Warcraft Expansions

wolff96

First Post
MarauderX said:
I trust Blizzard to put forward kick @$$ products even though they annoyingly move the release dates back time and again, and I think the RPG will be the same.

Actually, it this very tendency of delaying games that makes me buy everything Blizzard produces.

They release quality products. The first time.

Granted, some changes need to be made. Balance issues that aren't seen during development, minor memory issues, whatever. But you can be SURE that a Blizzard product will run well and be a lot of fun right out of the box.

If only more game companies followed the same business model and didn't release beta-test quality software as a finished product.

JoeGKushner

First Post
FDP Mike said:

the Warcraft RPG is "standard d20" through and through. There are some differences in which core classes are available, but that's to model the Warcraft world more closely. (For instance, druids, paladins, and rangers are handled as PrC's; the healer core class replaces the cleric, but there's also a priest PrC; the scout core class "replaces" the ranger, etc.) Any new mechanics, such as for handling technological devices, are built on d20 rules. Game play is exactly as you know it in D&D/d20.

For those who like -- or dislike -- some of the "anti-heroes," the upcoming Manual of Monsters will give you a treat or two. But that's all I can say for now. Honest. :D

Take care,
Mike

Now this sounds very promising. It's looking more and more like another sale.

What's worse is that I don't plan to run it as the Warcraft world but to liberarly steal from it. When Warcraft 3 came out, I utilized a lot of the elements there using books like Wrath & Rage, the City of Skraag, and other books that focused on the Orcs, as well as the thousand or so books that focus on Necromancers.

der_kluge

Adventurer
Call me a naysayer, but the Warcraft "world" has to be the most uninspired thing ever. I can do much, much more with, say, the FR campaign book. The depth and detail far surpasses anything in any of the Warcraft games.

In Warcraft, you have elves, orcs, humans, and undead. D&D has all that. In Warcraft, you have a handful of spells. D&D has hundreds of spells. In Warcraft, goblins are limited in scope. In D&D, goblins can be wizards, or clerics if you want them to be.

I just don't see why anyone would need the Warcraft books to recreate the two-dimensional world that is Warcraft. I mean, all you have to do is eliminate all the monsters, and populate the world with a few interesting creatures here and there (maybe a few giants, or some wolves), and then create cities of Orcs, cities of undead, cities of elves, and then cities of humans.

Talk about boring.

JoeGKushner

First Post
I think a lot of it is the personality and charm of the setting.

The humans and their steampunk (before steampunk was cool!)

The dwarves and their funny accents.

The orcs and their long history.

The turning of the campaign setting completely updside down with long term affects.

I'm not saying that the setting is 100% original. Heck, even the Frozen Throne borrows from H.P. Lovecraft with the Nameless Ones and the Forgotten Elder (or whatever it was called) but it's a very visual medium.

In the Forgotten Realms, I never really felt any connection to the faceless hordes of Orcs in the North.

Now Red Wizards and Zhents on the other hand, have a lot of personality. I'm hoping that I can use the material here to give other races that personality as I find that the elves and humans of FR don't really have that much to offer in terms of unique factors from one another.

Krug

Newshound
die_kluge said:
Call me a naysayer, but the Warcraft "world" has to be the most uninspired thing ever. I can do much, much more with, say, the FR campaign book. The depth and detail far surpasses anything in any of the Warcraft games.

In Warcraft, you have elves, orcs, humans, and undead. D&D has all that. In Warcraft, you have a handful of spells. D&D has hundreds of spells. In Warcraft, goblins are limited in scope. In D&D, goblins can be wizards, or clerics if you want them to be.

I just don't see why anyone would need the Warcraft books to recreate the two-dimensional world that is Warcraft. I mean, all you have to do is eliminate all the monsters, and populate the world with a few interesting creatures here and there (maybe a few giants, or some wolves), and then create cities of Orcs, cities of undead, cities of elves, and then cities of humans.

Talk about boring.

What about Taurens, and Pandarens, and Spirit Nagas? :D

FR has had a longer history. When it first started out, few people saw how it was different from other generic fantasy worlds. Actually, a lotta ppl still point to it and consider it the biggest plain-vanilla elves-dwarves-orcs-drow fantasy world.

MarauderX

Explorer
die_kluge said:

Talk about boring.

Well, that's the difference between real-time strategy video and RPG games. The story lines have always been there in WC3, and I think they could make some very deep RPGs out of the campaign world they have built just from a war game. If Blizzard let SSI develope the world using their RPG game engines, do you think you might enjoy it more?

But perhaps we are of differing tastes; I was disappointed with FR the first time it came out, and never been pleased since. I could go on about Elminster=Gandalf, how the heart of any intrigue is the same contrived mess, but I think that should be saved for another thread.

I'm not sure how you can compare the WC-RPG world with D&D quite yet, as the former has yet to be released, but from what they have posted it is another setting, just like Oriental Adventures or if you like, FR. It's your choice, no one is making you use it.

FDP Mike

First Post
die_kluge said:

Okay: you're a naysayer. :D

At this point, I really don't think you can compare the as-of-yet unreleased Warcraft RPG with the Forgotten Realms. It's kind of like you're asking the new kid to have the same experience, depth, and detail as the 20-year veteran. The scales are vastly different, so to speak. Moreover, there's only so much "depth and detail" you can communicate in an RTS compared to 20-plus years of published supplements -- yet I would say that a good portion of Warcraft's success as an RTS relies upon the "depth and detail" that the game does present and communicate.

So, effectively, you're not giving Warcraft a chance before it's even released as a roleplaying game, which, one would assume, is a much different expression of world building and development than a computer game.

The translation of the RTS to a pen-and-paper game, I think, has been done beautifully, precisely because Deirdre Brooks (the developer) specifically attempted to make Warcraft a roleplaying game as opposed to a direct "simulation" of the computer game. And, no, they're not paying me to say that. :)

I'm going to type this bit again: the official title (and focus) of the game is the Dungeons & Dragons Warcraft Roleplaying Game. :)

What this means is that the Warcraft RPG is effectively a D&D game, but in a particular setting -- much like, as it happens, the Forgotten Realms (or Greyhawk, or Kalamar, or Oriental Adventures).

You can use all the D&D spells, plus the new spells in the Warcraft core book (and future supplements). You can play goblins as a PC race, which means they're not limited at all; they can be rogues, fighters, barbarians, healers, scouts, tinkers, and so on. You can also play orcs and tauren as PC races (in fact, one might say, orcs are probably next to humans as one of the "core" races). Once the Manual of Monsters comes out, you'll be able to play several other creatures as PC races.

If you're basing your assumptions on the RTS, I guess that's all you can do at this point. Yet don't limit the possibilities of the RPG to the computer game medium and format. Azeroth as interpreted in the RPG will be just as rich as any campaign world, and certainly as distinct.

This is, to be blunt, awfully reductionist and simplistic. "Two-dimensionsal" is your opinion, but the picture you develop in the above paragraph is nothing like what the RPG does. Suffice to say, the authors and developers (including Bob Fitch and Chris Metzen of Blizzard, who have contributed a TON of material so far) have created an RPG campaign world that's far from two-dimensional. Just the core book material on Kalimdor alone will demonstrate why your picture barely does justice to the setting or the RPG.

Talk about boring.

Well, you are entitled to your opinion.

What's coming out, though, is far from boring.

Trust me. :D

Take care,
Mike

Coik

First Post
FDP Mike said:

Rest assured, Joe: the Warcraft RPG is "standard d20" through and through... Game play is exactly as you know it in D&D/d20.

Does that mean it uses alignment and fire-and-forget magic?

If so, it won't be enough to keep me from buying it...but the spring in my step as I go to do so will be noticably smaller.

And if so, it's not really a big deal...axe alignment for faction allegance, axe wizards for sorcerers (and mebbie give them a slightly more generous spell progression). Done and done.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases