D&D 5E War Never Changes: Fallout Inspired Post Apocalyptic Campaign?

Zardnaar

Legend
You'd mostly just be using the lore though, right? Might as well use Fallout if you like their lore better. Not that I have anything against Gamma World, but the idea to my mind was to use Fallout for inspiration.

I know the Fallout Lore. Very vague on GW. I know it exists and it's North America. Beyond that......

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I know the Fallout Lore. Very vague on GW. I know it exists and it's North America. Beyond that......

Does DriveThruRPG work in New Zealand? The 1e edition is $9.99 (and the others are on there too - I used to own either 2e or 3e too, but don't remember anything about them). The 1e is definitely an early TSR product in terms of the writing and structure.

You can see a lot of snippets from it at: GAMMA WORLD 1st ed (1978-82): The Original Post-Apoc RPG

Last edited:

Reynard

Legend
They are very different kinds of post apocalyptic. GW characters generally don't know anything about the old world and consider any tech magical. It is more like Numenera in that way, but with a crazy gonzo vibe.

I'll reiterate that if you want to get a sense of how you can do a Fallout style PA game with D&D as a foundation, look into Earthdawn.

Zardnaar

Legend
Does DriveThruRPG work in New Zealand? The 1e edition is $9.99 (and the others are on there too - I used to own either 2e or 3e too, but don't remember anything about them). The 1e is definitely an early TSR product in terms of the writing and structure.

You can see a lot of snippets from it at: GAMMA WORLD 1st ed (1978-82): The Original Post-Apoc RPG

It does but then I have to print it or enjoy reading it.

Doesn't help me convincing others to play it.

We don't get cheap PoD here it's frustrating. May as well buy the hardcover at that point

I ordered 3 books from kobold press I couldn't find here. $200 USD later.

So basically you spend $50-70usd per book you cant get players for. At least here might be different in say Auckland.

Printing in colour is 0.50 usd per page.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter

Doesn't help me convincing others to play ot.

Oh, I was just thinking for possible inspiration. I am completely sympathetic to the difficulties of getting others to play things!
(If nothing else Gamma World was D&D adjacent in being the ability score set-up and hit points, as far as looking into it for inspiration.)

I was tempted to post elsewhere that I'd love Wizards to do two alternate PHB's, one with a default Post Apocalyptic setting and one with Steam Punk.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
They are very different kinds of post apocalyptic. GW characters generally don't know anything about the old world and consider any tech magical. It is more like Numenera in that way, but with a crazy gonzo vibe.

I'll reiterate that if you want to get a sense of how you can do a Fallout style PA game with D&D as a foundation, look into Earthdawn.
Is Earthdawn a D&D game? I thought it had its own system.

Reynard

Legend

Doesn't help me convincing others to play it.

We don't get cheap PoD here it's frustrating. May as well buy the hardcover at that point

I ordered 3 books from kobold press I couldn't find here. $200 USD later.
It's tough if you can't read PDFs in a way you get anything out of them.

On topic: if what you really want to do is resting 5e stuff to "feel fallout" I think you should focus on what makes Fallout feel like Fallout: a weird world open to wide exploration. Make or borrow or buy a bunch of random charts for the crazy, interesting stuff players are going to find while they explore the wastes.

Zardnaar

Legend
Oh, I was just thinking for possible inspiration. I am completely sympathetic to the difficulties of getting others to play things!

I was tempted to post elsewhere that I'd love Wizards to do two alternate PhB's, one with a default Post Apocalyptic setting and one with Steam Punk.

Well I got Tome of Beasts here for around $70. To print it in colour it's only around $250.

Zardnaar

Legend
It's tough if you can't read PDFs in a way you get anything out of them.

On topic: if what you really want to do is resting 5e stuff to "feel fallout" I think you should focus on what makes Fallout feel like Fallout: a weird world open to wide exploration. Make or borrow or buy a bunch of random charts for the crazy, interesting stuff players are going to find while they explore the wastes.

Generally I buy small PDFs or cheap ones I'm interested in. Then I order the hard cover.

No cheap Amazon either due to postage. You're paying full retail prices essentially.

Remove ads