Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 4E Details Emerge

Redditor Paidin_Brewer reported new insights about Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 4th Edition by Cubicle 7 from PAX Unplugged. What follows are the details the redditor learned -- early summer 2018 release, draws heavily on 1E and 2E, and no re-issued versions of older campaigns.

Redditor Paidin_Brewer reported new insights about Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 4th Edition by Cubicle 7 from PAX Unplugged. What follows are the details the redditor learned -- early summer 2018 release, draws heavily on 1E and 2E, and no re-issued versions of older campaigns.

WFRP-4th-Logo-550.jpg

"In hopes of breaking loose some more information on the upcoming 4th edition of Warhammer Fantasy, I stopped by the Cubicle 7 booth at Pax Unplugged. The employee I spoke to was very excited about the upcoming 4e as a player, but wasn’t on that specific marketing team. He mostly stuck to the talking points others have reported here, but he was helpful in clarifying a few questions I had. I wasn’t recording the discussion, so you’re stuck with my memories unfortunately. Hopefully these tid-bits will help you all too."

We’ve heard this game will be out by the end of the year, is it still on track for a release around Christmas?

He has seen the cover art and it’s great, but it is very unlikely to be out by the end of the calendar year. What they meant was that it will be out before the end of the Fiscal Year, or sometime in the early Summer of 2018

Will the career system still be the primary form of advancement?

He couldn’t confirm how the character would advance, but the system will draw heavily on 1e and 2e. Some of the refinements from 3e will be present if you know where to look for them, but by and large it’ll be dice based like the older versions.

There is a ton of great Warhammer material published in 1e / 2e, will you be re-issuing campaigns with updated rulesets?

Very, very unlikely. Little to no money to be made selling products already widely available. Fans are encouraged to update the existing campaigns on their own. Some conversation guidance may be offered in the future.

More information can be found over at Grim & Perilious.
[FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT]

Very, very unlikely. Little to no money to be made selling products already widely available. Fans are encouraged to update the existing campaigns on their own. Some conversation guidance may be offered in the future.

Sounds like they have been talking to the folks at WotC. lol

Considering that 'The Enemy Within' campaign/adventure path was never properly finished, and is not available for any reasonable coin, I think there is a lot of money to be made with a reboot of that. Not a 'inspired by' like 3E's version, which was good but it wasn't TEW.

Looking forward to getting this, C7's take on LotR with TOR and AiME have been exceptionally good.

Just regarding the 'political' and 'dark' representation of WFRP above, I think it's a bit of a misrepresentation. It wasn't just grim dark and spikes and guts. It wasn't 'politically incorrect' (heck they detailed a 'Komission for Minority Races' in one of the city supplements).

What made it unique at the time was it's focus on unlikely, unheralded, ordinary people finding themselves in epic adventures. The conspiracies and such were occultish and had dark chaos gods and cults as antagonists, but they weren't going out of their way to make particularly offensive material, just quality stories similar to those being done in games like Call of Cthulhu and RuneQuest. There were some punkish references, like Troll Slayers with mohicans, but not to the extent that seems to be suggested here. The general tone was not dissimilar to Lord of the Rings, just advanced into later timeline-based setting (pre-Renaisaance era).

Last edited by a moderator:

JeffB

Legend
It's a shame they won't redevelop The Enemy Within Campaign, as it's actually not widely available (legally anyway), and is as much a classic campaign as things like Masks of Nyarlathotep for Call of Cthulhu. I hope they at least see more of the 1st Ed titles returned to PDF format in due course.

Agreed. AFAIC the BEST thing about original WHFRP are products like TEW campaign/adventures. The rules I can take or leave (mostly leave).

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
1e had a bad magic system but I love the 2e system where spells are not a sure thing and the more power you put into them the more chance you may just lose control. If 4e loses that its a deal breaker for me. though its going to have to do something special to knock off 2e for me.

pming

Legend
Hiya!

Surely you've checked out Zweihänder, right??

Yuppers! I've been keeping tabs since he started the project way back in...er..well, years ago, I'm sure. I actually tried to order two hardbacks the other day, but for some reason my paypal account wasn't accessible. I'll try later today and just use a credit card I guess.

Still have all my 1e stuff (hardback and three or four other things; shadows over bogenhoffen, enemy within and the character sheet pack...maybe something else I can't remember). Still use my Realms of Chaos WHFB hardback books with it all as well (hence my request/hope for "punk stuff, nudity, etc"). The 2e WHFRP game me a sort of "edited for television" feel I never liked.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Daniel D. Fox

Explorer
Hiya!

Yuppers! I've been keeping tabs since he started the project way back in...er..well, years ago, I'm sure. I actually tried to order two hardbacks the other day, but for some reason my paypal account wasn't accessible. I'll try later today and just use a credit card I guess.

Still have all my 1e stuff (hardback and three or four other things; shadows over bogenhoffen, enemy within and the character sheet pack...maybe something else I can't remember). Still use my Realms of Chaos WHFB hardback books with it all as well (hence my request/hope for "punk stuff, nudity, etc"). The 2e WHFRP game me a sort of "edited for television" feel I never liked.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Author of Zweihander here. ;-)

If you are interested, here's the Black Friday discount code for DriveThruRPG - (normally $55, reduced to $49.99) http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?discount=9ff8b13e9b

Enjoy, and happy gaming!

R

RevTurkey

1e had a bad magic system but I love the 2e system where spells are not a sure thing and the more power you put into them the more chance you may just lose control. If 4e loses that its a deal breaker for me. though its going to have to do something special to knock off 2e for me.

Funny, but I liked 1st Ed magic better...and the whole game in general (although I admit it is decades since I played it). I liked 2e the least and hated the magic system. So swings and roundabouts eh.

Remove ads

Remove ads