Wand of Accuracy question

malraux

First Post
I'm building a wizard for a game I'm joining and I have a question about when I can use my wand of accuracy ability. Do I have to declare it before I roll the attack, after I roll the attack but before I know the result, or after I know the result?

disarray2

First Post
Wand of Accuracy is a free action. Therefore, you must use it before you attack.

Just because it is a free action doesn't mean it needs to be taken first.

"On your turn, you take actions: a standard
action, a move action, a minor action, and any
number of free actions, in any order you wish."

Rafe

First Post
It's really vague, so it's basically up to the group and DM. My take is that it has to be used prior to rolling but hey... it's vague.

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
I'd say that you can do it after rolling, but before you know the result. If you could do it after the result, it would be an immediate interrupt. As a free action, it's like putting a bit of a curve on the ball after the fact, using the wand to direct the attack, not unlike a Wii remote.

Tony Vargas

Legend
The Wand of Accuracy is arguably the wussiest of the implement masteries. The Staff of Defense not only gives you a +1 AC all the time, but a bonus to all defenses that you can aply /after/ you know the result of an attack roll that'd've hit you. Compared to that, an attack after the roll - so you only use it when using it makes a difference between hitting & missing - hardly seems unreasonable.

But, IIRC, the wording goes the other way: doesn't it say something about adding you your 'next' attack roll? Regardless of the kind of action, that'd imply invoking the ability before you rolled. In any case, it only affects 1 roll, which is pretty sad for a class so into multiple-target AEs.

disarray2

First Post
But, IIRC, the wording goes the other way: doesn't it say something about adding you your 'next' attack roll? Regardless of the kind of action, that'd imply invoking the ability before you rolled. In any case, it only affects 1 roll, which is pretty sad for a class so into multiple-target AEs.

Here's what it says. It doesn't read to me like it has to be before you roll. I generally add it before I announce it to my DM if it's an iffy roll. But I would really love for it to say I could find out if it missed before.

Wand of Accuracy: Once per encounter as a free
action, you gain a bonus to a single attack roll equal to
your Dexterity modifier. You must wield your wand to
benefit from this feature. This form of mastery is good
for war wizards because it helps increase their accuracy
with damaging powers.

CovertOps

First Post

No books in front of me but that seems rather silly. More likley it affects a single use of a POWER. So if you used Thunderwave you would get the +[DEX] to all targets in the area. If it doesn't work that way I'd have to houserule it that way. Ridiculous.

I do think you have to use it before you roll your dice to attack because it is not an interrupt.

Gruns

Explorer
My ruling is "after".

Wand of Accuracy: Once per encounter as a free action, you gain a bonus to a single attack roll equal to your Dexterity modifier. You must wield your wand to benefit from this feature. This form of mastery is good for war wizards because it helps increase their accuracy with damaging powers.

I think for this to be of ANY use at all, you have to let the player use it after the roll is made. And even then this requires a DM that tells the player the targets Defense, which apparantly most DMs don't. (I do.) Most wizards are going to have a +2 Dex bonus at best, really, so this is already of somewhat limited use. Once per encounter you can turn a near miss into a hit. Hardly broken.
If you have to use this before the roll is made, it is useless 90% of the time, assuming a +2 Dex bonus. This hardly sounds like the intent, especially when you consider how good the other two implement options are.
Later!
Gruns

Remove ads