D&D 3E/3.5 Wands in 3.5

tetsujin28

First Post
I haven't played a magic us...er...wizard in some 20 years. I can't figure out something: In 3.5, can you recharge wands/staves/rods, anymore? 'Cause if you can't, that makes them a bit gimped, especially in a 'low cash' campaign.

Nope. No recharging of magic items in 3E/3.5.

I wouldn't say they're "gimped," though. They're a lot easier to get a hold of than they were in older editions (assuming a "by the book" level of funds/magic items).

tetsujin28

First Post
Thanks, Ari! That's what I thought. I don't think they're gimped if you're using the standard D&D cash rewards, but this game is going to be low-cash. I might put my money elsewhere.

To be entirely honest, I kinda miss it. I like the idea of a wizard questing to recharge his favorite staff.

But given the current system w/Item Creation feats, it really would be superfluous. If you can make a new wand of fireballs/staff of power/whatever, why try to charge up an old one?

I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to houserule a recharge system, but to remain remotely balanced, the costs would have to be pretty near the cost of creating a new one from scratch...

Oberyn

First Post
All you have to do is make one feat.

Reacharge Power (Item Creation)
Prerequisites: Craft Staff, Craft Wand
To Recharge an item it must have charges to begin with. Even some items that have charges may not be recharged. This feat allows you to recharge Wands and Staff's. It takes 1 day to recharge a wand for every 100gp in its base charge price and 1 day per 50 gp in the base charge price to recharge a staff.

Special: You may only recharge items you have created yourself.

To detirmine the base charge price of recharging an item you simply take the base cost of the item and divide this by the total number of charges+10 to get the gp value per charge, and divide by another 25 to get the xp cost. That gives you the price per charge now simply decide how many charges you would like to put back into the item. then multiply the base charge cost by the number of charges you want. You must also cast the spell you want to recharge into the wand once per day of crafting. You may not increase a wand or staffs number of charges to above the maximum set at its creation.

For example lets take a wand of fireball at a 10th level caster. Base price normally 11,250 gp 450 xp. Now lets say you wanted to put another 13 charges back into this after some adventuring since you have plenty of downtime but not enough gold to create a whole new one. So simply divide the normal base price by max charges+10.

11,250 / 60 = 187 gp (rounded down)

Now divide this number by 25 to get the xp price per charge.

187 / 25 = 7 xp per charge (once again rounded down for simplicity)

So each charge costs 187 gp and 7 xp and you want 13 charges.

187 x 13 = 2,431 + 7 x 13 = 91

So to recharge your wand of fireball you would need to spend 2,431 gp. on variouse alchemical mixes and other focuses to impart your magic back onto the item. And 91 xp also imparting bits of yourself onto it again. All of this would take you 24 days nearly a month of adventuring time.

My main ideas for above would be that it could cost a little less on the monetary side of things while costing them ALOT more on the time scale. Along with having to cast the spell everyday so you couldnt very well do it very easily while adventuring. The increased time also has to do with an idea of mine that it would take alot more time to impart magical abilitys on materials that are 'stale' compared to making a fresh spankin new wand.

Alternativly you could turn the recharge wand and staff into two seperate feats to make it even a lil bit harder.

What do you all think?

Thanee

First Post
Or you could simply allow to recharge an item, by using the rules for creating a new item of that kind and deduct the reduced cost of the existing item from what you have to pay for it.

Bye
Thanee

green slime

First Post
SKR suggests on his web site handling recharging be done in packets of 10 charges, so as not to detract too much from the single shot items

dcollins

Explorer
Mouseferatu said:
I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to houserule a recharge system, but to remain remotely balanced, the costs would have to be pretty near the cost of creating a new one from scratch...

It actually needs to be higher, or else there'd be no reason to ever sink x50 value into creating a new one... for example, the price of a scroll would be reasonable (same benefit/cost)...

Pyrex

First Post
I'm with Thanee on this one. Why make it harder than necessary?

How is recharging it any different than just making a second one?

The major impact of allowing recharging then becomes the reduction/removal of the secondary market in partially charged wands... :)

Infiniti2000

First Post
Pyrex said:
How is recharging it any different than just making a second one?
The fact that you have to spend a lot of money on a brand new one. If you allow recharging at increments of 1, then you make scrolls totally worthless and even potions lose a lot of their importance (because they are so much more expensive). As SKR suggests there really must be a minimum for recharging or you need to make some other houserules to compensate. SKR's suggestion of packets of 10 is probably reasonable, especially in a low cash campaign. In a higher (normal) cash campaign, you might consider 15 or even 20.

Remove ads