D&D 5E Wall of Force options

Hussar

Legend
Because rulz. It's described above. "To target something, you must have a clear path to it, so it can't be behind total cover." The wall of force counts as total cover, as per sage advice.
Thank you. That's exactly the thing I was looking for. Excellent. As always, RTFM. Two big thumbs up.

cwallach

Explorer
Lets say that Moonbeam is cast (by another PC) prior to Wall of Force. Can the Moonbeam then be moved if the Wall of Force is between the Moonbeam and its caster?

Stalker0

Legend
So if you use the “can’t target” criteria as what wall of force blocks or doesn’t, unfortunately that includes most Simmons as well.

Conjure animals for example targets a square. Well that targeting would be blocked by WoF just as much as a creature target would, so you can’t conjure the animal past the wall

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
It is a high risk tool. The fighter in one of the games I run is using it and using it well. They often make it so that creatures can't pass through it, but spells and objects can ... and that proved to be a problem when they were knocked unconcious and the only healer nearby could only heal with a touch. Even unconcious, the cube stayed up and forced him to roll the dice on death saves.

It is a powerful tool, and as such will be iconic for the user. It will make them feel powerful - but that power comes with a risk.
For me, like a lot of oh-crud-what-have-I-gotten-myself-into moments in 5e is that I play with a very skilled group of veteran players. When I started playing with this group, I hadn't run any TTRPG for a couple decades. There is this great blog and series of books that came out of that blog called "The Monsters Know What They Are Doing" that gives tips for running monsters. It would love a similar series that did deep dives in to magic items and spells.

Clint_L

Hero
It doesn't go through the wall - the spell description says the effect comes down, same as Sacred Flame.

And if you place the effect at point in mid air over the top of the wall and above the target, the effect extends downwards 20 feet.

You can also move the beam as a bonus action, and there is nothing to indicate this movement is impeded by any sort of barrier.

But the rest the rules are open to interpretation. It doesn't need to ignore cover since it doesn't need to be targeted.
It does need to be targeted: "centered on a point within range." The words "ignore cover" have a very specific meaning in D&D; they are specifically added to very few spells. Sacred flame is one of those spells, moonbeam is not. I think your ruling on moonbeam would open the door to a lot of other spells and create exactly the situation that wall of force seems intended to prevent. Your campaign, though, so if that is comfortable for you, then there's no problem.

Stalker0

Legend
It does need to be targeted: "centered on a point within range." The words "ignore cover" have a very specific meaning in D&D; they are specifically added to very few spells. Sacred flame is one of those spells, moonbeam is not. I think your ruling on moonbeam would open the door to a lot of other spells and create exactly the situation that wall of force seems intended to prevent. Your campaign, though, so if that is comfortable for you, then there's no problem.
Yeah moonbeams target is blocked as easily as any other by wall of force.

Lets say that Moonbeam is cast (by another PC) prior to Wall of Force. Can the Moonbeam then be moved if the Wall of Force is between the Moonbeam and its caster?
There is nothing in the rules to prevent it. Wouldn't need to be prior, either. RAW, after it's cast the Moonbeam can be moved through anything.

Clint_L

Hero
I'm not sure what you think is so special about moonbeam. It still can't target something that has total cover, which is what you are trying to do - you are trying to summon it here and then move it there, to a new target. There's still nothing allowing that particular spell to ignore cover.

Is it that wall of force is transparent? This was specifically addressed by Crawford, and it doesn't make a difference; it still counts as full cover. If it makes it easier to understand, imagine wall of force as an adamantium dome in this situation. You can move moonbeam on top of it all you want; it ain't getting through. According to RAW, anyway. Your campaign, your rules - if I was a player and you told me it was transparent so moonbeam could go right through, I would be fine with it.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I was about to ask if a hemispherical wall of force had a floor, wondering if something could go under it, but then I remembered Crawford's "ruling" about tiny hut.

Remove ads