• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warlock Optimization

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
After a run in with a higher powered Dictum spell, we found 4/5ths of our party paralyzed. I looked all around trying to figure out what the warlock could or couldn't do and I skipped over the somatic component part. Is it hidden somewhere obvious?

DS

szilard

First Post
Sabathius42 said:
After a run in with a higher powered Dictum spell, we found 4/5ths of our party paralyzed. I looked all around trying to figure out what the warlock could or couldn't do and I skipped over the somatic component part. Is it hidden somewhere obvious?

It is listed, I believe, under the armor proficiency section where it talks about arcane spell failure.

-Stuart

emphasis added for clarity.

Page 7 said:
"..Because the somatic components required for warlock invocations are relatively simple, a warlock can use any of his invocations while wearing light armor without incurring the normal arcane spell failure chance. However, like arcane spellcasters, a warlock wearing medium or heavy armor or using a shield incurs a chance of arcane spell failure (all invocations, including eldritch blast, have a somatic component).

RigaMortus2

First Post
tecnowraith said:
Hey all, need some advice on choosing the right invocations at 6th level. The one Invocation I gonna choose and keep is Fell Flight. The other is eldritch Spear. I have the Extra Invocation feat already so I deciding which one sto keep and which one to sitch out.

I made him to be like a spaghetti western type character that is the gambler undertaker that in secret is a gunslinger. So in part the warlock is the undertaker, gambler profession and the gunslinger can be both the eldritch blast and a wand (or two) to get the feel.

Any thoughts or ideas?

I personally like either Fell Flight or the dimension door one (the name escapes me atm). But get one or the other, not both. They are both maneuverability related, so it would be redundant IMHO

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
DungeonMaester said:
How are you going to get fly? not to rain on your idea, but feats dont steak with magic abilities, thus you would need to find some other method of flying other then Invocations. Or keep your DM in the dark. That is always a option :lol:

I disagree with your interpretation here. Flyby Attack only specifies a fly speed as its requirement. It never says that it must be natural. Fell Flight grants a true fly speed to the Warlock, unlike the Fly spell, which has alot of restrictions.

DungeonMaester said:
Other than that, Fly by attack and hover would be a great advantage to a warlock.

Hover is not necessary since Fell Flight has good maneuverability and can hover already.

Last edited:

Particle_Man

Explorer
RigaMortus2 said:
I personally like either Fell Flight or the dimension door one (the name escapes me atm). But get one or the other, not both. They are both maneuverability related, so it would be redundant IMHO

On the other hand, I have taken both for a warlock and had great fun annoying my opponents.

Remove ads