War of the Burning Sky (updated 24th May)

Shelter from the Storm

Interlude – No Ticket

Cast of Characters

Gribron – human spellcaster
Ambar – catfolk battle sorcerer
Agatha – human witch
Caryk – tortle monk
Solsus – pixie
Jonathan – “human scholar”

Haddin – elderly wizard
Cristin – his daughter

Town of Bluehaven, Kingdom of Dassen
January 19th

Our heroes have arrived in Bluehaven, a picturesque seaside town in the Kingdom of Dassen. They are hoping to find a ship to take them to Seaquen.

It has taken them a week to make it this far, and most of the party are fed up with land travel. The people of Dassen are not especially hospitable at the best of times, and are becoming increasingly annoyed about the hordes of foreign refugees now flooding into the country.

The party have received a particularly sour reception, once word got out that they are responsible for dousing the Fire Forest. The fire provided a partial barrier between Dassen and their powerful Ragesian neighbours. The locals are worried that Ragesian troops might pass through Dassen and through the forest en route to attack Gate Pass.

Jonathan looks around the tavern, and spots Gribron approaching.

“Any luck finding a boat?” he asks.

“None at all. The locals are mostly too scared to put to sea at the moment. Ships have been disappearing, and there are rumours of mysterious warships patrolling just out of sight of land.”

“Surely there must be some daring captains willing to take a risk if the price is right? Eight passengers, after all. ”

“There were,” says Gribron. “They have already been hired by refugees who got here earlier. Those are the ships that have disappeared.”

At that moment, a man approaches them.

“Hello,” sys the man. I understand you are in need of a ship. I would like to offer my services.”

“We are indeed,” says Jonathan. “Who are you?”

“I’m Captain Jed of the Seahawk. My vessel is at your disposal.”

“How much do you charge for passage?”

The man seems slightly non-plussed for a second. His face goes blank for a moment, and then he says “Fifty gold pieces each. Meet me at my ship tomorrow morning.” Without further ado, he leaves. Gribron surreptitiously casts a spell at the man’s departing back.

Agatha, Ambar and the rest wander over to see what is going on.

“There was something not quite right about him,” says Jonathan.

“He was radiating magic,” says Gribron, “as if he was under an enchantment of some kind.”

Solsus decides to follow the man back to his ship, but everything seems as it should be. The rest of the party ask around about Captain Jed, but they find out nothing untoward. Its seems that Jed is quite well regarded locally, and has a reputation as an honest, efficient and steady sailor. It is considered somewhat out of character for him to offer his vessel in a risky venture, but possibly he has financial difficulties and is taking a calculated risk.

The next morning, the party boards the Sea Hawk, an elderly but well maintained coastal trading vessel. The crew seem a bit reluctant to set sail, but it is clear they trust and respect their captain. Half of the fee is paid in advance, with the rest to follow when they dock in Seaquen.

For the first couple of days the weather is fair, but on the third day a squall blows up, and Haddin and Ambar both feel suffer from sea sickness and do not emerge from their cabins.

The rest of the group are out on deck, where the fresh air helps to counteract the motion of the ship somewhat. Agatha is the first to notice that the ship seems to be heading towards the shore.

They question the captain about this.

“I never wanted to set sail in the first place,” snarls Jed. “Someone must have put a spell on me. I’m not risking my ship on this foolish journey. I’ll put you off here, then head back to Bluehaven.”

“We had an agreement,” says Caryk. “I’m sure none of us would put a spell on you. We’ve met our part of the bargain and we would expect you to do the same.”

Jonathan decides the best course of action is for him to take the captain aside and reason with him. His methods of persuasion are very effective; the captain looks pale and shaken when Jonathan has finished talking, but agrees to continue on to Seaquen as fast as possible in order to get rid of his passengers in the shortest possible time.

The crew mutter and look askance at yet another change of heart on the part of the captain, but again Jonathan is equal to the task. He hands out gold pieces and words of encouragement, and the crew reluctantly agree to continue, at least until there is any actual danger.

The following day dawns bright and breezy. The squall has passed them by, and Ambar and Haddin have recovered from their sea sickness. The captain seems to have lost his previous ill humour, and has returned to the calm, almost laid back demeanour he possessed when they first met him.

Caryk is suspicious. “I bet that scoundrel Haddin has been using his mind controlling magic on the captain. The captain wasn’t happy yesterday, when Haddin was too sick to control him, but now Haddin’s well again the captain is back to his old behaviour. I’m going to have words with that wizard.” With that, he marches off to Haddin’s cabin.

A few minutes later, Caryk returns. He has a big grin on his face. “We sorted out our little misunderstanding. It was all in my imagination. Haddin is a great fellow, and I apologise for ever doubting him.”

The captain wanders over. “Yes. I am fine. We are making good time. We should be in Seaquen soon.”

Solsus has been scouting, whenever he can do so without being left behind. He is able to fly up and see things before they are visible to the sailor in the crow’s nest, so he is the first to see the ship ahead of them. It is a large warship, and appears to be of elven design. He returns to warn the others.

The party have some difficulty persuading the captain to slow down and approach the strange vessel more cautiously. Caryk sides with the captain, but when Haddin arrives to see what the argument is about he is quickly able to persuade both Caryk and the captain of the need to reduce speed.

Solsus sets off again, and flies up to the warship. It is flying the flag of Shahalesti. He hopes none of the crew are able to see invisible creatures. There are a few elves on deck who look like they might be wizards, but none of them seem to have detected him. Of course, at the moment they have no reason to suspect his presence. Things might be different if they were alerted to the fact that there was an intruder. Solsus resolves to do nothing rash.

The party discuss their options. The Shahalesti warship is clearly stationed to prevent access to Seaquen by sea, and the Sea Hawk, sturdy though she is, would be no match for her in a contest of weaponry or seaworthiness.

Captain Jed agrees to put the party ashore at Vidor, a nearby settlement which is not even impressive enough to be called a village.

“We’ve saved ourselves a couple of weeks of travel along Dassel’s roads,” says Caryk cheerfully. “We only have the swamp left to get through and then we’ll be in Seaquen.

Act One – The Swamp

Scene 1
Thorp of Vidor
January 25th, 11 am

Vidor is a pitiful settlement, whose normal ill-kempt appearance is made worse by constant drizzling rain and the presence of several score of refugees. The inhabitants are a shifty looking lot, and are very free with information.

It appears the swamp proper is about fifteen miles south of the thorp. There is a road of sorts, but it vanishes as soon as it hits the swamp. Generally the swamp is about three feet deep, and it is full of all sorts of dangerous creatures. Most of the refugees passing through here have bought rowing boats from Leto Moore, the boat builder.

One red haired female mage didn’t buy a boat. Instead she hired a pair of brawny local lads as bodyguards and set off on foot.

“Red haired mage,” says Caryk. “Weren’t we asked to look out for that guy’s sister? What was his name? Randall?”

“Rantle,” says Solsus. “His sister’s name is Katrina. She had red hair and was heading this way. It might be her.”

Attitudes towards refugees are mixed. The locals consider black cats to be unlucky, and are worried that the recent spate of wizards and their feline companions may have put a curse on the town. The poor refugees who can’t afford enough supplies to brave the swamp are a nuisance, but more affluent refugees have been a welcome source of gold.

The party decide to split up.

Caryk will visit the refugees, and give them what aid and alms he can. Solsus, Jonathan and Agatha will see about getting a boat. Ambar and Gribron will scout out the thorp and see if they can pick up any useful information. Haddin and Cristin are letting everyone else sort out the arrangements, as usual.

It’s a small settlement, and Leto Moore’s boat works is a very noisy place. Finding it is easy enough.

Agatha wanders over and asks him about his prices.

He gives her a beaming smile. “Good day to you madam. Is it a boat you are after? We’ve been working flat out to make as many boats as we can. Each one seats three and they are a steal at only one hundred gold pieces each. I’m letting the oars and poles go at cost – just five gold pieces each for them. And with every three boats sold I’m giving away a keg of beer.”

“One hundred gold pieces!” says Agatha in disbelief. “For a three seater row boat? And since there’s nine of us, that’ll be three hundred in total.”

“Don’t forget fifteen for the poles,” says Leto. “And the free beer. Its an awful struggle to make boats under such primitive conditions, especially since its been raining for a week with no sign of a break in the weather. I’d love to let you have them cheaper, but I can barely afford to sell them for a hundred each.”

At that moment there is a strange noise, and Leto slumps to the ground clutching his temples. Blood starts to pour from his nose and ears. He calls out in pain.

“Let me through,” calls out Jonathan in an important voice. “I am a healer, and this man has clearly been taken ill.” Luckily for the injured Leto, Jonathan had only just taken his healing kit out of his pack, confirming his status as a healer to the various onlookers.

Leto moans softly, then staggers to his feet. “My head hurts,” he says.

“I don’t like the look of that blood,” says Jonathan. “I’m worried it might be plague. Could be very dangerous.”

“Plague?” says Leto.

“Yes indeed,” replies Jonathan. “I have some rare and expensive herbs which might help, but they are in short supply and expensive. I only have a few of these expensive herbs left. I could let you have them in exchange for a boat.”

“I don’t think it is any kind of plague,” says Leto. “Anyway, the pain has passed and I feel fine now.”

Just as he finishes saying this, the strange noise is heard once more, and Leto collapses to the ground. Jonathan looks alarmed at such a violent reaction, and is visibly relieved when Leto comes round after a second or two. “Definitely the brain plague,” says Jonathan.

“You do look very peaky,” says Agatha sweetly. “One more bout might finish you off.”

Leto looks very upset. “The herbs. Give me the herbs, and you can have a boat. And a pole, as well. I feel terrible. I need the herbs.”

“Certainly,” says Jonathan. He pulls out the most unusual looking of the herbs he has in his healer’s kit, and gets Leto to help them. His mace, inscribed with the symbol of Olladra, glows slightly for a moment, and suddenly Leto feels much better.

When Gribron and Ambar catch up with the others, they see Jonathan has acquired a boat.

“We’ll need more than one boat,” says Gribron.

“I only need one,” replies Jonathan pleasantly. “The boat shop is in that direction. They are a hundred gold each, with oars extra.

“And people call me a thief!” exclaims Gribron indignantly. “I’m not paying those kind of prices.”

The recent rumours of plague have ensured that nobody is loitering around Leto’s boat shop, so Gribron finds it easy to attract the man’s attention. Once he has the man looking at him, Gribron starts to drone and make strange gestures. Soon Leto is staring at him in fascination.

“We are on an urgent mission,” says Gribron in a sing-song voice. “We need two boats, and since we are short of funds you will sell them to us for five gold pieces each.”

Gribron stops droning. “Your mission is urgent,” says Leto, “and you are short of funds. Take two boats and pay me five gold pieces each for them.”

“You are a very kind man,” says Gribron. With considerable difficulty he drags two boats over to the others. “How far is it to this swamp,” he asks, once he has his breath back.

“Fifteen miles,” replies Jonathan.

“I’m not carrying a boat for fifteen miles,” says Gribron, and sets off in search of some local youths. He persuades two of them to carry his boat for him in return for five gold pieces.

When Caryk returns, he is pleasantly surprised to see how well his comrades have organised things in his absence. “Good work guys,” he says. “However, someone in the village said that if we bought three boats we’d get a keg of beer.”

“We didn’t like to impose on the boat builder,” replies Gribron.

“That’s very thoughtful of you,” says Caryk.

Last edited:

Scene 2 – Attercops and Cypress Trees
The Sour Lake Swamp
January 25th, 1 pm

The party sets off into the swamp. The water is waist high on most of them, but that’s why they have the boats. Poling is not as easy as it looks. Unsurprisingly, it is still raining, deadening sounds and making archery more difficult.

Lacking either a map or a guide, the party follow Solsus’s suggestion and head along the coast. It is difficult to tell exactly where the swamp ends and the sea begins – and someone else seems to have made the same mistake. Keen eyed Solsus, scouting above the party, spots a ship which has run aground in a stand of cypress trees.

Solsus flies over the stranded ship. It is a coastal trader of some sort, fairly similar to the Sea Hawk. The hatch to the hold is open, and there is a small patch of blood beside it. Otherwise, there are no signs of life. As he flies back to the others he gets a sensation that there might be something in the trees.

Two of the party’s three boats move cautiously towards the ship. The third, carrying Haddin and Cristin, hangs back. As usual, they are content to let the rest of the group take all the risks.

Four thick bodied, spider-like creatures drop from the trees, and sprint across the shallow water towards the boats. The leader, the size of a wolf, heads straight for Jonathan and, with a mighty leap, knocks him backwards out of the boat and beneath the shallow waters of the swamp. Its comrades follow hard on its heels. One of them tries the same thing with Caryk, but the tortle is able to brace himself against the impact and it is the spider which is knocked back. The agile creature twists in the air and lands smoothly on its feet.

Jonathan, his mouth full of foul swamp water, feels the spiders’ fangs biting into him. He calls upon his mental powers to help him resist their venom, and leaps to his feet. This triggers a fresh round of attacks from his opponents, but his chain shirt is up to the challenge. A ball of frozen energy appears beside Jonathan, then shatters into a thousand pieces. The shards miss Jonathan, but shower the spiders.

Solsus notices a stirring in the branches of some of the other trees. There are more of these creatures lurking in ambush. Ignoring the fight which is currently raging, he calls upon the power of nature to aid him against these new foes. The branches of the trees shift and twist, and try and wrap themselves around the creatures lurking there.

However, the spiders were already in motion, and three of them are only slowed down by the entangling branches. The fourth, however, is stuck fast. The delay allows Agatha and Ambar to fire at the three new spiders, but then the beasts gather themselves and charge the nearest boat.

Ambar’s highly tuned reflexes allow her to evade the assault of the first spider, but she dodges straight into the path of the second. It knocks her from the boat, and she too takes an unwanted bath in the swamp. Gribron unleashes a spray of brightly coloured lights at the creatures, but the mindless vermin ignore him. He changes tactics, and starts hurling bolts of flame at them instead, to much greater effect.

Caryk drops carefully into the swamp, and moves to help Jonathan. Ambar climbs to her feet, hissing and spluttering, and uses the sword of Anyariel to good effect against the spiders who are surrounding her. Agatha’s eldritch blasts unerringly strike their targets, and Solsus chips in with his sling.

Now that the initial shock of the combat is over, seven wolf sized spiders prove no match for our heroes. They fall to blade, fist, spell and sling bullet. Soon the only one left is the eighth spider, struggling to escape the embrace of the trees. Gribron and Jonathan pull out their respective bows – a shortbow being Gribron’s choice, whilst Jonathan favours a light crossbow – and use it for target practice. It is Jonathan who finally finishes it off.

It is then time to turn to the party’s wounds. Only Jonathan and Ambar have been bitten, but the poison from the spiders’ fangs is making them feel faint. Solsus uses his healing skills to draw out the poison from Jonathan. Together, they help Ambar. Jonathan seems very taken with Ambar’s anatomy. She is probably wrong to feel flattered.

Solsus investigates the spiders’ nests in the trees, but finds nothing of interest. It appears this is merely a hunting ground, rather than the creatures’ lair. From a study of the bodies he deduces they are an obscure and exotic type of hunting spider called an attercop, but he can’t recall any further details.

The party then checks out the ship. The name on the side is “Milsoven” but that doesn’t mean anything to them. They clamber aboard, and most of them decide to investigate the hold. Solsus and Agatha prefer to keep watch outside.

Its dark inside the hold, but it’s a simple matter for somebody to cause Caryk’s staff to glow with light. The interior is large, but cramped. There are dozens of crates, some of which stretch almost up to the ceiling. It’s virtually a maze down here, and anything could be lurking in the shadows.

The crates are labelled as “manifest #1”, “manifest #2” etc., which is not very helpful. Many of them also have tiny holes drilled in them – possibly air holes. The party carefully lever up the lid of manifest #1, and discover the bodies of twelve bat-like creatures with long, sharp beaks. Eleven of them are shrivelled and desiccated, as if the blood had been drained out of them. The twelfth is much larger and bloated, and seems to have died of thirst.

“Stirges,” says Jonathan. “Nasty things. Dead, fortunately.”

Manifest #2 contains the corpse of a strange, four armed gorilla. Its hands end in razor sharp claws.

At that moment, Gribron hears the sound of scuttling feet. Four of the attercops emerge from the darkness, and hurl themselves at him. He disappears from the spot in the nick of time, and appears behind Ambar. The spiders continue forwards and attack Ambar instead. They are not fussy. However, before entering the hold she had protected herself with a shield of magical energy, and the spiders are unable to penetrate her defences.

Jonathan lets loose a maelstrom of crystal shards, and Caryk strikes out with his staff. Ambar draws her sword and skewers the nearest spider. The beast was already injured by Jonathan, and cannot withstand her attack. Another spider falls to Caryk’s staff, and Gribron blasts the third with a firebolt. At this point Agatha and Solsus arrive, having heard the sounds of battle, and the last spider falls to Agatha’s eldritch blast.

The immediate danger over, the party return to searching the hold. They find the bodies of a number of other strange creatures, including a winged horse, and also a crate whose top is not properly secured. This crate is empty, but it might once have contained a dozen or so spiders.

However, the most interesting find is at the back of the hold. Four humans, dressed in the garb of sailors, are tightly bound up in spider silk. Jonathan pulls out his autopsy kit and cuts loose one of the sailors. He is slightly disappointed when Caryk points out that the man is still alive, and heads off back to the winged horse to examine it instead.

All four sailors are alive, although in a weakened state. They explain that their ship was carrying a cargo of exotic creatures to Seaquen, but the spiders escaped. The sailors’ last memory is being bitten by the spiders, trying to launch the lifeboat, and then collapsing. When they woke up, they were bound. They don’t know what happened to the rest of the crew, but suspect they must have jumped overboard to escape the spiders.

It is fairly clear why the ship ran aground.

They want only to leave the ill fated vessel. They thank the party profusely for their help, point out the captain’s cabin, and then launch the ship’s boat. They have resolved to head northwards through the swamp to Vidor.

The party search the rest of the boat, but find nothing of interest apart from the cargo manifest in the captain’s cabin. It identifies the winged horse as a Pegasus and the four armed gorilla as a girillon, and states that everything, attercops and all, were to be delivered to one Banahman Vett, at the Lyceum in Seaquen. Since the Lyceum is the name of Seaquen’s college of magic, Vett is probably a mage of some kind.

“A dryad called Timbre, and now an animal collector called Vett. You just couldn’t make this stuff up,” says Agatha.

Scene 3 – Blood in the Water

The Sour Lake Swamp
January 25th, 5 pm

Its getting dark when the party spot a convenient patch of dry ground on which to camp. Two tufty grass mounds poke up from the swamp, connected by a fallen tree. The party decides to rest for the night on the larger of the two little islands.

Agatha has the first watch. She sits in the rain listening to the insects, and thinks she’s come a very long way in order to be this uncomfortable. At first nothing much seems to be happening, but then she fancies she sees a light approaching from the northwest. The folk of Vidor had warned the party of the dangers of strange lights in the swamp. On the other hand, they had also tried to sell the party necklaces of alligator teeth, guaranteed to protect them from the dangers of their journey.

She watches the light for a few moments. Its definitely coming closer, and its strangely diffused, as if its shining through fog. However, in every other direction the night is perfectly clear. She can also vaguely make out the sound of singing.

“This is getting far too weird,” she thinks. Moving quickly, she kicks awake the rest of the group. Gribron gets the benefit of two kicks. After all, he might be a heavy sleeper.

The light and the song are almost upon them. The words are in the common tongue, but there is a second singer harmonising in a strange, gurgly language none of the party recognise. The song seems to be about the joy of taking a refreshing swim in the cool waters of the swamp.

“Seems to be some sort of primitive, mind affecting music,” says Gribron.

“I wonder if they realise they are wasting their breath?” says Caryk scornfully. “I’m a tortle, and we love swimming, but even I’m not being influenced into thinking a night-time dip in a strange, dank swamp is a sensible idea.”

They both realise at the same time that Ambar is heading down to the water’s edge, crooning the song’s melody. Caryk races after her, but there is no way the plodding tortle can reach the swift catfolk in time.

Gribron has a better idea. He starts crooning a song of his own, about the dangers of swimming and the nastiness of swamps. He is able to catch Ambar’s attention, and she halts on the edge of the water, torn between two conflicting emotions. When Caryk arrives, he is able to lead her back towards Gribron.

Meanwhile, the light has arrived at the island, and the fog surrounding it vanishes. There is now a boat beached at the side of the island, but no oars or sail are visible. It is occupied by two creatures, vaguely human but with a twisted, demonic aspect to their features.

The taller of the two is tall and thin, and clad in rusted metal armour. Green water is oozing from her mouth. She ceases her singing and stares into space, as if waiting for something which fails to appear.

Her companion is shorter and unarmoured, but no less feeble looking. She carries the source of the light, a lantern on a pole. Scowling at the party, she chants words of lethargy and despair. Our heroes feel ice seeping into their bones, slowing their movements and making everything seem a massive effort.

However, the party have faced their share of hostile magic in their time, and all bar one are able to fight off the creature’s foul sorcery. Only Agatha, already tired from her time on watch, is unable to resist.

A split second later a third creature emerges from the swamp, and climbs up the side of the island towards Agatha. As emaciated as her sisters, she is clad from head to toe in the scales of some black, reptilian creature. She is in a fearful rage, frothing at the mouth and tearing at her long, black hair, and in her fist she holds a wickedly curved dagger. Screaming obscenities in some strange, infernal tongue, she hurls herself upon Agatha. Her inhuman strength drives the blade deep into Agatha’s stomach.

Agatha staggers back from the blow, and retaliates by launching a powerful blast of eldritch energy into her opponent’s face. In her rage the creature barely flinches, but Agatha feels too numb and weary to retreat to safety.

Gribron launches glowing missiles of force at the lantern bearing hag, and curses as they are snuffed out by her magical protection.

Caryk and Ambar move to engage Agatha’s opponent. Their blows strike true, but the creature just shrugs them off. Jonathan, moving in the opposite direction, skips past Caryk and finds a safe place to stand on the edge of the swamp. He unleashes a bolt of mental energy against the enraged hag, but to no avail.

Haddin and Cristin scramble through the foliage of the fallen tree on their way to the comparative safety of the other island.

Solsus takes to the air, and pulls a small pouch out of his backpack. He hurls it at the enraged hag fighting Agatha, Ambar and Caryk, and strikes a direct hit. The bag explodes on impact, and covers the hag in green goo. This soon hardens on contact with air, and sticks the hag to the ground.

The creature shows no signs of being worried by this turn of events and, despite being hindered by the hardened goo, slashes once more at Agatha. Once again, the powerful blow strikes home. Agatha collapses to the ground under the impact.

This causes the other two hags to burst out laughing. The one with the lantern recovers sufficiently to thrust out her hand, whisper words of power and bathe Caryk and Ambar in a cone of flame. Their cries of pain only make the hags laugh even louder.

Gribron, identifying the lantern-bearing hag as the main arcane threat, moves as close as he can and lets off a firebolt. The hag crumples under the onslaught, but recovers when her sister touches her and whispers words of healing.

Our heroes are not used to fighting such magically powerful, albeit insane, opponents. Caryk and Ambar bring down the raging hag at last, but Caryk is stabbed several times in the process. Solsus is able to use his healing wand to restore Agatha to some semblance of health, but then has to turn his attentions to the badly wounded tortle.

“At least I’m out of the danger zone,” thinks Jonathan from his safe vantage point at the side of the swamp. He launches a mental blast at the lantern bearing hag, and hopes that her sister is out of healing magic. He groans when the armoured hag pulls a mouldy scroll from her belt and haltingly reads it. Her sister’s wounds start to heal once more.

At that moment a ferocious reptilian shape erupts from the swamp and swats Jonathan with its tail. The scholar staggers under the powerful blow, and realises to his dismay that he is standing toe to toe with a crocodile. He retreats around the side of the island, with the animal in hot pursuit.

Ambar, still stuck in her swim / don’t swim confusion, decides that a boat works either way and steps nimbly onto the hag’s raft. She thrusts at the lantern bearing hag, and Anyariel’s sword proves equal to the creature’s magical defences. Blood pours out from the gaping wound.

“Heal me, sister,” croaks the hag. Her armoured companion shrugs. Cursing, the hag hurls herself off the boat and into the swamp, and swims off to the southwest. A couple of the party take pot shots at her, but miss.

Gribron, spotting Jonathan fleeing from a ferocious crocodile, decides the situation is well in hand and fires bolts of force at the remaining hag. The creature is stung by the blows, and jumps over the side. She tries to swim off after her sister, but unfortunately the weight of her armour is far too much for her emaciated frame. She flounders through the swamp and Gribron, Ambar and an unsteady Agatha are able to send her to a watery grave.

Caryk steps between Jonathan and the crocodile, and brings down the monster (the one with the tail) with some powerful blows from his staff.

JonathanFarrier

First Post
"The one with the tail" - hmmm. Jonathan draws out a weighty scroll and opens it revealing a long list of names. At the head of the list is a title: Candidates for Anatomical Research List no. 5. He quickly jots down another name, along with a number of suggested procedures... :]

I'm amused by the presence of a dateline at the top of each section. We really tried to make the adventures take place over the span of more than just a few months, to make the war seem more real, but you're already in the third adventure and it's barely been 3 weeks. On the other hand, the nature of the story we had in mind wouldn't really work if we gave the PCs a few weeks to train and level up twice per adventure.

One of my friends is strongly interested in finding out how the PCs react to a certain NPC they should be meeting soon.

RangerWickett said:
I'm amused by the presence of a dateline at the top of each section. We really tried to make the adventures take place over the span of more than just a few months, to make the war seem more real, but you're already in the third adventure and it's barely been 3 weeks. On the other hand, the nature of the story we had in mind wouldn't really work if we gave the PCs a few weeks to train and level up twice per adventure.

One of my friends is strongly interested in finding out how the PCs react to a certain NPC they should be meeting soon.
One of my (many) failings as a DM is I always lose track of time when running a campaign. I'm doing my best to make sure it doesn't happen this time.

It should have taken them longer to get to Seaquen. I thought the "No ticket" adventure might be fun, but an unexpected result of the way it went was that the journey took less time than it was supposed to.

Hoepfully the bazillion plot hooks in Seaquen will keep them occupied for a couple of weeks.

The party search the one hag on the island. They find a few odds and ends, and also a brass key. Solsus takes the key, thinking it might come in useful, and flies off in pursuit of the surviving hag.

Scene 4 – Witch Isle
The Sour Lake Swamp
January 25th, 8 pm

Solsus follows the route of her escape, and eventually comes to a large patch of solid ground, on which are built five huts. Two of them have decayed into nothing, and two of the others are securely padlocked, so he heads over to the third. On the way he discovers that the floor of the island is littered with humanoid bones.

The huts are not very well made, and it is a simple matter for Solsus to peer in though a crack in the wall. Inside he spots what looks to be a crude alchemists laboratory. There is a large cauldron, and shelves full of strange vials, bottles and devices. The hag is here, searching through the vials. At last she finds the bottle she is looking for, and drinks down its contents in one gulp. The worst of her wounds close up and heal.

Solsus sneaks off to investigate the other two huts. He tries his brass key in the padlock, and it fits. However, he decides not to risk entering, and peers in through a chink in the door. Inside are three sleeping pallets, and a corpse of a man is chained to the far wall. The body is covered in bite marks.

At first Solsus thinks the third hut is empty, but on closer inspection he realises that what he had taken to be a bundle of clothing is actually a figure curled up in the corner. From what he can see, it is a human female, who is chained to the wall but appears to be unharmed.

Solsus returns to the party, and finds that in his absence they have fished out the second body from the swamp. This one also has a brass key. He describes to the party what he has seen.

Gribron, Ambar and Jonathan decide to take one of the boats and accompany Solsus to the hags’ island. Haddin and Cristin, unsurprisingly, elect to stay behind. Agatha is also feeling too frail for such an expedition, and Caryk volunteers to stay behind and protect her and the others.

Once more Solsus checks out the island, while his three comrades keep a safe distance in the boat. It appears the third sister has abandoned the island whilst Solsus was away, and there is no indication as to which direction she fled in. The hut with the cauldron is now padlocked, but the sleeping hut is open.

Solsus lets himself into the third hut. The woman in the corner wakes up at his approach, and climbs to his feet. She has been gagged. Solsus turns himself visible.

“Hi, I’m here to rescue you,” he says.

“Mmmpff mmm mmpff,” comes the reply, which reminds Solsus to remove the gag before trying to strike up a conversation.

“Thank you,” says the woman. “My name is Katrina. I’m a prisoner of these three horrible women.”

“Katrina? We have a message from your brother, Rantle.”

“Rantle! Is he here?”

“No, he’s still in Gate Pass, trying to organise resistance against the Ragesians.”

Katrina looks disappointed. “That’s typical of Rantle. Always wants to be a hero.”

“We killed two of the hags, but the third escaped.”

“If I ever catch up with her, she’s dead meat,” vows Katrina.

“How is it that you came to be captured?”

They attacked us while I was sleeping. They killed my two guards, and dragged me back here. I pretended to be unconscious, and overheard their conversation. It seems they are working for the Ragesians. They are brewing potions which they deliver to Ragesian agents in Seaquen every couple of weeks. I pretended that I was also a Ragesian agent, and convinced them to keep me alive until they could check out my story. I hoped something would turn up in the meantime, and it has.

“Do you think you could unchain me?”

Solsus, cautious by nature, inspects her carefully, but decides everything about her rings true. He finds his key fits her chains, and releases her. The two of them head out of the hut. Solsus notices that his cautious comrades have brought the boat up to the edge of the island, but have not disembarked.

As Solsus and Katrina step outside the hut there is a massive flare of magic. Some of the bones on the island floor start writhing together, and start forming more or less intact skeletons. These skeletal creatures then clamber to their feet. Six of them rush towards Solsus and Katrina, whilst the rest head for the boat.

For once, Solsus has been caught flat footed, visible, and on the ground. Three skeletons reach out and slash at him with their bony claws. Katrina looks on in horror as their blows strike home, but Solsus is now firmly in touch with his fey heritage, and bony claws pose him little threat.

Three of them claw at Katrina, but she is tougher than she looks and stands bloodied but unbowed. “My spell component pouch is in the hut with the cauldron,” she says urgently.

Meanwhile, the remaining skeletons have rushed towards the boat. Only three of them are able to attack the boats occupants, but one of them slashes open Ambar’s side and blood starts to pour from the wound. Belatedly, Solsus realises that no one has through to heal the injuries Ambar suffered in the original fight with the sisters, and flies over to aid her. His healing wand removes the immediate danger.

Jonathan, his powers almost spent in the previous fight, decides to adopt the straightforward approach. He drops the crossbow he is holding, and draws the magical mace he acquired in Anyariel’s shrine. Smoothly he brings it down on the head of the nearest skeleton. Its skull shatters, and the magic animating it also crumbles under the blow.

Ambar releases two missiles of force from her fingers. These strike home unerringly, and destroy another skeleton. However, there are plenty left, and the single-minded monsters wade into the swamp in an attempt to surround their prey.

Solsus, still visible, once uses the healing power of the wand on Ambar. He attracts attacks from a number of the skeletons as he does so. The creatures seem unable to realise that their attacks are futile. Only cold iron weapons are useful against the fey.

Katrina, abandoned by Solsus, dodges past her skeletal attackers, and heads for the hut with the cauldron. To her dismay, it is padlocked, and she is now surrounded by the undead creatures.

Solsus, spotting he plight, flies back to her and opens the lock for her. He has to turn his back on the skeletons to do so, which is a nerve wracking business even though they have so far been unable to harm him. As soon as the lock is open Katrina steps inside the hut and closes the door.

It appears to be ought sight, out of mind as far as the undead are concerned, and they ignore her in order to continue raining down blows on Solsus.

On the boat, things are not going well. Bony fingers are a far cry from the steel weapons our heroes are used to being threatened with, but their strength is failing as each suffers numerous wounds. Jonathan has crushed another skeleton, but is now fighting defensively, trying to avoid any further injury whilst looking for a safe opening to attack.

Ambar leaps nimbly from the boat, and tries to lead the skeletons off into the swamp. It is partially successful – some wade after her, but the result continue to attack Gribron and Jonathan. Solsus heads back to help them – just as Gribron decides the boat is too dangerous and uses his powers to disappear, and reappear some ten feet into the swamp. He then continues to use magical missiles and rays against the skeletons, with mixed results.

Meanwhile, Ambar, her magic exhausted, is using the sword of Anyariel against the skeletons who have been pursuing her. It is not very effective against such bony opponents, and for a second she wishes she had Jonathan’s mace. However, when sufficient force is put behind the blow even a longsword can shatter bone, and she puts her mind to the task.

The heroes superior tactics slowly turn the tide of the battle, and more and more of the mindless undead are reduced to piles of bone. Solsus has taken to wielding his sling in hand to hand combat, an unorthodox approach but one which pays dividends as the lead bullets shatter enemy bones much more easily than his little scimitar would do.

Then a loud cry of “Found it” is heard from the hut. Katrina emerges with a large smile on her face, and heads for the greatest concentration of skeletons. The monsters ignore her, and continue clawing at their current targets. Katrina mutters some words of arcane power, and a sheet of flames bursts from her fingertips. Four of the skeletons are engulfed before they can react, and sizzle into nothing.

Ambar and Gribron take down the last two opponents, and the battle is won. Katrina turns out to be a shapely, red headed woman dressed completely in red. She vanishes back into the hut, and emerges with the rest of the gear the witches took off her.

A search of the hut reveals nothing of interest apart from four vials which each contain a blood red elixir. There appears to be a similar liquid in the cauldron, presumably a work in progress.

The elixir is clearly magical, but at first the party cannot identify it. At last Gribron calls to mind an obscure substance known as “Tidereaver’s Tears”. This potion allows whoever drinks it to ignore the effects of strong currents and high winds. Normally this is of very limited usefulness, and it is not clear why the Ragesians are seeking to buy it in bulk.

There is still one hag left, so the party decide it would be best to spoil the latest batch of the potion brewing in the cauldron. Gribron does so by introducing a foreign liquid into the mix, in a way which is best left to the imagination.

Katrina seems very impressed with the way our heroes dealt with the skeleton horde, and requests to accompany them to Seaquen. They are more than happy to accept; a fire mage is always a handy companion to have.

Scene 5 – Land Blockade
The Sour Lake Swamp
January 26th, 11 am

The party are once more heading through the swamp. Once again, it is raining.

Jonathan spots a hawk flying above them. It is unusual to see birds flying in such weather, and he has a sneaking feeling the creature is spying on them. On the grounds that it is better to be safe than sorry, he raises his crossbow and shoots at the bird. However, it is a tricky shot at that distance, and he misses.

“What are you doing?” asks Katrina.

“That hawk is behaving oddly. I’m wondering if it might be a spy, or a wizard’s familiar or something.” He reloads his crossbow and tries again, but his aim is no better.

“Fair enough,” says Katrina. She pulls a pinch of bat guano from her spell component pouch, and mutters the words of a spell. A glowing pea of flame appears in the air, and then heads towards the hawk. It flies several feet past the animal.

“Missed,” says Jonathan. At that moment the pea explodes into a massive ball of fire. The blackened and singed body of the hawk falls into the swamp.

Solsus gives Katrina a sour look. “I’ll fly up ahead and see if anyone does appear to be waiting for a report from that humble animal you just blasted into oblivion.”

He returns shortly afterwards. “We are almost out of the swamp. It turns into a beach a bit further along. There are four elves up ahead, and they have a boat on the sand. I think they must be Shahalesti.”

“Any of them look ill at all?” enquires Jonathan. “As if they had just suffered the loss of a familiar?”

“No, they all looked fine.”

The party approach the elves cautiously. When they are spotted, one of the elves blows a horn. The other three fade into the undergrowth. The horn blower raises his hand in greeting, and waits for the party to arrive.

“Greetings travellers,” says the elf. “We are a detachment from the Royal Shahalesti vessel Osprey. Would you mind waiting here for a moment for our lieutenant to arrive?”

The party have no objection to this, and after significantly longer than a moment three more elves appear. Two of them are wearing chain shirts, and they seem to be supporting the third, who is wearing blue robes.

The robed figure seems to be in a bad way, and coughs several times as he addresses the party.

“I am Thalan, an officer in his Royal Majesty’s navy. We have reason to believe there are Ragesian agents in Seaquen, and we are seeking to prevent any more such from entering the town.”

“Are you okay?” asks Jonathan. “You seem a little distressed. I am a healer. Perhaps I can help.”

“No thank you,” replies Thalan. “There is nothing you can do for me. May I ask your business in Seaquen?”

“We are refugees from Gate Pass,” says Jonathan. “We are fleeing the Ragesian Scourge.”

“Then you will find a welcome in Seaquen,” says Thalan, “although the town is getting very crowded. We Shahalesti are seeking a treaty with Seaquen, in order to contain Ragesian aggression. May we meet again as allies.”

With that the elves head off, and the party are free to continue on their way. Next stop, Seaquen.

Remove ads