D&D 5E War cries for shouty barbarians

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I would want an ability that focuses every enemy's attention on me, not just enemies in adjacent squares.
Battle Challenge: All enemies (or every enemy within a Thunderwave-sized space? or a Fear-sized space?) must make a WIS save (vs what DC?) to attack anybody but me. The save happens at the end of their turn.

Now my friend the Rogue owes me a mug of stout. ;-)

NotAYakk

Legend
These definitely need better scaling than they have.

Rage Damage bonus goes from 2 to 4.

I like peaching the crit die. That crit die isn't very good, and the desert from 9 to 19 makes multiclass barbarians a no brainer.

Start with 2d4, end with 4d10 warcry dice. Warcry dice are regained when you start a rage or score a critical hit. After you finish a warcry you lose 1 warcry die. Die size increases instead of the critical dice. Die count increases with rage damage bonus.

Wrath
: push warcry dice feet.
Threatening Shout: gain warcry dice temporary HP
Grim Shout: 5'+warcry dice radius
Furious Charge:
gain 5'+warcry feet movement
War Cry:
5'+warcry dice radius
Rallying Cry: 5'+warcry dice radius. Roll warcry dice; gain max of HD expended or best warcry die
Ground Stomp: 5'+warcry dice radius
Seismic Slam:
warcry dice damage

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Not gonna lie, I thought that the rage damage bonus topped out at +5. I probably find out that it's +4 maximum and then eventually forget and go back to believing it's +5. I'll review the number they know. Maybe give a bonus at level 1 or perhaps a few levels later so that dedication to the class gets you bonus war cries.

I'd rather not have a limited resource for the war cries, rather I want them to be always available either as an action or when the trigger. Remember that these are layered on top of the current class, they aren't replacing anything.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
So I really like this idea. After thinking about it, I think I agree with @cbwjm that these abilities should be used at will whenever specific conditions are met. I like the idea of these being an alternative to Brutal Critical, and I think the key is making the triggering conditions a bit more generous than Brutal Critical. Here's my version that I think I will be using moving forward:

Primal Tactics
At level 9, you have learned to incorporate devastating tactics into the way you fight. You may choose one of the Primal Tactics listed below. Each ability describes when and how it activates. If a Primal Tactics requires a Saving Throw, the DC is equal to 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Strength modifier. If you know more than one Primal Tactic, only one can be used per turn. Using a Primal Tactic counts as an attack for the purpose of preventing your rage from ending early.

You learn an additional Primal Tactic at level 13, and again at level 17.

Thunderous Blow
Your strikes are so mighty that the force can be felt across the battlefield and cause nearby opponents to stagger back. When you score a critical hit or reduce a hostile target to 0 hit points, you can use your reaction to unleash a Thunderous Shout. All hostile creatures within 10 feet of you must make a Strength saving throw. On a failure they take thunder damage equal to 1d12 + your rage damage and are knocked back 10 feet. On a success they take half damage and are not pushed back.

Terrifying Shout
You have learned to combine your attacks with a frightening howl, causing your enemies to momentarily lose the will to fight. When you score a critical hit or reduce a hostile creature to 0 hit points, you can use your reaction to unleash a Terrifying Shout. All hostile creatures within 20 feet that can see and hear you must make a Wisdom saving throw or be frightened of you until the end of their next turn.

War Cry
Your rage is contagious, and through your voice it drives your allies to become more deadly. When you enter your rage, or if you use an action to activate this ability while raging, you can unleash a War Cry. Until the start of your next turn, all allies who can hear you within 30 feet gain a bonus to their melee damage equal to your rage damage.

Rallying Cry
You have learned to unleash a primal call that drives your allies to push beyond their normal limits. When you first enter your rage, you and all allies who can hear you within 30 feet gain temporary hit points equal to 1d12 + your rage bonus.

Ground Stomp
As an action while you are raging, you can slam the ground so violently that it can knock your enemies to the ground. Each creature within 10 feet must make a Dexterity saving throw or be knocked prone.

Remove ads