Warlord: STR-primary, not so much...

Hawkeye

First Post
Sorry, this has been a long tangent. It's just a pet peeve of mine to hear people mock a concept based on how it sounds rather than ask what it means.

I knew what it meant. I was joking about the manner you chose to say it in. "Statistically trained psychologist" can literally mean someone who thinks that statsitics were used to train them as a psychologist instead of someone who was educated and trained in the use of statistics in regards to Psychology. We both know that isn't true. I would expect that since your job emhpasis is closer to pure research that you have had a bit more math than the average psychologist. Given the different mindsets that the two groups generally have, that probably wasn't easy. I have taken both statistics and psychology classes (I may go back and pick up a few more classes to qualify for a third minor) in the pursuit of my degrees. My apologies if I stepped on your toes. It was not intentional. We all have sensitive spots about our respective careers.

Hawkeye

Stalker0

Legend
You can't dump strength as a warlord, but I think its definitely viable as your second stat while pumping int (charisma warlord I think less so).

With an int warlord, every point of int gives me more init, more AC, more reflex, more secondary benefits on my powers. That's some good bonuses.

MwaO

Adventurer
I'm aware there aren't a /lot/ of such powers, but between them, a feat like Hammer Rythm or Scimitar Dance (or some other on-a-miss trick) and multiclasing to swap out the few levels of powers with no good options for powers that use some other stat you are heavily invested in, it seems like you could get away with skimping on (though, hopefully not actually dumping) STR.

I think that actually makes it worse...not only should warlords be high strength, but almost always, they should be using a +3 prof wepaon.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
You can't dump strength as a warlord, but I think its definitely viable as your second stat while pumping int (charisma warlord I think less so).

With an int warlord, every point of int gives me more init, more AC, more reflex, more secondary benefits on my powers. That's some good bonuses.

Intelligence doesn't add to initiative (unless you take the paragon feat that let's a warlord use their Int or Cha bonus instead of the normal +2 initiative that warlords give).

Mirtek

Hero
That +1 isn't 5% all of the time, though. It can be higher or lower depending upon the AC of your target.
Correct. As a rule of thumb (assumed 50% hit chance) the +1 is actually a +10% difference.
Erm... unless you only hit on a natural 20 or only miss on a natural 1, a +1 on a d20 is always a 5% change in probability. These are rare corner-cases in 4e, though.
No, it's almost never a 5% change in probability. It's always a 5 percentage points change, but there's a huge difference between percents and percentage points
According to the Monster Manual, you need to hit AC 48 to hit Orcus. An extra +1 from str is a little more than a 2% increase in chance to hit, mathematically speaking.
Depends on your attack bonus. If you have a +31 to attack an extra +1 would increase your change to hit by 33%, that's a lot.
It's only 5% if your opponent's actual AC is 20.
The actual AC is unimportant. Whether or not the +1 happen to coincide with 5% depends on the difference between your attack bonus and the opponent's AC.
With the D&D system it's actually impossibe for the 5 percentage points increase to ever be a 5 percent increase.

You would get that if you hit on 2-20 without the increase and on 1-20 with the increase. As you can never hit on a 1 it can't happen in D&D.

The closes the 5 percentage point increase gets to also being a 5 percent increase is if you hit on 3-20 without the increase and on 2-20 with the increase. In this case the 5 percentage points increase is also a 5.8 percernt increase. That's the closest to them being equal you can get in D&D

PS: To make the 5 percentage points truly equal 5.0 percent you would need to hit on 1 to 20 without the increase and on -1 to 20 after the increase. Something you can't get on a D20 anyway.

Last edited:

keterys

First Post
I've definitely seen people make the mistake that Int applies to Init (in general), because of the way stat grouping works now.

Correct. As a rule of thumb (assumed 50% hit chance) the +1 is actually a +10% difference.

No, it's almost never a 5% change in probability. It's always a 5 percentage points change, but there's a huge difference between percents and percentage points

Depends on your attack bonus. If you have a +31 to attack an extra +1 would increase your change to hit by 33%, that's a lot.

The actual AC is unimportant. Whether or not the +1 happen to coincide with 5% depends on the difference between your attack bonus and the opponent's AC.
With the D&D system it's actually impossibe for the 5 percentage points increase to ever be a 5 percent increase.

You would get that if you hit on 2-20 without the increase and on 1-20 with the increase. As you can never hit on a 1 it can't happen in D&D.

The closes the 5 percentage point increase gets to also being a 5 percent increase is if you hit on 3-20 without the increase and on 2-20 with the increase. In this case the 5 percentage points increase is also a 5.8 percernt increase. That's the closest to them being equal you can get in D&D

PS: To make the 5 percentage points truly equal 5.0 percent you would need to hit on 1 to 20 without the increase and on -1 to 20 after the increase. Something you can't get on a D20 anyway.

For the warlord, a +1 bonus to hit will increase his chance always by 5%...
it is just a 1 in 20 chance, that your +1 bonus will have an effect each round...

but you will hit about 10% more often...

take the time and think about that, please.

Last edited:

Remove ads