• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warlocks/Wizards at Attack Disadvantage due to no "proficiency" bonus?

moticon

First Post
All classes that attack with weapons are granted a proficiency bonus (+3 for daggers for example).

I'm building a warlock and just realized that even with his 20 con, he's going to be attacking with at +5 to attack rolls, but other classes with weapons and a similar primary stat bonus of +5 would have +7 or +8 based on weapon?

Am I seeing this correctly? Any one know of "proficiency bonus" for wands?

thanks

FadedC

First Post
Also while reflex/well may on average be 2-3 lower, it's also not uncommon for a single defence of a monster to be as many as 7 points lower then his ac. If you have the ability to target multiple defences with your at wills (which warlocks and wizards certainly do) then this can be a huge advantage.

MarkB

Legend
Warlocks can still feel a little weak in at-wills compared to Rangers' Twin Strike (twice as many chances to hit) and Rogues' Piercing Strike (full weapon attack vs. Reflex).

It's true that warlocks will have a greater chance to target non-AC defenses, but those options certainly aren't absent from the rogue and ranger powers, especially the encounter and dailies.

Wizards get to hit multiple targets with many of their attacks, which compensates, but warlocks are pretty much stuck with single-target attacks.

Keenath

Explorer
Warlocks can still feel a little weak in at-wills compared to Rangers' Twin Strike (twice as many chances to hit) and Rogues' Piercing Strike (full weapon attack vs. Reflex).
Twin Strike I can't argue with, because it tends to be better than any other at-will power in the game. Rerolls are powerful stuff.

Piercing is not a big deal, I think. It has a better chance to hit, but the damage is much lower than any of the warlock options except Eyebite (which has its own non-damage special effect).

Piercing strike works only with a light blade, so you max out at d6 damage. Eldritch Blast does d10, which is slightly less than double on average (5.5 damage versus 3.5 damage), while the other two Warlock at-wills are d6 but deal double damage if the condition is fulfilled (taking damage or the enemy getting closer).

Dealing twice the damage with a 15-20% lower chance of a hit seems just fine to me.

NorthSaber

First Post
Piercing strike works only with a light blade, so you max out at d6 damage. Eldritch Blast does d10, which is slightly less than double on average (5.5 damage versus 3.5 damage), while the other two Warlock at-wills are d6 but deal double damage if the condition is fulfilled (taking damage or the enemy getting closer).

Don't forget Rapier (1d8)!

MarkB

Legend
Twin Strike I can't argue with, because it tends to be better than any other at-will power in the game. Rerolls are powerful stuff.

Piercing is not a big deal, I think. It has a better chance to hit, but the damage is much lower than any of the warlock options except Eyebite (which has its own non-damage special effect).

Dealing twice the damage with a 15-20% lower chance of a hit seems just fine to me.

Both the rogue and the warlock will be adding a fixed ability modifier to that damage, so the difference in die sizes doesn't make that much difference to the overall damage - certainly not twice the damage. And in many cases you'll have to factor in the rogue's sneak attack damage, which is greater than the warlock's curse damage - especially with Backstabber.

BlueBlackRed

Explorer
Twin Strike only does weapon damage for each arrow that hits, not weapon damage + Dex modifier. That's enough to make it a little less powerful while still being useful.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads