War of the Burning Sky (updated 24th May)

Haunted said:
It truly is sad that I'm all caught up now. I'll be eagerly awaiting the next installment ;)
Glad you are enjoying it.

I'm posting it as we go along, more or less, and we can't quite manage to have a session every week. So apologies if it isn't updated as often as I'd like.

Haunted

First Post
No problem on not being able to update every week. I understand entirely.

I actually started my own players down this adventure path just a few weeks ago (they're at the abandoned village in the Indomitable Fire Forest as of this past Saturday). Its great fun to see how another group has handled the options presented.

Scene 11 – Warehouse

Once they are all outside, the lad leads them to a warehouse in the merchant district. It is dark, and raining, but Solsus can just make out the name above the entrance – “Auyamg Family Warehouse”.

The entrance itself is a large set of double doors, which are closed securely against the night. However, inset in one of the doors is a smaller door, which is suspiciously ajar. Solsus peers inside, but the interior is unlit and he can’t see very far.

“Seems normal enough,” he whispers. “Crates and boxes, mainly. No sign of any people.”

Ambar heads around the side of the warehouse to see if there are any other entrances. Solsus, Agatha and Gribron head inside. Gribron pulls out a magical torch which illuminates the entrance, but the rear of the warehouse remains in darkness. Jonathan waits outside with the boy, his crossbow loaded in case of treachery.

Solsus call briefly upon the power of nature, and a stone in his hand glows with light. He hurls it down the far end of the warehouse. There are more crates and boxes, but the warehouse is far from full. Trade has no doubt been suffering due to the war and the blockade. However, the light also reveals a shadowy figure stood at the far end.

“Welcome,” says it says in a melodious voice. “I believe you owe me some money.”

It is Jess. Quickly, Jonathan raises his crossbow and fires … at the boy. He can’t miss at this short range, and the lad collapses with a crossbow bolt in his throat.

“What was that?” says Gribron, alarmed.

“Nothing to worry about,” says Jonathan, wheezing slightly as he drags the corpse into the warehouse and deposits it in a corner.

“Jonathan Farrier,” says Jess. “You owe me two thousand gold pieces. The book was a fake.”

“I spent a lot of time on that fake,” replies Jonathan. “In fact, when you add up the labour involved, you probably owe me money. Also, we’d like our case back, please.”

While this conversation is going on, the party have advanced towards Jess. Solsus is in the air, trying to keep various beams and support structures between Jess and himself. He’s not entirely convinced she can’t see through his invisibility. Agatha has climbed one of the side walls and is watching Jess intently.

Suddenly, Jess’s form shimmers. Wings sprout from her shoulders, horns grow out of her scalp and a gleaming sword appears in her hand. With a snarl of rage, she hurls herself towards Jonathan, using her wings to help her leap over the various crates in her way. She moves with frightening speed, and before Jonathan can react she slashes him with her sword.

Crying out in pain, he backs off away slightly, and calls upon the power of dreams. He creates a scarf like mass of ectoplasm, and hurls it with his mind at Jess. It strikes home, and covers her in the sticky goo.

He also recognises her real form. “She’s an erinyes!” he yells.

“Must be a type of devil,” thinks Solsus. He hurls a sling bullet at her. In her current state she finds it difficult to get out of the way, and the bullet strikes her in the forehead – only to bounce off harmlessly. Most types of devil are resistant to mundane weapons.

“Let’s see how you cope with this,” says Agatha, and fires a blast of eldritch energy at the devil. It strikes home, and Jess snarls in pain. She seems to be somewhat resistant to Agatha’s blasts as well.

Gribron casts a spell, and nothing obvious happens.

Jess steps forward and swings twice at Jonathan. She is hampered by the goo, and both her attacks go wide. Jonathan retaliates by blasting her with electricity. The devil has a supernatural resistance to magic of all types, but Jonathan manages to penetrate her defences.

Solsus flies back to Jonathan and uses the healing wand.

“You’re next Solsus,” says Jess, looking straight at the invisible pixie. Then she is rocked by another blast from Agatha.

Gribron fires off a black ray at Jess. It strikes home unerringly, with much greater than usual accuracy thanks to Gribron’s previous spell of true striking. Jess stumbles, and cold seems to seep into her muscles, robbing her of some of her usual grace of movement.

Once again she is distracted by the effect, and misses Jonathan with her sword. He takes careful aim and blasts her once more with electricity. This time it strikes her in the head, and she takes considerable damage. However, she is tough and determined, and fights on.

Gribron fires a ball of fire at Jess. As a devil, she is immune to the fire effect, but at the heart of the ball is a rock which should do some damage. Unfortunately, as the others have realised, she is resistant to mundane weapons and the rock also fails to hurt her. Cursing, he starts to summon a celestial creature to aid in the fight against the devil.

Jess finally frees herself from the goo, strikes at Jonathan again. This time manages to wound him. However, she leaves herself open to his counter, and yet again his blast strikes true and defeats her spell resistance. Jess staggers backwards, and then collapses.

Gribron’s celestial dog appears, wanders over to her corpse and sniffs at it.

Agatha comes down from the wall, and joins the others at Jess’s body. Gribron concentrates, and identifies that Jess’s sword and her large hair clip are magical. Curious, he pulls the clip from her hair, and is somewhat surprised when it turns into a hat in his hand. With the “hat” removed, a collar appears around Jess’s throat, inscribed with the familiar G motif.

“Someone has a lot of devils to call on,” says Jonathan. “I wonder why she didn’t teleport away when she started losing the fight. There’s more to this town than meets the eye.”

The party head for the Lyceum, and arrange an urgent interview with Simeon in the morning. He needs to know of Jess’s reappearance, and the murder of the boy (although not the name of the murderer). As it happens, Simeon was going to contact the heroes anyway – the council meeting is scheduled for the afternoon, and he’d like them to attend.
Act Three - Lyceum
January 31st, 2 pm

The council is meeting in the Aurad Tower. Once again, it is raining, but students have been stationed at the tower entrance and they use magic to dry off the guests.

Our heroes are among the first to arrive, and while they wait they pick up a few rumours about the progress of the war.

As they heard from Ambar, Gabal and his wizards attacked the Ragesian second army camp at Gate Pass once the inquisitors had been lured into the city. Ragesian losses are reported at nearly two thousand. Unfortunately for Gabal, one of the inquisitors made it back out of the city and dispelled his magical protection from fire. A mighty fire-breathing dragon had accompanied the Ragesian army, and incinerated the mage.

The party remember the wave of fear which washed over them after leaving the Inn in Gate Pass on New Year’s Day and several of them cannot suppress a shudder. However, they seem to remember someone telling them that a local druid eventually managed to slay the dragon.

Encouraged by Gabal’s death, the Ragesians counter-attacked, and are now in possession of the City’s westernmost First District. However, the Shahalesti are aiding the city by providing supplies from the east.

The Ragesian first army is still in Sindaire. It is believed they are hoping to link up with a Ragesian fleet which is en route to the Sindaire capital, but whether the fleet will be used to withdraw the troops, or simply re-supply them, is anybody’s guess.

The third army is massing on Dassen’s northern border. They may be intending a full scale invasion of Dassen, or possibly will simply cut through Dassen on their way to the Fire Forest. The fact the Fire Forest is mysteriously no longer burning means it provides another route from which to attack Gate Pass.

The fourth army is attacking northern Shahalesti.

It is not clear what Leska is attempting to achieve by this strategy. She has split her forces, and is occupying vast swathes of territory which she cannot hope to hold. There is no word as to the fate of the hundreds of mages captured by the Scourge.

Once all the guests have arrived, Simeon calls the meeting to order. He has made no concessions to the occasion, and is still dressed in his usual vets and pants. He doesn’t look much like a mage, let alone a leader of mages.

He introduces all the guests. The party have met many of them before. As well as Simeon, his Dwarven associate Kiernan Stekart is here. Somewhat surprisingly, the fire mage, Katrina, is also present and smiles at the party. They have also met Lee Sidoneth, the water-loving druid, and Xavious Foebane, the dwarf leader who handily defeated Jonathan at the game of conquest. Also, Laurabec Adelsburg, the holy warrior is here; however, she is not accompanied by the giant eagle, Takasi.

The ones they don’t know are Lorb Votberd, a dwarf magistrate, a flamboyant wayfarer called Giorgio, and ambassadors from Ostalin, Sindaire and Dassen. (Although technically Keifer Numhaut, the Dasseni, is an envoy, not an ambassador, since Seaquen is nominally still part of Dassen.)

Simeon starts the proceedings with a speech about the need for everyone to pull together and fight the Ragesians. “In conclusion,” he says, “our goal is to stop the Scourge, to drive back the armies of the Ragesian Empire, to dethrone Leska, and to ensure our families and homelands are safe. Now I hope you all have some idea how to do that. My ears are open.”

He then invites each of the guests to speak in turn.

First up is the Dwarven magistrate, Votberd. He uses the occasion to bring up a long list of grievances against the refugees, who he accuses of bringing crime and chaos to Seaquen. He is also convinced that there are Ragesian agents among the refugees. His plan is to systematically bring in every refugee for questioning, and lock up those who appear in any way suspicious.

Jonathan is incensed by this, and acts to speak next. “As a healer,” he says, “I have first hand experience of the horrors of plague. Disease is already spreading in the refugee camps, and the town itself is at risk. Our priority should be to improve conditions for the refugees, not treat them like criminals. Only when the town itself is safe from plague will we be in a position to make plans to fight a war.”

Laurabec speaks next, and agrees with the points Jonathan has made. Her speech is very, very long winded and her audience, particularly Votberd, grows more and more irritable.

Next up is Lee, the druid. He is looking as relaxed as ever, and gives a brief rundown of the naval situation. The north harbour is full, so ships are now docking in the south harbour. His plan is to wait and build up Seaquen’s strength, rather than engage in rash action.

Gribron speaks next. “I take it from what you’ve said, Lee, that we have no navy to speak of, just a few fishing boats and refugee ships. I suggest that we build ships of war, so that we can defend ourselves from an attack from the sea.”

The dwarf commander, Xavious Foebane, is keen to forge alliances with all the other nations. He also has a theory about the strange activities of Leska’s forces – they are looking for something, presumably the Torch of the Burning Sky. Xavious explains that the torch allows armies to be transported instantly to anywhere in the continent of Sarlonna; it would be a great blow to the war effort if Leska found it but a great victory for Seaquen if they could find it first.

Xavious considers that, heavily outnumbered as they are, Seaquen’s best hope is to form mobile teams of experts to carry out strategic missions. He has just such a force in mind – the elite knights of Dassen. Unfortunately, Seaquen would need to persuade King Steppengard to lend them.

Katrina speaks next. “I’m sure these knights of Dassen are fine fellows, but we have all the heroes we need in this very room.” She points out our heroes. “These brave souls rescued me from the witches in the swamp, and have faced down two devils sent by Ragesia to defeat them.”

“Three devils,” mutters Jonathan. “An imp still counts as a devil.”

“I have been in contact with my brother Rantle,” adds Katrina. “He has become a key figure in the Gate Pass resistance, and he too speaks highly of these heroes. You could do a lot worse than entrust your missions to them.”

Next to speak is the wayfarer, Giorgio. He ahs little to offer the council, but states that the wayfarers might be persuaded to set aside their traditional position of neutrality. He invites everyone present to tomorrow night’s premiere of their performance of “The Spectacular Trial of Toteth Topec”. He emphasises how important it is for Seaquen’s morale that everyone makes a show of unity and attends.

He moves around the room handing out tickets. He seems somewhat surprised when he reaches Jonathan.

“You seem somewhat familiar. Have we met, sir?” he says.

“That’s not likely,” says Jonathan, who doesn’t recognise Giorgio.

The envoy from Dassen speaks next. He states that King Steppengard is displeased that Seaquen’s offer of sanctuary has let to so many refugees flooding through Dassen. He also feels it is this which has made Dassen a potential target for Ragesia. It is the king’s policy to seek a non-aggression treaty with the Empire.

Ambassador Snord, from Sindaire, is more supportive of Seaquen’s cause, but explains that with the Ragesian first army already in their country his people are reluctant to openly oppose Leska. What his people need is a sign that the Ragesians can be beaten.

“So basically, you’ll join us once we are winning,” says Gribron sarcastically.

The ambassador ignores his heckler. “As for the Torch of the Burning Sky, presumably that’s with the dead emperor. He died at a place in Sindaire called Castle Korstull. A storm of fire has rained down from the sky ever since, killing everything it touches. Nothing could have survived the firestorm to take the torch – and I don’t see how you could manage to retrieve it either.”

Finally, ambassador Lonam is the last to speak. She says, self-importantly, “Khagan Onamdammin, our ruler, deeply regrets that his neighbours might be endangered by the Ragesian army, but is willing to lend his elite, fierce armies if his neighbours are reasonable. Ragesia intends to conquer your entire nation. Would it not be reasonable to trade us one third of your land, so that you may keep the rest from the greedy, cruel Ragesians?”

This does not go down well, to put it mildly. Everybody starts yelling at once. Amidst the confusion, the door opens and a human mage rushes into the room. Kiernan, the Dwarven abjurer, quickly casts a spell and the luckless mage is hurled backwards out of the room. This has the effect of quieting the assembly.

“Kiernan,” says Simeon carefully, “that was Johund you just attacked.”

“Better safe than sorry,” replies Kiernan.

The luckless Johund climbs back to his feet, and enters the room in a somewhat more circumspect fashion. “Elves! A group of elves have flown over the wall and are headed this way. They fly the flag of Shahalesti.”

At this point, the elves arrive. There are seven of them, and their leader is a female elf in expensive sliver armour.

“Declare yourself,” snaps Simeon.

“I apologise for this intrusion,” replies the elf smoothly. “I am Shalosha, daughter of Shining Lord Shaaladel of Shahalesti. I bring you word from my father.”

“Very well,” says Simeon. “You may address the council.”

Shalosha reaches into her pouch and pulls out her prepared speech. She seems to be uncomfortable reading some of the phrases; it is clear this is not a speech she herself has written.

“I come with an offer of safety and salvation for your city, and those who shelter here. As you know, Shahalesti is the shining jewel of civilization, and now we are attacked by the armies of Ragesia. For every loss we suffer, the progress of all nations suffers. We are the only power strong enough to drive back the fires of Ragesia, but even for our greatness, victory is not assured.

“My father, Lord Shaaladel, knows that some of the nations whose ambassadors stand in this very hall would like to see Shahalesti fall, for they don’t realize that in so doing they are wishing for their own doom. Even the most trustworthy here can admit that it is difficult to have faith in the leaders of other nations when the most they can do is send a few diplomats to the banner of Seaquen.

“Shahalesti sends a fleet. Seventeen of our ships sail now to this peninsula, surrounding it from all directions to protect it from hostilities. By this we show our devotion to the fight, and – so my father believes – we prove that it is our nation who should lead that fight.”

“You’ll have to dock in the south harbour,” mutters Gribron.

The beautiful elven princess ignores the interruption and continues with her prepared speech. “We invite you to join with us in the war against Ragesia. Many potential allies have found their way to your city, and so we have come here to meet them. However, we will not risk betrayal on any scale, nor would it be wise for you to risk it. So we ask that you hand over control of Seaquen to the Shahalesti fleet, so that we may begin checking the purity of your allies’ spirit. Admiral Telshanth will serve as provisional governor of Seaquen ..”

At this point, the envoy from Dassen begins yelling about how his country will never hand over its territory to a bunch of elven cut-throats, and the rest of her speech is drowned out. Simeon manages to get the Dasseni calmed down.

Gribron is not impressed with the speech. “You speak of alliances, but what you are proposing is conquest, the same as the Ragesians. You cannot defeat the Ragesians on your own. You need our help, and the sooner you realise it the better you’ll fare.”

Shalosha turns to him. “I appreciate the wisdom in your words. However, my father is adamant. Unless you agree to my father’s terms the fleet will blockade the town. I will speak to my father and try and arrange a compromise, but it will take time.”

The elves leave, and Simeon declares the meeting is over. However, he asks the party to remain behind as he has something further to discuss with them.

“We are proposing sending a diplomatic mission to King Steppengard of Dassen,” he says once everyone else has left. “The support of Dassen is crucial to our undertakings, and there is a very real possibility that they will sign a non-aggression pact with Ragesia. Not that it will do them much good in the long run.

“Do any of you have any diplomatic skills?”

The party shake their heads. Diplomacy is not their strong point. “No matter,” says Simeon. “I have someone in mind I can send as an envoy. The court of King Steppengard is a hotbed of intrigue at the best of times, and these are far from the best of times. What I would like is for you to accompany our envoy, and protect him form those who would do him harm. Are you agreeable?”

The party accept, and agree to accompany the envoy to Dassen. The expedition is not due to set out for a week or so, they can still go to the theatre.
Act Four – The Storm
February 1st, 7pm

The play takes place on the Wayfarer’s ship. The crew have finished repairing the damage from the ship’s last, disastrous teleport attempt. The wayfarers have laid on a ferry service, and Guildmistress Larkins greets all the guests personally. A burly man holds an umbrella to keep the inevitable rain off the Guildmistress.

She too seems to recognise Jonathan from somewhere, but he has never met her. The rest of the party, however, spot a distinct family resemblance between Jonathan and the Guildmistress.

“Welcome aboard ladies and gentlemen,” says the Guildmistress. She turns to Jonathan and says, “Forgive me sir, but you remind me a lot of my son. Of course, he’d be a lot older than you.”

“Really,” says Jonathan. “Where is he now?”

“He died, tragically, in a fire.”

“I’m sorry to hear that,” replies Jonathan, and the party head below decks to the theatre level. Surprisingly, the theatre is at least four times the size it should be; clearly the wayfarers have taken advantage of some sort of magical extra-dimensional space. Their seats are at the back, as befits their lowly status, and they can hear the wind through the hatch of the main deck.

“The wind seems to be picking up,” says Gribron. “I think a storm is brewing. Hopefully it will blow away this incessant rain.”

The lights dim, and music appears to come from nowhere. The curtain slowly rises and a man strides onto the stage. It is the wayfarer, Giorgio, in the costume of the tile character, the mage, Toteth Topec. He stares around him suspiciously.

“He’s got a very suspicious look on his face,” whispers Ambar. “He’s clearly up to something.”

“Hush,” says Jonathan. “He’s playing a part. He’s acting.”

A massive serpent leaps down from the ceiling. Toteth barely manages to dive out of reach of its snapping teeth. Toteth then somersaults back to his feat – Giorgio is clearly an accomplished acrobat – and grabs the serpent’s tail. He clambers onto its back as it whips around the stage, and cracks it in the teeth with his staff. The serpent vanishes, and Toteth falls twenty feet to the stage, landing nimbly on his feet.

The audience cheer and applaud. So begins “The Spectacular Trial of Toteth Topec.”

Act one shows Toteth seeking out great magic, pursued by the serpent, now revealed as a dragon, as he goes.

His journeys carry him to many foreign lands where he fights strange beasts, all the while pursued in the shadow by the dragon. He befriends three mages along the way, each helping him at a different leg of his journey with their control over flames, winds, and sea, but ultimately Toteth travels alone in a great desert, under the searing sun. Demons assault him, heat drives him mad, and he sees a vision of the Stormchaser Eagle (one of the four elemental spirits of Gate Pass) crashing to the earth before him. Toteth passes out, and the dragon hovers over him. But before it can strike, a beautiful, dark-skinned woman in green robes finds Toteth, falls across his body, and prays for help. Light beams from the heavens, and the dragon flees again to the shadows. As the stage fades to darkness, the woman carries Toteth to her home, and a deep percussive thrum shakes the theater, like the beating of a massive heart.

Toteth wakes in fits, light and dark represent many passing months as the woman tends to him. As he heals a romance forms between them, and the healing montage ends with a flamboyant love song and mock battle between Toteth and his love’s in-laws so he can marry her. The battle is interrupted at the funniest moment by a tremor, and people in the audience actually cringe in fear as the stage seems to crack and intense winds blow out of the deep. Toteth realizes the world is still in danger, and he recalls the vision he had of the Eagle. He sets out to find a way to save the woman he loves, leaving her behind, not realizing she is pregnant.

Another montage shows his incredible journey, as he faces riddling fairies, battles giant spiders, and braves a cursed pyre filled with evil spirits to find a gem that can seal the world. Interspersed during the odyssey are images of his love, growing slowly more pregnant, until finally she gives birth. When she does, she is visited by the other three mages who aided Toteth in Act One, and they bless the child, swearing to go join the geomancer’s quest so he can come home soon.

They travel through the aftermath of the various monsters and challenges Toteth has defeated, the ease of their journey a humorous counterpoint to the geomancers. But then they find him, and see him standing atop a shining peak, fighting the dragon of bright shadows. Toteth holds the gem high, trying to capture the dragon’s soul so he can take its power to heal the world, but the dragon is stronger. It bites him in half and the stage goes dark, the only thing visible is the gem, which falls and shatters.

There is an intermission, during which Katrina begins to spoil the rest of the plot. She also declares that the three play is full of obvious allusions to the current political situation. The dragon is Ragesia, the air mage is Ostalin, the fire mage is Dassen and the water mage is Shahalesti. Toteth is Sindaire and his love is Seaquen.

The party settle back down into their seats in time to spot Giorgio – free of the play because Toteth is now dead, heading up onto deck. Once again he has a suspicious look on his face.

“He’s not acting now, is he?” says Ambar.

“No, he’s not,” replies Jonathan.

“Then let’s follow him and see what he’s up to.”

Sheyd

First Post
Definately this is one story hour I've enjoyed reading and look forward to more of it. I have a few of the Burning Sky modules but I haven't run them yet. This makes me want to start using them now but I have to wait. Reading this story hour also makes me think of starting one of my own...

Pixies... dangerous little things... Pixies living in human cities... MORE dangerous... a DM whom I play with now and again had a group of them take to hauling relatively small grindstones up into the bowels of trees and dropping them on the unsuspecting... A VERY effective weapon! He calls it a 'Grindstone baptism'! :)

Sheyd said:
Definately this is one story hour I've enjoyed reading and look forward to more of it. I have a few of the Burning Sky modules but I haven't run them yet. This makes me want to start using them now but I have to wait. Reading this story hour also makes me think of starting one of my own...

Pixies... dangerous little things... Pixies living in human cities... MORE dangerous... a DM whom I play with now and again had a group of them take to hauling relatively small grindstones up into the bowels of trees and dropping them on the unsuspecting... A VERY effective weapon! He calls it a 'Grindstone baptism'! :)
I'm glad you are enjoying it.

Do you have the Monastery of Two Winds? There's an encounter pretty much at the start of that which spells bad news for pixies. I really don't know how I'm going to play it yet.

Sheyd

First Post
I believe I do have that one... I don't remember much about it at the moment but I'll find it and read through it.. Needless to say I won't post anything that'd give away vital information about it to your players who as proven read this thread. :)

amethal said:
I'm glad you are enjoying it.

Do you have the Monastery of Two Winds? There's an encounter pretty much at the start of that which spells bad news for pixies. I really don't know how I'm going to play it yet.

Heh, I hadn't thought about that being a problem for PCs. Well, as long as he stays invisible he should be okay, but I think it might be more fun if he didn't. *grin*

I eagerly await the next installment.

Out on deck, it becomes clear that the wind is definitely picking up.

A pair of orcs axe-wielding orcs are now stood on the deck. One of them wears a wizard’s robe, but looks particularly unintelligent. The other is clad in plate mail. Our heroes remember that they mete the same two orcs at the home of Lee the druid; the orcs and Paradigm Dogwood, the biomancer, had been leaving as they arrived.

Strangely, there are now four barrels on deck – everyone is pretty sure they weren’t there earlier.

At first there is no sign of Giorgio, then he emerges from the captain’s cabin. Suspicious behaviour indeed.

“What were you doing in the captain’s cabin?” asks Jonathan.

“Nothing that need concern you,” replies Giorgio. “I have various duties to take care of.”

Gribron decides to head back below decks and check with the Guildmistress (who is also the captain) as to whether Giorgio is allowed to enter her cabin. Much to his surprise, the hatch won’t open – even though the party just came up that way. There’s no obvious locking mechanism; it must be magic of some kind.

The orcs and Giorgio all seem quite nervous, and it is rubbing off on the party.

Jonathan concentrates and a translucent scarf appears and wraps itself around him. Gribron and Ambar mutter defensive spells which have no visible manifestation. Solsus takes to the air, and Agatha sidles off to one side.

A low-pitched humming noise starts to come from the captain’s cabin. It is growing in intensity. “So, how do you like our play so far?” asks Giorgio in a loud voice.

Jonathan remembers that the Wayfarer’s Theatre is able to teleport itself. Doing so is a bad idea given the “Burning Sky” effect which is currently causing extreme fire damage to those who travel any distance by such means. Also, the majority of the town’s dignitaries are below decks watching the play. Presumably the controls are in the captain’s cabin, which Giorgio has just come out of ….

Gribron and Jonathan exchange glances, and Jonathan gives a slight nod.

This is all the encouragement Gribron needs. He rises twenty feet up from the deck and unleashes a bolt of searing flame at Giorgio. It strikes home, but the Wayfarer is not even so much as singed. He obviously has some kind of magical protection. The flame does illuminate the metal armour under Giorgio’s costume – it appears he has more than one kind of protection.

In passing, Gribron notices from his elevated position that there is now a rowboat tied up alongside the ship. It appears to have some occupants, who are either dead or sleeping.

Ambar leaps forward, drawing the sword of Anyariel as she does so. She slashes at the orc “wizard”. He is unarmoured, and does not seem to have troubled to cast any defensive magic – if indeed he is able to do so – and her blow strikes home. However, the ship is rocking in the storm and the uncertain footing robs her blow of some of its force. The orc snarls, and reaches for a scroll tucked in its belt.

Solsus creates a ball of flame in the palm of his hand, and hurls it at the orc. He takes the blow without flinching, and it appears he too is protected from fire. Solsus bites back a curse – profanity is a poor response to such a serious situation – but he is very unhappy. The ability to create such fire is his major offensive ability, and if two of his opponents are immune to its effects it seems likely the third will also be protected.

Jonathan judges that the armoured orc is likely to be the weakest in will power, and unleashes powerful blast of mental energy at it. The orc reels under the assault, but remains standing. Jonathan considers taking cover behind a nearby barrel, but he is somewhat suspicious of their recent appearance. However, he does not trouble to move away from the one he is adjacent to.

Agatha views Giorgio as the primary threat, and unleashes a blast of eldritch energy at him. It strikes home, and his face contorts in pain. However, he seems to be a resilient character, and he nimbly climbs up the mast into the rigging. From this vantage point he utters a loud, ringing noise.

“That’s a spell of shattering,” thinks Jonathan. “What’s the point of that? Unless …” At that moment, the barrel next to him explodes in rain of fire and splinters. Fortunately for Jonathan, his translucent scarf blocks the splinters, and his belated realisation enables him to dodge the worst of the flames. Whatever is packed into those barrels, it clearly responds badly to being shattered.

The orc “wizard” finishes extracting the scroll from his belt, and reads it aloud in a halting fashion. He is surrounded in magical energy, and for a moment it seems as if he is going to suffer a backlash, but he finally manages to get the spell off. Immediately he and his two allies start moving more quickly, energised by the magic of the spell.

Moving swiftly forward, the orc warrior swings at Ambar with his battleaxe. The blow connects, and the catfolk reels backwards.

Jonathan fancies he can hear chanting, as if another spell was being cast, but glancing around he can’t see anybody else. Shrugging, he launches another mental attack on the orc warrior but surprisingly the orc manages to resist this time.

Gribron, twenty fete up in the air, looks across at Giorgio in the rigging. “So, you think you have an advantage up there do you? See how you like this!” The rigging is now coated with a thick, greasy goo. Giorgio tries to hold on, but loses his grip on the now slick surface and falls to the deck. However, his acrobatic prowess has already been demonstrated during the first two acts of the play, and he lands nimbly on his feet.

Agatha takes a pot shot at him as he falls, but misses.

Solsus flies down behind Ambar, and uses his healing wand to repair her wound.

Giorgio appears to have taken umbrage at Agatha’s repeated attempts to blast him. He responds by aiming a cacophonic burst of sound at him. Agatha falls to her knees in pain, her hands over her ears.

The orc “wizard” chants another spell, and tries to touch his comrade. Its easier said than done, given that the orc is in melee with Ambar, but he manages it. Instantly, the orc’s muscles bulge and he seems to grow in strength. Encouraged by his new power, the orc warrior launches a mighty swing at Ambar, sacrificing precision for power. However, she anticipates it and sways out of the way.

However, at that moment a halfling appears from hiding, and scampers across the deck towards her. (“That must be the spellcaster I heard,” thinks Jonathan, wise after the event.) Ambar does not see him coming, and his shortsword is thrust with supernatural accuracy into her kidneys. With a grunt of surprise, Ambar collapses senseless to the deck.

Gribron view the orc fighter’s magically enhanced muscles with some consternation, and lets fly a ray of black energy. It strikes the orc squarely in the chest, and his muscles deflate. Solsus tries to use the healing wand on Ambar, but it cannot overcome the severity of her wound and she remains unconscious.

Agatha staggers back to her feet, having managed to overcome the effects of the burst of sound – at which point Giorgio hits her with another one. Once again all thoughts of attack vanish as she tries to cover her ears against the sound.

Jonathan lashes out with a storm of crystal shards. The two orcs and the halfling all take damage.

The orc “wizard” casts another spell, and a sheet of flame springs out from his fingertips. It is aimed at Jonathan, but by pure fluke it also hits the invisible Solsus. Jonathan is distracted by the flames, and the orc warrior swings his battleaxe at the open target. The blow should have decapitated Jonathan, but the healer is able to use his prodigious mental strength to create an impromptu shield of protection.

The orc howls in rage as his blow suddenly passes through quicksand and loses much of his force. However, it turns to a howl of triumph as Jonathan nevertheless falls to the ground clutching a grievous wound in his neck.

As Jonathan is about to pass out for the pain Solsus quickly touches him with the healing wand and keeps him conscious. With the last vestiges of his mental powers, Jonathan manifests another shard of crystals, again injuring both orcs and the halfling.

Gribron moves forward and engulfs the orcs in a stream of bright lights. The “wizard”, possibly being more experienced in this area, manages to shut his eyes in time, but his comrade is blinded by the light.

Agatha manages to throw off the effects of the sound burst, and appears Giorgio has exhausted his ability to cats that particular spell. Instead he takes a leaf from Gribron’s book, and a layer of grease appears below her. Her feet fall out from underneath, and she lands on the ground. Fortunately, her ability to manifest eldritch energy works equally well from a prone position, and a blast flies out from her hand and strikes the orc wizard squarely in his back. With a grunt of surprise, he collapses to the ground dead.

Jonathan calls upon the power of his magical belt, and some of his wounds are healed. He clambers to his feet, only to be stabbed by the halfling. Fortunately for him, his vitals are protected by the translucent scarf, and as a result the halfling cannot do any meaningful damage with his little shortsword.

With one orc dying and the other blinded, and having taken a fair amount of damage himself, the halfling then leaps over the side of the ship. Gribron note that although the halfling is close to the rowboat he chooses not to land in it. Instead, he falls into the harbour and sinks without trace.

Agatha finishes off the orc fighter with another blast, and Giorgio is left without allies. “Curse you all,” he says. “This is not over!” He disappears, only to re-appear five hundred feet away on a ferry moored in the harbour. There is a puff of flame as the Burning Sky takes effect on him, but his fire protection saves him from damage. With a rude gesture toward our heroes, he pulls out a potion from his belt pouch and drinks it. His wounds heal slightly, and then he jumps over the side of the ferry into the murky waters of the harbour.

Solsus agrees with Giorgio that the conflict is not yet over, and flies towards the ferry. The winds have become very strong, but for some reason Solsus is able to fly through them with ease.

Meanwhile, Jonathan pours a healing potion down Ambar’s throat and the other search the bodies. The two orcs each have a potion of some sort, and an empty potion bottle. Jonathan identifies the potions as granting the ability to breathe under water; it also appears the empty bottles previously contained a similar potion.

Gribron begins to strip the bodies whilst Jonathan heads for the captain’s cabin. It is dominated by a large table, which contains a map of Sarlonna and a number of buttons. As far as Jonathan can tell, the ship is set to teleport to the north eastern coast of Shahalesti, a distance of many hundreds of miles.

The humming is becoming increasingly loud, but Jonathan is eventually able to figure out the sequence of the buttons and cancel the imminent teleportation of the ship. He also locates the button which turns off the ward on the hatch to the theatre.

Solsus uses the power of his fey heritage to transform himself into an impressively sized dogfish, and dives down into the harbour in search of Giorgio. He methodically searches the area around his last sighting of the wayfarer, and his persistence pays off – he spots Giorgio walking along the bottom. His costume is billowing in the water, and it is clear he is wearing a chain shirt underneath it which is weighing him down nicely.

The pixie is not aware that the others have discovered potions of water breathing on the ship, but it is obvious that Giorgio must be using some form of magic to allow him to breathe on the harbour floor. Once more Solsus calls upon fey magic, and dispels Giorgio’s ability to breathe water.

Instead of providing life giving oxygen, the wayfarer’s next breath pours water in his lungs. Coughing and spluttering, he swims up frantically, weighed down by his metal armour. With a supreme effort, his face breaks the surface of the water, and he gulps down a lungful of air.

Solsus, however, has not finished with him. The various clumps of seaweed floating in the harbour suddenly come alive, and grapes hold of Giorgio’s limbs. Now that unable to swim, the weight of Giorgio’s armour carries him back down to the sea bed. His struggles grow increasingly weak as he heads for a watery grave …..

While this is happening, back on the Wayfarer’s Theatre Gribron has opened the hatch to the deck below. He is faced by Guildmistress Larkins, who seems somewhat distressed. “What is going on?” she demands. “Who activated the wards on the hatches?”

Jonathan emerges from her cabin, and explains the situation. Simeon, the head of the Lyceum, comes up as he does so.

Gribron investigates the rowboat attached to the ship. Its occupants appear to be elves, dressed as Shahalesti sailors, who have died by fire. However, his keen eyes soon detect that they are in fact humans who have been altered to look like elves – presumably by the biomancy practised by Paradigm Dogwood.

“I think we were intended to blame the Shahalesti for blowing up the ship,” sys Gribron. “We saw the biomancer Dogwood at Lee’s as well as the orcs. I think we should pay Lee a visit.”

“It sounds like you and your comrades have performed very well,” says Simeon. “If those orcs and the biomancer were seen associating with Lee, then it would appear Lee has some questions to answer. I suggest we drop by his home before this storm becomes unendurable.”

The short trip to Lee’s little island proves something of a strain for Simeon, as he is battered by the growing strength of the storm. However, our heroes appear impervious to the effect of the winds. Jonathan speculates that this might be a side effect of the boon they received from killing Indomitability, the spirit of the Fire Forest. In any event, it’s a welcome development – but Solsus is becoming more and more convinced the storm is not a natural phenomenon.

Lee’s home is deserted, and its sparse accommodations seem too frugal even for the famously ascetic Lee. The druid has left home. “Let’s head for the Lyceum,” says Simeon. “I have various items of equipment there which will enable me to quickly track down our wayward harbour master.”

Simeon, headmaster of the Lyceum, is a powerful diviner. Divination is far from being the most high profile of the various wizardly disciplines, but used correctly it can produce extremely useful results.

“I’m having no results at all!” says Simeon in disgust. “That’s not possible. How can Lee be protected by such powerful magic?”

Jonathan pulls together in his mind various events which have occurred during the party’s stay in Seaquen, and comes up with a theory. “Something appears to be happening in the Fire Tomb which has stirred up the rats. Could Lee be hiding there?”

“Of course!” says Simeon. “The legendary Fire Tomb is supposedly protected by numerous wards against scrying. That’s one reason why no one has ever found it. However, there’s no way I can send out people to look for it in mundane fashion with this storm going on.”

“Its clearly not a natural storm,” says Solsus. “However, we seem to be immune to its effects. If you recall, we came across some witches in the swamp who were brewing potions which protected against high winds. I imagine the Ragesian agents are also immune to the storm.”

“Not a natural storm, you say,” says Simeon thoughtfully. “I wonder if I can identify where it is emanating from. Please excuse me while I test out my theory; in the meantime I will have the college healers tend to your wounds.”

Simeon disappears into his study, and returns some time later. “This storm has an eye,” he says. “It is centred over an area of the East coast. I don’t suppose you know this, but the East coast was the site of the original town of Seaquen. It became unstable following an earthquake several hundred years ago, and the town moved further west to its current site.

“Since you guys seem to be resistant to the high winds, would you be willing to check out the eye of the storm and see if you can find and stop what is causing it? If the storm continues to rise in intensity it will blow away the entire town.”

Act 5 - The Fire Tomb
Scene 1 – The Sunken Prison

Some time later, our heroes find themselves amongst the sunken ruins of eastern Seaquen. The eye of the storm is above a courtyard to the extreme east, littered with statues of gargoyles. It gradually dawns on the party that this “courtyard” is actually the roof of the building, which from the inscriptions appears to have once been a prison of some kind.

The party cautiously move onto the roof, then head down an external staircase to “ground” level. The staircase emerges on the edge of the sea, and it is likely that the prison is severely flooded. However, there is a door into the side of the building.

Once inside, they encounter a large room with several exits. The water is waist deep, and the party proceed warily. However, only Gribron spots the approach of a pair of turtle-like creatures beneath the water. One of them is heading for Jonathan, the other is heading for him. Quick as a flash, Gribron vanishes and re-appears at the far end of the party.

A creature lunges at his disappearing form, then snaps at Jonathan in its disappointment. Fortunately, the disappearance of its preferred foe puts it off, and its jaws miss the healer. Unfortunately, the other monster clamps its jaws on Jonathan and tries to drag him off to its lair.

Jonathan digs in his heels and resists being dragged, then retaliates with a mental blast which staggers his adversary but does not cause it to release its grip.

Solsus, seeing Jonathan’s plight, creates a flame in his hand and hurls it the part of Jonathan’s captor which appears above the surface. The ball of flame strikes true, but the creature shrugs off the effect. It appears to be resistant to fire. Solsus successfully bites back another curse, but can’t help feeling very hard done by. Humans, orcs, turtles, is there nothing vulnerable to fire?

Gribron casts a spell, and a wave of nausea flows over one of the creatures. It suddenly feels very ill and turns tail. The monster squirts ink at Ambar, narrowly missing her eyes, then swims away.

The turtle holding Jonathan tries again to drag him away but once more Jonathan stands firm. Irritated by his resistance, the creature strikes at him with its claws but causes only minor wounds. This movement makes it more of a target, and Agatha successfully blasts it, causing it to sink down dead to the floor with Jonathan in tow.

Whilst Jonathan is extricating himself from the dead turtle, Gribron follows the other creature. He hurls an orb of acid at it but it doesn’t seem to notice. However, it has recovered from its momentary illness and heads for the nearest target – namely Gribron. It bites him, but fails to achieve a grip on him.

Agatha flies in above the water – who knew she could do that? – and blasts it. The creature roars in defiance, and Ambar thrusts the sword of Anyariel into its open mouth. The second monster dies. An inspection of the corpse reveals more evidence of biomancy – this is clearly no ordinary turtle.

Gribron investigates the surrounding rooms.

He finds one room contains only a lever – apparently connected to a trap of some kind situated to the north. A careful search of the corridor to the north of the room reveals a spear trap, which is a recent construction. Clearly there is more here than would be expected from an ancient prison; it looks like they are in the right place.

Another door reveals a waterlogged room which is home to a horde of rats. They are happily swimming around, but occasionally give off sparks from their teeth and fur. Fire Tomb rats! Gribron closes the door.

The last room is more interesting. The knee deep water is full of dead fish. At the far end is a large metal chest. Above it on a shelf are a dozen or so bottles which appear to contain alcohol.

Jonathan fires his crossbow. There is a squelchy sound as the bolt strikes home, which doesn’t seem like metal on metal. Jonathan shrugs and starts to reload. Gribron hunts around in his pack and pulls out a vial of acid. He hurls it at the chest. It strikes home, but there is no effect – even though normally splashing acid on metal would give rise to some sort of reaction.

“Are you done?” asks Jonathan.

“For the moment,” replies Gribron.

Jonathan fire another bolt at the chest, which again strikes home with an unusual sound. Even more unusually, the chest then starts to move through the water towards Jonathan and Gribron.

“I’ve got a bad feeling about this,” says Gribron. “Does the chest have hundreds of little legs?”

“Can’t see under the water,” says Jonathan. He drops his crossbow and pulls out his mace, preparing to strike the chest once it comes within range. Unfortunately for him, the slow moving chest suddenly manifests a ten foot long arm, which swings out and bashes him. In addition to being damaged by the blow, Jonathan also finds himself stuck fast.

Enraged, Jonathan strikes out with his spiked gauntlet – only to have that struck to the chest as well!

Fortunately, Ambar and Agatha step forward at this point. The catfolk strikes the chest a telling blow, and nimbly avoids getting the sword of Anyariel stuck in its adhesive. Agatha follows up with a blast of eldritch energy which reduces the creature to an amorphorous pile of goo.

There are numerous coins stuck to the creature’s base, but they turn out to be copper. However, the bottles of alcohol on the shelf behind it are worth some money.

Last edited:

Remove ads