D&D 5E Warlock 1/long rest Invocations

ad_hoc

(they/them)
How do we feel about these? Out of the 32 invocations, 7 of them are in the format of: Cast X spell using a spell slot 1/long rest.

1st: Bane
5th: Bestow Curse
5th: Slow
7th: Compulsion
7th: Confusion
7th: Polymorph
9th: Conjure Elemental

I like the idea, but a limited extra spell known is usually pretty weak for an invocation.

The easy change would be to have it be free 1/long rest at the base spell level. I wonder how this change would look after the Warlock has taken 3 or 4 of these. That may be too many spell slots.

I wonder if something in between would work better with a restriction of only being able to have 1 of them at a time.

What do you think? Leave it as is or change it? And if so, how?

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Here is a proposed change. I have removed the 2 most powerful spells and tied them together in a theme.

Curse
When you select this invocation choose any one spell below. You may cast this spell without expending a spell slot. You can't do so again until you finish a long rest.

Bane
Prerequisite 5th level: Bestow Curse
Prerequisite 5th level: Slow
Prerequisite 7th level: Compulsion
Prerequisite 7th level: Confusion
Prerequisite 9th level: Geas

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
Points to clarify:

1. I assume this invocation becomes available at 5th level; true?

2a. Is this invocation progressive, in that as the warlock gains levels, he/she can choose any prerequisite-appropriate spell from the list?

2b. Or must the warlock choose 1 specific spell from the list when first taking the invocation?

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Points to clarify:

1. I assume this invocation becomes available at 5th level; true?

2a. Is this invocation progressive, in that as the warlock gains levels, he/she can choose any prerequisite-appropriate spell from the list?

2b. Or must the warlock choose 1 specific spell from the list when first taking the invocation?

It is available at 1st level.

If you want to change the spell you need to replace it with itself. Allowing a change of spells each level might be simpler.

You only choose one spell.

mellored

Legend
I would just add bane, bestow curse, slow, compulsion, and confusion to the warlock spell list. Then add an invocation "You learn 3 more spells."

Polymorph and conjure elements can invocations, free 1/day.

Last edited:

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I would just add bane, bestow curse, slow, compulsion, and confusion to the warlock spell list. Then add an invocation "You learn 3 more spells."

Polymorph and conjure elements can invocations, free 1/day.

That is a good, simple solution too. Not sure you even need polymorph and conjure elementals.

I think 3 is about the right number too.

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
WotC was obviously worried that certain spells would be too powerful with the short rest recharge mechanic that warlocks use, and so they made those spells 1/day invocations. However, I think they were being a bit too cautious.

The thing that disappoints me about these invocations is that they cost a spell slot. The way I see it, invocations are supposed to make up for the warlock's limited number of spell slots by providing additional options. Most of them do just that by providing at-will spells or other, cool, "always on" features. I think these invocations would be much more worthwhile if they let you cast the spell 1/day without expending a spell slot.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I have to say, the "1 spell per day, without using a spell slot" seems balanced.

Now.. what if a warlock *only* took those? Well... it would be a bit less... warlocky... but she would be denying herself a lot of other good evocations. Would it mess the balance though?

I would also say that the spell is cast at the "minimal slot required" and not at a higher level slot.

Remove ads