Warcraft Expansions

JoeGKushner

First Post
How are those novels anyway? I looked at the one about Thrall for a bit, got up to the part where he was a slave, and it wasn't bad. Not great reading or anything, but certainly no worse than the Scarred Lands trilogy.

MasterLich

First Post
Yah i got all 3 of them:
Day of the Dragon
The thrall one (cant remember the name)
The last guardian

The reading is easy, not all that hard to read. They are ok. At the end of the Thrall one you get a good idea of what the Orcs truely are. Grom Hellscream is my favorite character in the entire game/novels/universe, too bad he is dead now, or is he....?? :) A guy who went into the depths of Hell, came back, went down again, and came back to kick ass one last time :)

he last guardian happens during warcraft 1 and Day of the Dragon happened just b4 the Tides of Darkness. Dragon gives a good idea on how paladins are in WC, egomaniacs, womenizing, do-gooder freaks. They kick ass. And tells you something of the Dragons in WC, Y they not all evil.

Beastman

First Post
die_kluge said:
I guess all I'm saying is that, in my opinion, Warcraft the RPG, doesn't really add anything more to the game that I can

Well, there is so many stuff out there in these days and I think half of that (minimum) you can create with the PHB, DMG and MM.

die_kluge said:
Call me a naysayer, but the Warcraft "world" has to be the most uninspired thing ever. I can do much, much more with, say, the FR campaign book. The depth and detail far surpasses anything in any of the Warcraft games.

Mmmh, it's exactly that deep of the FRCS, that is annoying to me. All is clustered with too much stuff, too much detail. I feel limited by that much stuff, giving me a feeling that all is set and done within the realms. But different people have different tastes...

die_kluge said:
In Warcraft, you have elves, orcs, humans, and undead. D&D has all that. In Warcraft, you have a handful of spells. D&D has hundreds of spells. In Warcraft, goblins are limited in scope. In D&D, goblins can be wizards, or clerics if you want them to be.

Mmh, I would not judge a setting because of the number of spells or feats or whatsoever. That's the judgement of a min-maxer and not someone interessted in roleplaying (no insult meant here!). A setting is more than that and I think there's no need to make a list, but one of the things included is originality and innovation: let's see if the WCRP shows this

Furthermore: show me a setting where there are no orcs, humans, undead or elves (perhaps they are there hidden by a "false name")

I have preodered the WCRPG book long ago, because I'm a D&D fan and I liked they Warcraft RTS games (including WCIII + expansion). I hold back my opinion about the WCRPG until I read through the book. I expect the WCRP to give me a good glimpse of the world and it's background, as well as living descriptions of the most important places. I also expect superb art.

And yes, I'm looking foreward to this book, because I expect it to use up as much of my precious time as the computer games, but with a few friends at the same table and not facing the cold glass of my monitor.

Last edited:

MasterLich

First Post
K, In the warcraft universe, upto this point, ONLY Humans/high elves ever become wizards, clerics or paladins (humans only fer this, correct me if i am wrong). That is a racial restriction. EX: If i were a wizard and part of the Dalaran, which was the only wizard guild/place to learn, and beause becoming a wizard is a trained skill, Y would i want a goblin or an orc or a dwarf (not that they would) or any of the other races in my guild? Y would i want another race to gain our secrets, espicially goblins.

Also Goblins are not very trust worthy. But all this is a moot point until we get the core rules. I believe someone said the a goblin could become anything, personnally i would DM this rule, but the DM can change any of the rules, cant he? Besides, Goblins make kick ass machinery, they are tinkerers, ala Knomes. But they still are not trusted.

PS: This post was not meant to insult any1. It is just fact upto this point.

Also: No goblins were hurt in the making of this post. I know i have been picking on them and they understand, we are still good friends, until i backstab them... eh.... did i say that out loud again??

Dark Jezter

First Post
Someone up above said that D&D already has stats for orcs, which is true. However, Warcraft orcs are a lot different than traditional D&D orcs.

Traditional D&D orcs are chaotic-evil brutes who live only to pillage and slaughter (and in turn be slaughtered by advanturers).

Warcraft orcs are an honorable, yet savage race with a spiritual culture based on the ancient practice of shamanism. I'd also say that Warcraft orcs have stats more in common with a bugbear than a D&D orc. Warcraft orcs are strong and tough, but not as mindless as their D&D counterparts.

In fact, the stats for the orc race is one of the things I'm most looking forward to about the Warcraft RPG.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
JoeGKushner said:
So Nightfall, what books exactly do you have material in?

Inquiring minds want to know.

And heck, I bet if you do get the Warcraft book, you'll probably do the same thing as me and just pop those classes,races, PrCs, Feats, Spells, Magic Items, feats and other goodies right into your standard campaign.

More than likely. ;) But as to what books I'm in. Check out the Player's Guide to Wizards, Bards and Sorcerers (a few spells is all)
and Player's Guide to Rangers and Rogues (I did more substanial work in that one. But I can't say much more other than I helped out alot in the appendix for the Pr-classes.)

Dark Jezter

First Post
BTW, looks like there is now a web page up for the Warcraft RPG at SSS's site. It can be found here.

In addition to the Warcraft RPG book, which will be featuring new races, new base classes, new prestige classes, etc. there will also be a series of Warcraft RPG suppliments. Such as...

Manual of Monsters: A monster manual for the Warcraft seetting.
Alliance & Horde Compendium: This looks to be a book that has new feats, spells, prestige classes, and even mass combat rules.
Shadows & Light: A suppliment about deities and religion in the Warcraft world.
Magic & Mayhem: A book full of new spells, feats, magic items, and technologies.
Lands of Azeroth: Details about all the lands in the world of Warcraft, as well as the history.

These all sound very cool to a Warcraft fan like myself, but I'm especially looking forward to the Manual of Monsters and the Alliance & Horde Compendium (for the mass combat rules).

JoeGKushner

First Post
The nice thing is that the Alliance and Horde Compendium looks like its going to update the thing to Frozen Throne timeline with blood elves and other goods. Naga maybe?

DanMcS

Explorer
FDP Mike said:
The translation of the RTS to a pen-and-paper game, I think, has been done beautifully, precisely because Deirdre Brooks (the developer) specifically attempted to make Warcraft a roleplaying game as opposed to a direct "simulation" of the computer game. And, no, they're not paying me to say that. :)

I'm glad to hear it, and I'm glad blizzard is allowing another shot, because there was a Starcraft RPG boxed set for Alternity, and from what I hear, it was uninspired. Pretty much a straight port of the computer game to the alternity mechanics, without really expanding any setting material or new things. Whether this was Blizzard exercising too strict of editorial control, or a failure by Wizards, is anyone's guess. I'm still trying to get my hands on one though.

Since they're back into the licensing biz, it's not far-fetched to think a Warcraft computer RPG could come out. Blizzand is kind-of doing one for Starcraft, but it's going to be PS2/xbox/console only, and it has been outsourced to another company.

Remove ads