• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warweaver - Heroes of Battle

farscapesg1

First Post
Has anyone taken a good look that this prestige class? The ability to grant a single spell to multiple allies is very tempting. In fact, I'm having a problem seeing how this is not a "must have" class for any buff-centered wizard in an adventuring group.

What is everyone's thoughts on the balance of the class? Sure, you loose one spellcaster level, but you gain the ability to cast your buffing spells on 5+ (assuming an 18 Intelligence or higher) creatures without affecting the spell level or using a higher level "mass" version of the spell.

IcyCool

First Post
It's a team/party oriented prestige class. Since this game is about teamwork and not solo-ing every adventure, I'm happy to see it. It doesn't look too bad to me, to be honest.

farscapesg1

First Post
Well, I agree that I like it because it promotes a team-based character concept.

However, I expected to see more complaints about it since my custom prestige class got some flack for the ability to Augment creatures summoned with another spell. People complained that it basically granted the Quicken Spell feat for free, plus made many single target spells affect multiple targets, something that usually took a spell of 3 or 4 levels higher.

This prestige class gives the caster the ability to cast up to 5 spells with a single move action, still giving him the opportunity to cast a 6th spell in the same round. Sure, this is only once per day and still uses the spell slots, but this is so much more powerful than my Spell Enhanced Summoning option in the Master Summoner class, which was one ability that got a lot of worries about being too powerful.

farscapesg1

First Post
IcyCool said:
Sounds like your master summoner isn't a party oriented booster. Did you post it somewhere? (Link please).

Master Summoner

No, the class wasn't designed as a party oriented booster, but as a booster for summoned creatures. Of course, these extra creatures added to the party's ranks help out the party indirectly ;)

So, because one is designed to boost the party, they can do something that most people would consider to be broken or overpowered for a class that wasn't geared towards the party?

Philip

Explorer
farscapesg1 said:
So, because one is designed to boost the party, they can do something that most people would consider to be broken or overpowered for a class that wasn't geared towards the party?

Exactly! That is why the Cleric is the most powerful class in the game, because a lot of his power often goes towards enhancing his fellows.

Silveras

First Post
I think the fact that the spell level that can be used with the Tapestry ability is limited to the Warweaver class level also helps keep it balanced. Also, it does not change things like range, or make illegal targets legal. The abilities are fairly precise, and gained over a 5-level span.

farscapesg1

First Post
Silveras said:
I think the fact that the spell level that can be used with the Tapestry ability is limited to the Warweaver class level also helps keep it balanced. Also, it does not change things like range, or make illegal targets legal. The abilities are fairly precise, and gained over a 5-level span.

Actually, the 5th level ability increases the range of the spells to the next level. In other words, a touch spell can now be cast in the tapestry with a short range, short range becomes long, etc.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
The meta-game consequences of breaking a support class are less negative than the consequence of breaking a non-support class. A broken support class makes the rest of the party able to do cool things and leaves the other players as vital parts of the team. On the other hand, a broken non-support class, or worse yet, a broken summoning class, will make other characters' actions irrelevant. In the case of a broken summoner, it even means that other players get less in-game time to make their (largely irrelevant) actions because adjudicating the actions of a few summoned creatures will easily double or quadruple the amount of time a summoner takes at the table.

Overpowered classes aren't generally a good idea, but you can get away with more in a support role.

farscapesg1 said:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads