• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Was Thac0 really that bad?

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I like the word, I just don't like the fiddliness.

Try saying the word "THAC0" out loud to a group of non-gamers, while keeping a straight face. Then try to explain to them what it means.

You are all missing the main problem with THAC0. Pronouncing it. Most people pronounce it as thack-oh, when I think it should be pronounced thay-coh. This confusion and discrepancy is really what makes THAC0 evil (see, you pronounced it incorrectly in your head as you were reading this!).

"Thayk-zero" would be more accurate, I think.
We switched pretty quickly to pronouncing it "Thwack-Oh" because it was more fun.

DM "Roll to hit."
Player "I got a 19. I thwackohed all over its ass!"

MortonStromgal

First Post
THAC0 was dumb but not a deal breaker but its come to represent all the goofy bits of the older systems. Like roll 1d6 to see if you notice a secret room and percentiles if you want to pick a lock, and under your open door if you want to break a door open.

for THAC0
1st level fighter I have a THAC0 of 20. my leather armor wearing friend has a AC8. 20-8= 12 I need a 12 or better to hit on my d20. So when doing negative numbers 20 - - 2 (or +2) = 22 needed to hit.

Sometimes you want to roll high, sometimes you want to roll low, you may use any number of die types or stats for the roll, thats just the way AD&D was.

JRRNeiklot

First Post
Sometimes you want to roll high, sometimes you want to roll low, you may use any number of die types or stats for the roll, thats just the way AD&D was.

The beauty of it is you still get to use your dice after they've become cursed, or deserted you. I have a couple D20s that I only use for attribute checks because they seem to always roll low. They thought they had me, but I'm on to them. You hear me, dice? I'M ON TO YOU!!:uhoh:

I can see where everyone is coming from, but I kinda liked the old THAC0 system it's what I learned the D&D game with when first introduced to the hobby. It still gives me that feeling of nostalgia when I here the word "THAC0!"

I can see where everyone is coming from, but I kinda liked the old THAC0 system it's what I learned the D&D game with when first introduced to the hobby. It still gives me that feeling of nostalgia when I here the word "THAC0!"

I agree 100%, I also learned thac0 as my first way to play, and this convertation has brought back some great memories.

I do no realish the idea of having 5 players sitting around the table where 3 of them can't do thac0 though. I already have 1 PC who can't do Basic attacks with out help.

edit: you don't know bad, until you see a 35 year old man stumbling over math, just to watch my 5 year old nephew say "COme on it's easy"

Nebulous

Legend
while enjoyable enough in its day, THAC0 needs to stay dead. More people than not find it more confusing than addition, myself included. But i'm also terrible at math.

I just hope there is some new, intuitive way to reintroduce weapon speeds and segment casting without bogging combat down again. Who knows.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads