare Boots of the Wilderland, Ring of Cold Resistance, Ring of Warmth. It's more thematic.
Sure. I don't really pay that much attention to rarity and CR levels. With my current group, if I try to run games according to default balance assumptions, my players will roll over all obstacles.

In my current campaign, the wizard has a cube of force, but they were already in late tier 2 early tier 3 by that time. Mostly it was useful for blocking escapes, closing distance with ranged attackers, etc.

No that the party is at 17th level, the cube of force almost never comes in play. When polymorph and wish become available, its kinda pointless to worry about the cube of force "breaking" the game.

Years ago I played a Wizard who found a Cube of Force (was he... 17th level?).
My partial solutions to use magic outside the Cube were:
faces 2,4) Nonliving matter/Spells Effects can't pass through the barrier... My Wizard left the Cube 5feet on the floor behind him (or to an ally), extended his arm beyond the wall of Force, so he could project (nonliving) effects from his bare hand. Also, the wizard had protection from some weapons (and undeads, golems, animated objects, fire, etc.)
face 3) Living matter can 't pass through the barrier... Obvious. He was protected by creatures' physical attacks which used their body parts as weapons.
face 5) Never used this trick: the familiar is outside the Cube and... "...when you Cast a Spell with a range of touch, your familiar can deliver the spell as if it had cast the spell..." - (the Familiar was a real cat, so my Wizard never let it join the fight).

Wall of Force. Already shown. Papyrnus the Wizard entrapped a CR19 enemy while the rest of the party dealt with other enemies. After, the allies prepared actions and stroke at unison when the Wizard dropped the concentration.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases